DVDVR Message Board

ALL OUT PPV - August 31, 2019

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Did my dude just write 10 paragraphs about a show he only watched, like, 3 full matches of?

*Like 3 matches?  Yes, like 3 matches, er like 6 matches.  I saw the Buy In and the last4 matches in full, and just now Omega-Pac.  I'm hoping that now qualifies my, like, 10 paragraphs.  

I've only watched the main. Here's my thoughts:

First off, Jericho was absolutely the right guy to be your first champion. The biggest name. The biggest social media following. The smartest worker. The best promo. AEW was lucky to sign him. The match was very good and now Hangman Page has a storyline that can play out for quite some time that he's gotta prove he can truly be the top guy that he isn't YET ready to be. Also, it shows that Cody, Kenny and the Bucks aren't "those guys" that just book themselves on top as champions of their own fed. Good work.

BUT....

Do not sit there and tell me you are a new and different alternative to the WWE when your first-ever champion is a part-timer who is almost 50 fucking years old. Because that is exactly what the WWE does. I am so sick of new feds saying their are "different" and "changing the game." There's at least two new wrestling  promotions in Washington State, for example, claiming to be new and innovative...yet they used the same 10-14 locals that every other Washington/Oregon promotion does. So fuck off with that nonsense.

Don't be "different" just strive to be consistently good.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

They are different in that they are trying present a wrestling product as opposed to sports entertainment. 

What an empty, pablum statement. There's a lot of "wrestling products" out there. Even the "sports entertainment" company puts out a couple good ones. Nothing different about putting out a good wrestling product. We're drowning in them right now.

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What an empty, pablum statement. There's a lot of "wrestling products" out there. Even the "sports entertainment" company puts out a couple good ones. Nothing different about putting out a good wrestling product. We're drowning in them right now.

I'm glad they signed Michael Pablum.

Edited by Matt D

As far as buzzwords go, he chose a good one. Certain kinds of wrestling fans have been in their feelings about it for decades. 

Man, JR's old school sensibilities are really shining through and there are times you can practically hear him biting his tongue. His call of the Cracker Barrel Clash was hilarious. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I’m only annoyed by “Sports-Entertainment” when it’s used during shows, or like when they were calling guys “Sports Enterainers” during matches. It’s a little too breaking kayfabe when you are straight up saying what the reality of their  occupation is during a match. They’ve thankfully stopped doing that, and I think they are calling guys “wrestlers” again.

35 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There's a lot of "wrestling products" out there. 

And how many of them are on a huge platform like TNT? Yeah, none. Right now all we have is WWE to watch on television. Not all wrestling fans sit around on their computer and watch shit like MLW on YouTube or subscribe to IW.TV for Beyond and whatnot.

That’s how they’re an alternative. I would agree with you if all they were doing was putting on monthly shows like other promotions, but they have a TV contract - and it’s not one of those rinky dink channels like BeIn or whatever channel Impact was on (still on? I don’t know).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

And how many of them are on a huge platform like TNT? Yeah, none. Right now all we have is WWE to watch on television. Not all wrestling fans sit around on their computer and watch shit like MLW on YouTube or subscribe to IW.TV for Beyond and whatnot.

That’s how they’re an alternative. I would agree with you if all they were doing was putting on monthly shows like other promotions, but they have a TV contract - and it’s not one of those rinky dink channels like BeIn or whatever channel Impact was on (still on? I don’t know).

I'm happy that people have what they consider to be easy access to an alternative to main roster WWE. But I don't accept their content is all that different than any of the other wrestling that's out there. Of course that comes with the caveats of a small sample size, us not seeing the TNT show yet, etc. 

Also, the notion that someone needs to be parked behind their computer to partake in internet content is foreign to me. It being 2019, I like to think most people are tech savvy enough to watch what they want to watch on whatever screen they prefer. I can't imagine all these cord cutters aren't finding ways to check out content on that big screen their couch is facing.

But maybe I'm giving people too much credit. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm so old time that I don't own a smartphone, but I go on my cable box, search "wrestling" and come up with WWC, CMLL, Championship Wrestling from Hollywood and Arizona, MLW, Smash, plus old stuff from New Japan, AAA, and TNA. There is more than WWE on television.

Edited by ka-to
Spelled than wrong, should have spelled telebision like Dusty
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ka-to said:

I'm so old time that I don't own a smartphone, but I go on my cable box, search "wrestling" and come up with WWC, CMLL, Championship Wrestling from Hollywood and Arizona, MLW, Smash, plus old stuff from New Japan, AAA, and TNA. There is more that WWE on television.

I search wrestling on Xfinity and I get documentaries about Christianity with the word wrestling in the title. Not all service providers have the same content on their OnDemand service.

I work with a guy who watches WWE when he was a kid up until like 2005, and only watches old YouTube clips of that stuff. He didn’t know the Network was a thing. He’s a lapsed fan. These people exist, whether you guys want to believe it or not, and presenting a product on cable TV that isn’t WWE is a big step forward for those people that still have interest but don’t have time to find other things.

• Like 1

Well I mean if you use the search function on a cable box it pulls up OnDemand stuff and actual programs you can record from live TV when they air.

I don’t get the channel Impact is/was on, same with MLW. When I went from Dish to Xfinity when I moved, I lost El Rey. I’ve never seen Smash on any provider I’ve ever had. Might have the AAA/CMLL shows, but I’ve legit tried searching “wrestling” and I get stuff like “Wrestling with God” or show times for WWE PPVs or Raw/Smackdown. Granted I live in rural Tennessee, so... coverage might be a little more limited here for wrestling content on TV providers around here I guess?

• Like 1

Oh, I'm happy there's wrestling that's aspiring to reach a mass audience. I think that's great. And I'm not denying the existence of lapsed fans. I just don't see the big "difference" in the product except that it's aggressively putting itself in front of eyeballs. The rest is just wrestling. 

I know people are busy, but googling can get somebody pretty far with minimal time invested. If there's a genuine interest, then there are plenty of resources and no excuse to be a lazy consumer. If they haven't put in minimal effort to find something worth watching, they might just be gone for good and happy with their memories and nostalgia. I'm not sure that's something that can be solved by TNT showing Nick Jackson nearly killing himself clipping the top rope on a fall. I could be wrong though. Presentation goes a long way. Something looking big league will always be better than the alternative.  

Getting back to the thread's topic, I was already wrong on a couple things regarding this show. I was stunned to see Kenny vs PAC on so early. Seems to show some awareness of just how dense the top of the card was. Of course seeing the crowd's reaction to the Riho and Dark Order matches, maybe those should have gone on earlier. They needed a break after the the Cracker Barrel Clash, or they needed to follow with something worth getting excited about. Those two matches weren't it. 

Also, I'm really excited to see if this "Kenny left his heart in Tokyo" story is something they have big plans for when the weekly TV starts up. I like the potential. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1