DVDVR Message Board

ALL OUT PPV - August 31, 2019

RIPPA

Tony Khan stated they fucked up on the Pharaoh stuff. Never again. They should've remembered how freaked out he was the last time. 

Reddit guy that broke the Kylie Ray news said the person telling him this pointed to their neck and head as reasons why she's had to retire. It's awful awful awful stuff for her and the division is apparently in flux as a result. They don't have a clear and obvious star, as much as they want Nyla and Baker to be stars they aren't anywhere near good or charismatic enough. Sadly, I don't see any of their current women's competitors as ready to lead a division. They need to gank somebody soon. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

As for the Pharaoh noise moment, I thought it was stupid having the dog near loud noises. But I guess the wrong pyro went off, or an extra one that shouldn’t have went off. Which is better in theory that they didn’t plan to have Pharaoh get scared, but very bad on the production side that unplanned explosions are going off. Very very bad.

Maybe Cody needs to work on simpler entrances between this and the throne spot getting botched live.

Edwards is one of the best. She did a fucking fantastic job in the main event. 

It really is condemning that Spears was the weakest link and 4th most important guy in a match that featured two men in their 60s. All this in his most important match of his career. Totally agree with EVA that his weak ass performance here justified their booking decision. What a whole lot of nothing. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Maybe Cody needs to work on simpler entrances between this and the throne spot getting botched live.

Maybe a cool hat. That’ll do the trick.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Reddit guy that broke the Kylie Ray news said the person telling him this pointed to their neck and head as reasons why she's had to retire. It's awful awful awful stuff for her and the division is apparently in flux as a result. They don't have a clear and obvious star, as much as they want Nyla and Baker to be stars they aren't anywhere near good or charismatic enough. Sadly, I don't see any of their current women's competitors as ready to lead a division. They need to gank somebody soon. 

Terrible news. I enjoyed her and hope she’s not living in pain. She had likable quality to her.

as for the other women, I’m halfway with you. They don’t have that clear stand out star like the WWE has with some of their talent. But I have high hopes on Baker and Nyla. I think with TV we’ll be able to see personalities more. Maybe someone will stand out. I’m confused by who is full time and who will be part time. Yuka will be a fan favorite but is she only signed for once a month? I could see Jazz being big. Nyla Rose being a monster will probably get her over. Dentists are neat. I haven’t seen too many of any of their promo work so we’ll see who the best talker is. I really like Brandi’s charisma, but I’m still confused by her character. Big Swole has a badass name. 

I mean, the plan all along could have just been to elevate Cody further and Spears, good hand that he is, was a perfect tool for that. He's not good enough to outshine Cody in the ring, but they can craft a good though story to make a win over Spears look like a big enough deal.

As for Cody, I've been a big fan of his for a long while more. Again, this is the only place that I see Cody get shit on as much as he does. Dude's a star, he's really good in the ring, and he's even better on the mic.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, the plan all along could have just been to elevate Cody further and Spears, good hand that he is, was a perfect tool for that. He's not good enough to outshine Cody in the ring, but they can craft a good though story to make a win over Spears look like a big enough deal.

I agree with that. He’d be good for say, a Darby Allen, or a Jungle Boy. Guys who the company sees a future in, and that need a singles win to get them on that track. Spears has also proven that he can garner heat for being a smarmy prick who doesn’t realize he can’t be a star, and who Tully only hooked up with him because he wanted to fuck with the Rhodes family. You put Jungle Boy up against that, and if anybody is anti-Jungle Boy(Which I haven’t seen), then they won’t with that match up.

I hope Tully’s feud with Cody isn’t done. I could see a Tully’s army in the future with the way this is going.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I wasn't feeling Kenny/PAC on first viewing, but I went back and watched it again this morning without the beer goggles on and it was excellent. Excluding the botch I enjoyed the story for what it was. JR holding the viewers hand and elaborating on Kenny's attention being on Mox was a nice touch, as was him calling PAC a ''dumb bastard'' for not making a cover during the match. I do think Kenny is still getting to grips with the new audience, some of his pandering felt unnecessary and plodding at times. Pac though, is just the business. Head and shoulders above the rest, and he knows it too. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe it will lead to Tully bringing in Tessa as his ace. 

That’d be perfect. We’ll see if Tessa wants to leave Impact. She kind of owes them for the way they’ve helped re-brand her image as not only a women’s wrestler, but as a “wrestler” period.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

I wasn't feeling Kenny/PAC on first viewing, but I went back and watched it again this morning without the beer goggles on and it was excellent. Excluding the botch I enjoyed the story for what it was. JR holding the viewers hand and elaborating on Kenny's attention being on Mox was a nice touch, as was him calling PAC a ''dumb bastard'' for not making a cover during the match. I do think Kenny is still getting to grips with the new audience, some of his pandering felt unnecessary and plodding at times. Pac though, is just the business. Head and shoulders above the rest, and he knows it too. 

Loved how it wasn’t “Just a match” like the Cima match. This was a clash of stars, that scouted each other thoroughly. Countering each other’s spots throughout the match. Not too dissimilar to Omega’s matches with Okada.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe it will lead to Tully bringing in Tessa as his ace. 

Best case scenario. This division needs Banks and Blanchard badly. 

Edit: Omega is at his best hunting down a rival. Pac can be his new Okada if Pac is with the company long-term. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Agreed the women's division lacks a true star. Not sure if Brandi was supposed to be in that slot but aping Steph's heel boss mannerisms hasn't helped her with the fans. I thought Allie might step up but she's not in that high level tier yet. I know some people think one of the joshi ladies will get there and I hope they do, but I think the woman who will really stay on top will need to be a strong promo. Looking forward to Riho/Rose though, should be a barn burner.

Oh, and while it's on my mind, I'd like the cosplay to be phased out. AEW should be about establishing their own brand and you can't do that by referencing other intellectual properties. I prefer cool entrance jackets or capes to half-hearted Star Trek uniforms every day of the week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I agree with that. He’d be good for say, a Darby Allen, or a Jungle Boy. Guys who the company sees a future in, and that need a singles win to get them on that track. Spears has also proven that he can garner heat for being a smarmy prick who doesn’t realize he can’t be a star, and who Tully only hooked up with him because he wanted to fuck with the Rhodes family. You put Jungle Boy up against that, and if anybody is anti-Jungle Boy(Which I haven’t seen), then they won’t with that match up.

I hope Tully’s feud with Cody isn’t done. I could see a Tully’s army in the future with the way this is going.

Not sure that I agree. Main reason why this match worked was because Cody is good at this type of stuff and audience is really into Cody. Spears didn't really show anything that would convince me that he can go against less experienced/less over wrestler and deliver.

• Like 3