DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

4 hours ago, elizium said:

There really aren't that many national channels up here, so it doesn't make much sense for sports to be anywhere but the sports channels.

CTV shows NFL games but they're owned by Bell Media, who also own TSN, so that's where they're going to put most of their sports broadcasts.

CityTV will show some NHL games, but they're part of the Rogers conglomerate, so most of their sports will be aired on the Sportsnet Channels.

CBC still has Hockey Night in Canada, though it is produced by Rogers Sportsnet under their NHL deal. Otherwise it's all Olympics, curling and amateur events. They lost the CFL to TSN years ago.  My monocle will fall in my soup if Mother Corp. ever gets in the wrestling business.

That leaves Global. I don't think they have any sports at the moment. They did previously air WWECW and the first season of NXT apparently, but I have zero recollection of that. Global is widely watched, but seems to have the smallest cultural footprint up here (they very rarely produce any of their own programs). So I guess that's a possibility, but sports seems like something they're not really equipped to properly air or promote.

tldr; its basically Sports channels or bust

ECW and NXT on Global had to have been market specific, because it never aired on Global Winnipeg.

Global has Survivor and Modern Family scheduled for Wednesday nights this year, no way that wrestling goes ahead of that.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, Dewar said:

I don't know who told Meltzer that Sportsnet was the bigger sports station in Canada than TSN, but they were very wrong.

AEW is going to have trouble getting Canadian television. Sportsnet won't take them because of WWE, Fight Network is owned by Anthem, so they won't air the show, which leaves TSN, who does not seem willing to get back into the wrestling business.

TSN aired the Omega doc following which there were talk of talks.  I never saw any follow-up on that, but would assume TSN is the frontrunner.  Is there something out there that suggests TSN doesn't want wrestling in 2019?  I know the history with WWE and wanting it off, but that was with good reason due to the low brow racy attitude era content.  Raw often had segments edited or cut out (Undertaker sacrifices, Val Venis Penis stuff).  From what I understand, a Lita-Edge sex tape angle in the early oughts was the final straw  

On 9/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, Godfrey said:

From what I can recall, they came in in 1997 on the same station as WWF and aired Nitros on Tuesday nights instead.

In Southern Ontario, in 1996, Nitro ran on CHCH which had historically been a WWF channel.  They ran a condensed 1 hour version of Nitro until 98ish (maybe earlier?) when TSN began airing Nitro on Wednesday afternoons - almost always condensed to a 2 hour show.  That Wednesday slot would often get preempted by Soccer.  The replay at Midnight would also often get preempted by various sports.  

On 9/13/2019 at 6:51 PM, AxB said:

I only know about that because of the one Meltzer explanation for that Wrestlemania crowd cheering Hogan instead of Rock was that the Canadian fans hadn't seen the NWO stuff, and didn't know he was supposed to be the heel. Instead it was a nostalgia pop for a babyface who'd been off TV (for them) for the better part of a decade.

I'd be curious as to what Meltzer specifically said as he would have been clearly aware of TSN broadcasting WCW, and the availability of TBS.  And also the PPVs during the prime 96-98 were very popular.  Tho, it is worth mentioning that WCW didn't run many live shows in Toronto during that big run (and next to none before it).  I don't remember any until that Nitro that Bret Hart wore the steal plate to knock out Goldie.  They did run Montreal where Jacques Rougeau, then one half of the 'Amazing French Canadians' defeated Hogan.  Also, as to that Rock-Hogan bout, the nWo had been around long enough in WWE pre-mania to get over the act as heels.  I think the Toronto crowd was more so into Hogan because he was historically a huge monthly draw at the Maple Leaf Gardens.  Not to mention the massive shows at CNE against Orndorff (released on VHS as 'The Big Event') and WM6.  All that and WWE's storytelling by that point had become so weak that it was increasingly difficult to care much about who was a babyface and who was a heel. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

Yo, that dude is fucking jacked. What's his deal? Athletic hoss type? Brawler? Straight power guy?

I would say he's somewhere in-between a straight power guy and an athletic hoss. I don't think he's the type to be busting out a Shooting Star Press or anything like that but he's definitely athletic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

TSN aired the Omega doc following which there were talk of talks.  I never saw any follow-up on that, but would assume TSN is the frontrunner.  Is there something out there that suggests TSN doesn't want wrestling in 2019?  I know the history with WWE and wanting it off, but that was with good reason due to the low brow racy attitude era content.  Raw often had segments edited or cut out (Undertaker sacrifices, Val Venis Penis stuff).  From what I understand, a Lita-Edge sex tape angle in the early oughts was the final straw  

In Southern Ontario, in 1996, Nitro ran on CHCH which had historically been a WWF channel.  They ran a condensed 1 hour version of Nitro until 98ish (maybe earlier?) when TSN began airing Nitro on Wednesday afternoons - almost always condensed to a 2 hour show.  That Wednesday slot would often get preempted by Soccer.  The replay at Midnight would also often get preempted by various sports.  

I'd be curious as to what Meltzer specifically said as he we would have been clearly aware of TSN broadcasting WCW, and the availability of TBS.  And also the PPVs during the prime 96-98 were very popular.  Tho, it is worth mentioning that WCW didn't run many live shows in Toronto during that big run (and next to none before it).  I don't remember any until that Nitro that Bret Hart wore the steal plate to knock out Goldie.  They did run Montreal where Jacques Rougeau, then one half of the 'Amazing French Canadians' defeated Hogan.  Also, as to that Rock-Hogan bout, the nWo had been around long enough in WWE pre-mania to get over the act as heels.  I think the Toronto crowd was more so into Hogan because he was historically a huge monthly draw at the Maple Leaf Gardens.  Not to mention the massive shows at CNE against Orndorff (released on VHS as 'The Big Event') and WM6.  All that and WWE's storytelling by that point had become so weak that it was increasingly difficult to care much about who was a babyface and who was a heel. 

Toronto has always been a Hogan town. 

10 hours ago, Peck said:

I would say he's somewhere in-between a straight power guy and an athletic hoss. I don't think he's the type to be busting out a Shooting Star Press or anything like that but he's definitely athletic. 

It's funny that you say that lol...

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
Trying to figure out how to embed a tweet
  • Haha 1

It's funny how they want records like real sports but they crown the champions in the most nonsensical way possible.  Lousy gimmick battle royals filled with people who have no business being in title matches to crown half of the singles matches and a tournament where a team wrestles a bunch of matches to get a bye and another team is going to get in via popularity contest for the tag titles.  I still don't understand why they're in such a rush to crown champions when they've got a year's worth of TV to fill.  Bunch of belt marks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You'd think Cutler would be facing Sammy Guevara, but obviously Sammy has the Cody match. Unless they're setting up a tag with Cody & MJF vs Cutler & Guevara for down the line. Who will betray their teammate the fastest?

How would you work it out? Cutler approaching Sammy on some "Gee whiz, I'd love to be pals" shit, then walk away from him, or fuck him up and leave him for dead for all the needling and then the passport fuckery from Mexico?

I'd dig that, but that's almost getting into turning Cutler territory, and I feel like Sammy is so much more easily hateable. "Justifiably vengeful babyface" is a thing, right? Or is that too nuanced for the old pro wrestling?

On 9/15/2019 at 12:02 AM, BEN! said:

It's funny how they want records like real sports but they crown the champions in the most nonsensical way possible.  Lousy gimmick battle royals filled with people who have no business being in title matches to crown half of the singles matches and a tournament where a team wrestles a bunch of matches to get a bye and another team is going to get in via popularity contest for the tag titles.  I still don't understand why they're in such a rush to crown champions when they've got a year's worth of TV to fill.  Bunch of belt marks.

Amen brother, amen.  I’d love to know their reasoning as to why they chose to bypass all those potential and meaningful tournament matches.  Page-Jericho would’ve been a lot more exciting had they gone thru two or three rounds to get there.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

On 9/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, AxB said:

It's been many moons since TSN dropped wrestling - I'd be very surprised if they didn't see this as an opportunity to compete with Sportsnet in some capacity. TSN has the UFC amongst its properties, so violence isn't really a problem for them now. Sportsnet owns hockey up here now, so TSN's got to try and get on the board with content for the *5* channels it has (which show the same damn thing simultaneously half the time.)