DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

I understand the public demand for 'live', but does the DVDvr fan clamour for the live experience?  I much prefer a delay to cut commericals, boring entrances, chinlocks, weak bouts and bad segments.    

This week's 'Road To' was a mixed bag.  Dug the Cody promo as per usual, but that Brandon Cutler segment felt overtly sentimental, and after watching it I'm not sure why I should care about him?  That segment has me hoping MJF squashes him Steiners-like.  The most ridiculous part of that bit might have been when his wife mentioned they can now aford this house which allowed them to move from another (pause) house.  A house that wasn't very good.  Ha, what has Brandon Cutler done, or is doing, to deserve a contract that affords him a nice house?  I ask because I know nothing about him, and all I read is he records (maybe edits) those lame BTEs.  Anyway, I hope this sentimanel AEW kick ends soon.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I am sure this has been talked about but as of now it looks like Dynamite is a one hour show.  Unless my cable company is really slow on updating their guide.   Clearly the live event will be in the 2 - 3 hour range given all the things they advertise like Moxley speaking and Page vs PAC and such.   Where are they going to show that other stuff?  Is it going to be part of the AEWPLUS?  is it being shown on another channel or stream service?  

Dynamite is 2 hours. They've talked about doing something with a 3rd hour on B/R Live or something like that.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Do any American shows even air live on the ITV channels? Honest question, I have no idea on that. I’d wager it’s a little different comparing something live versus taped when it comes to ad breaks, and there’s the difference in ITV compared to something like Sky, too. Plus there’s still the entire “3 hours worth of infomercial type stuff” that actually pays to be in that time slot on the channel(s).

It’s all very weird, since they’ve had the ITV deal since... what, Double Or Nothing? Didn’t the preshows air on ITV4 or whatever? They’ve had months to iron this out.

Makes me think that ITV didn't feel like it is worth their time to adjust stuff for AEW, which isn't a good sign I'd say.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am sure this has been talked about but as of now it looks like Dynamite is a one hour show.  Unless my cable company is really slow on updating their guide.   Clearly the live event will be in the 2 - 3 hour range given all the things they advertise like Moxley speaking and Page vs PAC and such.   Where are they going to show that other stuff?  Is it going to be part of the AEWPLUS?  is it being shown on another channel or stream service?  

Yours must be slow to update, it's listed as a 2 hour show on my guide.

Edited by CSC

50 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

This week's 'Road To' was a mixed bag.  Dug the Cody promo as per usual, but that Brandon Cutler segment felt overtly sentimental, and after watching it I'm not sure why I should care about him? 

He's a longtime friend of the Bucks.  He and his brother were a tag team in PWG right around the time I started watching (2010 ish).  Eventually, I stopped seeing them on shows and heard they'd retired in 2011.  Checking cagematch, it appears Brandon came back in 2018, so about a six and a half year layoff.  I had no idea he'd even come back until I'd heard they'd given him a contract. 

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I understand the public demand for 'live', but does the DVDvr fan clamour for the live experience?  I much prefer a delay to cut commericals, boring entrances, chinlocks, weak bouts and bad segments.    

This week's 'Road To' was a mixed bag.  Dug the Cody promo as per usual, but that Brandon Cutler segment felt overtly sentimental, and after watching it I'm not sure why I should care about him?  That segment has me hoping MJF squashes him Steiners-like.  The most ridiculous part of that bit might have been when his wife mentioned they can now aford this house which allowed them to move from another (pause) house.  A house that wasn't very good.  Ha, what has Brandon Cutler done, or is doing, to deserve a contract that affords him a nice house?  I ask because I know nothing about him, and all I read is he records (maybe edits) those lame BTEs.  Anyway, I hope this sentimanel AEW kick ends soon.  

Even if watching live I always wait 20 minutes before watching so I can skip commercials.  And if I catch up before it's over I watch something else and do the same process.  But I think this time around people will have the mindset that to win the "ratings war" they have to watch live.  There's arguments for and against it but I can see some people thinking along those lines.  Shit, I'll likely watch that live and switch to NXT during commercials (ah, the good ol' days)

And Brandon seems like a really nice guy but even he's aware of how sappy he's been looked to be.  Which is great and all but not only did they go down this road on the show but it's also not helping his case against MJF.  But he's a huge D&D fan and likes cosplaying so my wife is an immediate fan.  May need to see past matches though to see if he's any good.

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That makes more sense and is rather sensible, but headlines that scream about "TONY KHAN'S LIES!!!!1111one" and Meltzer being wrong or a shill or whatever get a lot more clicks because people are awful.

That's true, but I think that comes from how Cody framed the UK deal back in May. Mocking WWE's UK TV deal while suggesting Tony Khan would make sure AEW would have a better one.

Sometimes, it comes down to not saying anything until everything is in place. A lot of UK wrestling fans seem to think it's a rotten deal. I don't know. It feels like one of those moments where if nothing had been said earlier, few would care that much now.

• Like 4

WWE's UK deal has always been pretty bad, because they're on Sky, who are behind a big pay window.

You usually would get Sky along with your phone and broadband... Except there are a lot of other companies who offer TV, broadband and phone packages. These packages aren't really affordable for low income households. 

You also have to pay extra for the PPV's, (not to mention the sports channels/HD), which when you're paying £55 for the package per month, is an expense too far for a lot of people.

I'm on one of the alternatives BT, so I cannot watch WWE, BT does the same thing with UFC, I've never bought a PPV that way.

ITV4 is a free channel to anyone who has a television. It makes money by having ad breaks.

This means that 100% of people with a freeview TV in the UK can watch AEW should they want to. If you want to watch WWE you need to be in a household that can afford Sky, but also be one of the households that chooses Sky over one of their competitors. I'm not sure what their market share is, but I'd hazard a guess at about 1/3rd.

So the potential audience is a lot larger. I'm certainly not going to complain at all about having free wrestling on my TV again. 

ITV also has a free catch up player, which hopefully will allow us to watch AEW at our convenience the day after it airs in the US. 

So in summary, in my opinion, as someone who lives in the UK, Cody is right, their deal is much better in terms of audience potential and accessibility. 

As for the time slot and the ad breaks and I assume the censorship that the episodes will go through, that part we don't know how yet. Hopefully they can find a way to put it in a decent slot, preferably live and then a repeat the next day, later than the watershed of 9pm for TV-14.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you lift up Luchasaurus' crotch flap, you'll see Marko Stunt.

Some things are far better left to the imagination...

• Like 2

I believe he's referring to how they handled approaching Punk now that the rumours are that he may be heading back to WWE. So not only did Cody lead those negotiations, we don't know if Punk ever wanted to join in the first place. The handful of shit posters in this thread are making me not want to even bother with this part of the board. I get that we're not supposed to actually like stuff but fuck...

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have another:

EFkD_crUYAAGmqX?format=jpg&name=large

Regarding Punk, I think the negotiation was basically: "Want to come wrestle for us?" "No." "OK. Let us know if you change your mind".

As far as Punk to WWE, whilst I don't see that happening either, the company does have a weird hold over a lot of wrestlers. I can see how if he's wanting to have a farewell run, that would be where he wanted it to happen.

• Like 2