DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

Meltzer said that the big reason AEW won't be live in the UK is because TNT and ITV couldn't come to an agreement around commercials

The way he explained it - in the US, it works out to approximately 16 minutes a hour of commercials and the UK has a law/rule that you can't have more than 12 minutes

And I guess they couldn't come to an agreement how to handle that difference 

Apparently ITV4 airs a huge block of paid for infomercial type stuff at the time AEW would air live and it’d likely require a lot of restructuring of air times and probably has something to do with existing contracts as well.

The whole ITV thing seems really fishy and I don't know what to believe anymore about that.  But while I get Meltzer's rationale (Rippa and I heard the same show this morning) I don't blame anybody that balks at the idea of having to pay for a free show.  But I do think if they're going to charge $5 a month then the least they can do is include discounts on the PPVs.  Maybe instead of the equivalent of $50 people instead pay $25 or $30.  For those that would have this app as an option would that justify the subscription?

The PPVs are £15 in the UK, so like $18.50-ish USA. So an additional £4 a month to get the TV live and uncensored (nb: You can't show a TV-14 show before the 9pm watershed in the UK. 8 in the morning is obviously well before it) still works out cheaper.

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said that the big reason AEW won't be live in the UK is because TNT and ITV couldn't come to an agreement around commercials

The way he explained it - in the US, it works out to approximately 16 minutes a hour of commercials and the UK has a law/rule that you can't have more than 12 minutes

And I guess they couldn't come to an agreement how to handle that difference 

If this is really the issue (which the tweet in Archibald’s post throws into doubt), it’s probably not a good sign that they’re prevented from airing in the UK over an issue that every other US show that airs in the UK has been able to work out.

Do any American shows even air live on the ITV channels? Honest question, I have no idea on that. I’d wager it’s a little different comparing something live versus taped when it comes to ad breaks, and there’s the difference in ITV compared to something like Sky, too. Plus there’s still the entire “3 hours worth of infomercial type stuff” that actually pays to be in that time slot on the channel(s).

It’s all very weird, since they’ve had the ITV deal since... what, Double Or Nothing? Didn’t the preshows air on ITV4 or whatever? They’ve had months to iron this out.

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

The PPVs are £15 in the UK, so like $18.50-ish USA. So an additional £4 a month to get the TV live and uncensored (nb: You can't show a TV-14 show before the 9pm watershed in the UK. 8 in the morning is obviously well before it) still works out cheaper.

Wow, that's quite a bit cheaper compared to what we pay here.  So with that noted then I would hope that by having it be £11 instead of £15 that would help ease concerns about paying for the TV show.

And this is the "making excuses in an effort to try and make sense of it" side of me but who's to say this is a permanent thing in the UK?  Maybe for some reason ITV was gunshy about a show that hasn't aired its first episode yet and if things take off they can get a better deal out of it.  Wishful thinking but you never know.

And hey, all else fails you can always blame Boris Johnson.

I am sure this has been talked about but as of now it looks like Dynamite is a one hour show.  Unless my cable company is really slow on updating their guide.   Clearly the live event will be in the 2 - 3 hour range given all the things they advertise like Moxley speaking and Page vs PAC and such.   Where are they going to show that other stuff?  Is it going to be part of the AEWPLUS?  is it being shown on another channel or stream service?  

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Apparently ITV4 airs a huge block of paid for infomercial type stuff at the time AEW would air live and it’d likely require a lot of restructuring of air times and probably has something to do with existing contracts as well.

That makes more sense and is rather sensible, but headlines that scream about "TONY KHAN'S LIES!!!!1111one" and Meltzer being wrong or a shill or whatever get a lot more clicks because people are awful.

• Like 2