DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

On 9/13/2019 at 10:44 PM, Dewar said:

ECW and NXT on Global had to have been market specific, because it never aired on Global Winnipeg.

Global has Survivor and Modern Family scheduled for Wednesday nights this year, no way that wrestling goes ahead of that.

IIRC, ECW used to be a late Friday or Saturday broadcast for me. So it wasn't given a high-priority prime time slot.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:27 PM, elizium said:

There really aren't that many national channels up here, so it doesn't make much sense for sports to be anywhere but the sports channels.

CTV shows NFL games but they're owned by Bell Media, who also own TSN, so that's where they're going to put most of their sports broadcasts.

CityTV will show some NHL games, but they're part of the Rogers conglomerate, so most of their sports will be aired on the Sportsnet Channels.

CBC still has Hockey Night in Canada, though it is produced by Rogers Sportsnet under their NHL deal. Otherwise it's all Olympics, curling and amateur events. They lost the CFL to TSN years ago.  My monocle will fall in my soup if Mother Corp. ever gets in the wrestling business.

That leaves Global. I don't think they have any sports at the moment. They did previously air WWECW and the first season of NXT apparently, but I have zero recollection of that. Global is widely watched, but seems to have the smallest cultural footprint up here (they very rarely produce any of their own programs). So I guess that's a possibility, but sports seems like something they're not really equipped to properly air or promote.

tldr; its basically Sports channels or bust

Fairly comprehensive, but you're forgetting your occasional foreign language Jays broadcast on OMNI.

Of course AEW should aim higher than OMNI and, like most things in this fucking country, they're owned by Rogers. So it's a moot point.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:51 PM, AxB said:

I only know about that because of the one Meltzer explanation for that Wrestlemania crowd cheering Hogan instead of Rock was that the Canadian fans hadn't seen the NWO stuff, and didn't know he was supposed to be the heel. Instead it was a nostalgia pop for a babyface who'd been off TV (for them) for the better part of a decade.

What must it be like inside his head?

It's so full of facts and information that there's no room for social skills, or grammar, or the ability to know what you're going to end a statement with before you start it, or knowing when a sentence making multiple points with lots of commas in has gotten way too long and should probably be edited to make it into more of a multi-sentence paragraph type sort of thing. So how's the weather up there?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also, looks like bad news for Jurassic Express fans.

I don’t know, I think it’s time for a nice clean break for young bucks and Lucha bros. The matches have been great but let’s quit while we’re ahead and send them in different directions. One of those underdogs could win. 

But then they may want a marquee tv match and the ladder match got plenty of hype. We will find out soon!

• Like 2

So... Dark Order won 2 matches to get a first round bye so a team they beat and a team that lost in that mini tourny work 1 match to get to them, and the company's 8th team get's left out.  Yeah, this makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So... Dark Order won 2 matches to get a first round bye so a team they beat and a team that lost in that mini tourny work 1 match to get to them, and the company's 8th team get's left out.  Yeah, this makes sense.

Yeah they messed that all up. Not the end of the world but if anything they should have posted some type of bracket or structure before even announcing the opportunity for the bye. It’s also not unlike the other two championships being decided between the winner of a battle royal vs the winner of an arbitrary singles match. 

But they have to get off the ground first, hopefully it all clicks better after the first champions are set. 

I could see Evans & Angelico attacking either Private Party or A Boy & His Dinosaur since they attacked Private Party after their match at All Out and because they lost the poll to Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dewar said:

TSN has local NHL contracts for Toronto (26 games), Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg, that's how we got up to TSN5. 

Yup - this. TSN1, 3, 4 and 5 are all regional channels. 

• TSN1: Primary feed for British Columbia, Alberta, and Yukon
  • TSN3: Primary feed for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and parts of Northern Ontario
  • TSN4: Primary feed for Ontario, excluding Ottawa
  • TSN5: Primary feed for Ottawa, parts of Southeastern Ontario, Quebéc, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador

On the surface this doesn't make sense leaving out Evans/Angelico.  But while it's likely I've gone full-on into "AEW fanboy" territory I can see it leading to that team being super pissed off being left out and fucking shit up for the tournament.  Or if not then whoever they face is going to be in for a really bad time.

• Like 1

From the perspective that “wins and losses matter in AEW,” Angelico & Evans don’t have any wins in the company, so they don’t really deserve to be in the tourney.  Of course, neither does Jurassic Express, but they won the fan vote.

Speaking of Jurassic Express, did they find out A Boy and His Dinosaur was already trademarked by someone?  Because JE is a way worse name.

Kinda surprised LAX aren’t in this, but I guess they’ll be costing the Bucks and/or the Lucha Bros at some point and feuding with them.

Dark Order seems to have a clear path to the finals, and god help them if they win the belts.  But Best Friends getting to the finals would be interesting.  BFs/Luca Bros is a fresh match.

• Like 1

Has AEW announced any West Coast shows? I'd gladly drive down to Tacoma or up to Everett (or maybe Kent if ShoWare's 6,500 capacity is good enough for the company) to see a show, especially a TV taping. 

EDIT: They show Impact-in-60 on the Games channel in Canada right along with old Dragon's Den episodes and other such stuff. Could AEW be a good fit for that channel as well?

Edited by Smelly McUgly

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Has AEW announced any West Coast shows? I'd gladly drive down to Tacoma or up to Everett (or maybe Kent if ShoWare's 6,500 capacity is good enough for the company) to see a show, especially a TV taping. 

Just focusing on the east coast AKA the Best Coast AKA the Beast Coast right now.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Sad 1