DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am catching up but I need to clarify one thing

DC AND BALTIMORE ARE NOT THE SAME FUCKING MARKET!

I would hope at this point people knew that.  They are two different markets and I get that there's a lot of hate for Baltimore.  Hopefully you saw me joining in the self hatred.  Which is part of the reason why I would have hoped they just made the DC show the PPV one and do Baltimore later on so there isn't this issue.

Would either of you mind explaining that line of thinking? They are separated by 40 miles, making them within the same metropolitan area, at least for statistical purposes. I grew up just shy of 60 miles from San Francisco, but San Jose is for fuck's sure the same media market as SF. Why the difference for DC / Baltimore? Is it strictly because of demographics?

For statistical purposes, this is the defined metropolitan area for DC/Baltimore/Northern VA

Spoiler

Washington-Baltimore-Northern_Virginia_C

Edited by grilledcheese
spelling

At this point, I'm hoping that the first episode will finally explain what the fuck is going on with the Tag Tournament, since we're had like, 4 matches to determine a first round bye and now a Twitter poll to advance another team.

34 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Would either of you mind explaining that line of thinking? They are separated by 40 miles, making them within the same metropolitan area, at least for statistical purposes. I grew up just shy of 60 miles from San Francisco, but San Jose is for fuck's sure the same media market as SF. Why the difference for DC / Baltimore? Is it strictly because of demographics?

The border of NYC and Philadelphia are under 60 miles, they sure as fuck aren't the same Metro area.  Metro areas don't work the same on the East coast as the West.  We just got more of them in the Mid-Atlantic to the New England.

• Like 1

Look at the most simplest thing

DC is the #6 media market

Baltimore is the 26th

Citing @grilledcheese example - San Fran/Oakland/San Jose are listed together at #8

As @Raziel kinda mentioned - there are a lot of fucking people in between these cities.

But for specific reasons related to AEW running shows.

For me to get to Capital One Area (DC) - it would be a hour driving from my apartment. (30 -45 minutes if I went from work and I could take public transportation)

For me to get to the Baltimore show - it would take me approximately 90 minutes from my apartment with NO Traffic (which is an impossibility in this area). It would be more than 2 hours (and no public transportation)

A lot of the issue is that Northern Virginia (which is part of DC) is not close to Baltimore. Its the fact that the Maryland part of the DMV (and the things like the Redskins stadium being 20 minutes from Baltimore) confuse people.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trying to get caught up at work, but Angelico and Jack aren't in the tag tourney? 

Well not yet 

They are doing a Twitter fan vote between Angelico/Jack Evans vs. Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus where the winner gets the last spot in the tournament

At the moment - Angelico and Jack Evans only have 16% of the vote

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well not yet 

They are doing a Twitter fan vote between Angelico/Jack Evans vs. Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus where the winner gets the last spot in the tournament

At the moment - Angelico and Jack Evans only have 16% of the vote

Then, I hope Angelico & Evans find a way to weasel their way in, or at least cost A Boy & His Dinosaur their match to set up a feud between them.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then, I hope Angelico & Evans find a way to weasel their way in, or at least cost A Boy & His Dinosaur their match. 

I'm still trying to figure out how many teams are in the tourny (and who they are) that they don't have room for one of those teams after what seemed like 2 different "First Round Bye" matches.  They went and Impacted the Tag Tourny.

• Like 1

I don't know who told Meltzer that Sportsnet was the bigger sports station in Canada than TSN, but they were very wrong.

AEW is going to have trouble getting Canadian television. Sportsnet won't take them because of WWE, Fight Network is owned by Anthem, so they won't air the show, which leaves TSN, who does not seem willing to get back into the wrestling business.

Does Canadian TV never show sport on anything but dedicated sports channels? Because the only AEW TV deals we know about are TNT in the USA, and ITV in the UK. Neither of which are sports channels. Or is it that there's basically three firms that between them own everything?

Didn't WCW have no Canadian TV for absolutely ages?

I only know about that because of the one Meltzer explanation for that Wrestlemania crowd cheering Hogan instead of Rock was that the Canadian fans hadn't seen the NWO stuff, and didn't know he was supposed to be the heel. Instead it was a nostalgia pop for a babyface who'd been off TV (for them) for the better part of a decade.

Just watched the Road to TNT first two eps. Very well done, especially the second one.

That Guevara vignette made me interested in this kid and his Cody match; it felt so genuine and old school. Heck, I think he even talked about “pro wrestling”, which sounds a lot more old school than it should!

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Does Canadian TV never show sport on anything but dedicated sports channels? Because the only AEW TV deals we know about are TNT in the USA, and ITV in the UK. Neither of which are sports channels. Or is it that there's basically three firms that between them own everything?

Didn't WCW have no Canadian TV for absolutely ages?

There really aren't that many national channels up here, so it doesn't make much sense for sports to be anywhere but the sports channels.

CTV shows NFL games but they're owned by Bell Media, who also own TSN, so that's where they're going to put most of their sports broadcasts.

CityTV will show some NHL games, but they're part of the Rogers conglomerate, so most of their sports will be aired on the Sportsnet Channels.

CBC still has Hockey Night in Canada, though it is produced by Rogers Sportsnet under their NHL deal. Otherwise it's all Olympics, curling and amateur events. They lost the CFL to TSN years ago.  My monocle will fall in my soup if Mother Corp. ever gets in the wrestling business.

That leaves Global. I don't think they have any sports at the moment. They did previously air WWECW and the first season of NXT apparently, but I have zero recollection of that. Global is widely watched, but seems to have the smallest cultural footprint up here (they very rarely produce any of their own programs). So I guess that's a possibility, but sports seems like something they're not really equipped to properly air or promote.

tldr; its basically Sports channels or bust

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't see a problem with the fan vote. They rolled the dice on hoping it would be A Boy and His Dinosaur and they're right and now it's letting them gauge just how much interest is out there for them.