DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

I wanted to touch on this casual fans discussion.  AEW still needs the people who flip through channels on a Wednesday evening to stick around for a while and see what they're about because they are splitting the ad revenue with TNT.  The only way they can make more money off ads is to generate more viewers.  

At the end of the day AEW is a business. They can talk about casuals and progressive leanings but trust me they are not going to try to alienate anyone. They want this to be a big big deal or they wouldn't be investing the money into it.  

That said I see no issue with trying to appeal to the core audience first because the hope is that a couple things go viral and catch on with casuals/lapsed fans. The whole Bullet Club thing caught on to a point where it's not uncommon to see someone walking down the street with a t-shirt.  That's what they want. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
14 hours ago, Craig H said:

I've visited Purdue and Ball State plenty of times and I'm more than familiar with Bloomington. They're all fine except there's not much to do in Muncie or Bloomington.

And yeah, the loop or beltway around Indy does suck and is confusing as shit and that's coming from someone who LIKES driving around Chicago and driving on the Dan Ryan/Kennedy/Chicago Loop/Lake Shore Drive/etc.

Disagree on Bloomington. There are a ton of outdoor activities and awesome places in and around the Bloomington area (the Deam is Indiana’s only Wilderness area). You can also go to world class music performances for dirt cheap because of the Jacobs school of music, top music school in the country. 

Like a lot college towns, though, there are a good number of people who spend 4 years here, never venture out of their student enclaves, and then pronounce there ain’t much to do. 

19 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Disagree on Bloomington. There are a ton of outdoor activities and awesome places in and around the Bloomington area (the Deam is Indiana’s only Wilderness area). You can also go to world class music performances for dirt cheap because of the Jacobs school of music, top music school in the country. 

Like a lot college towns, though, there are a good number of people who spend 4 years here, never venture out of their student enclaves, and then pronounce there ain’t much to do. 

Heh, I feel like my venturing out in Bloomington was going to West Lafayette to hang out with a girl I was friends with, trying to get out of the friend zone. Spoiler, I didn't, but that didn't stop me from having some good hangouts with her and her friends. Those drives would have been easier if there were podcasts back then.

If I knew what I knew now I would have found more to do on the cheap around IU instead of wasting hours of driving and money on gas.

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@NikoBaltimore There might be a lot of crossover issues between the first AEW TNT show being in D.C. and then the  PPV in Baltimore though?   They're running two shows in the same market five weeks apart.  I think it'll eventually sell out.

That is definitely a part of it though due to recent things I couldn't help but focus on issues with Baltimore itself.

Honestly I feel they should have just done a PPV in one of the cities and not do TV in the other until later on.  And DC having the PPV would have been fun where they could have had a patriotic vibe to the set if they wanted to.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

They're blending kayfabe and reality way too fuckin' good. The Cody/Schiavone interview is filled to the brim with it.

Well you can tell Tony is angling for that lead play-by-play role by the fact he is getting progressively more business formal in his dress over time (Road to All Out, Road to TNT 1 then 2)

Spoiler

y5vbSYL.png

r4cEhN7.png

EgfUurw.png

He'll be wearing a tux by next week.

Spoiler

8ca89-1506748253-800.jpg

Edited by Custos
  • Haha 4

On 9/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, Craig H said:

I've never been to Baltimore, but I'll tell you that a lot I know about Baltimore was informed by The Wire or people that have watched The Wire. I know that sounds lame, but that's just how opinions wind up being influenced if you've never been there.

And I'm sure people have the same thoughts about Chicago and just think there's nowhere safe, but in reality it's one or two bad areas out of 10? 15? however many different areas of that city and surrounding areas. Hell, I wouldn't even call the area around Stoney Island Parkway that bad (probably only Jae will get that). The night my wife and I went to see Tom Segura in Chicago there were something like 10 or 13 people shot and killed. We had no idea until days later. The violence you hear about in Chicago may as well happen in a completely different city.

Similar thing with Detroit. Detroit ain't that bad if you know where to go, but if you've never been then you probably think it's a wasteland where bears and other wild animals roam around, there's no businesses, etc.

Memories of Chicago: My first night in Chicago, I asked the barman at Whole Foods if I'd be okay to walk to Pequod's. I probably wouldn't have asked but tbh, the Chicago L Ride from the airport was scary. But yeah, anywhere you actually have any business being in is fine.

I was bummed when Cody said if he loses to Sammy he’s out of the title match with Jericho. Before that, I thought they might actually run with Cody losing a “trap game.” Sammy beating Cody and then Cody beating Jericho (not that I think that will happen) would do a lot to establish a new star.

That said, I like how they’ve established that Cody’s mouth keeps unintentionally pissing other people off, first with Spears and “good hand” and now with Sammy and “potential.” It’s likely laying the seeds for the MJF turn and does more to get people over than a heel authority figure laughing at how short someone is.

If I could make one change with AEW though, it would be to add a kayfabe “matchmaker” to take focus off of the fact that half their top stars run the company. If they establish that the EVPs run backstage/venues/promotion and an independent, mostly invisible Jack Tunney/booking committee handles the matchmaking, I think that would help with things.

• Like 2

Good Road To video. I like Cody saying if Sammy wins it will affect Cody's title shot somehow because it does make sense. So long as it doesn't result in 50/50 booking (Sammy wins and earns a #1 contender rematch which Cody then wins), the idea that your standing in the ranks is always in play gives every match more stakes. Good Guevara promo too, not what I was expecting from him.

Sammy's record would be 1-1 if he beat Cody, I don't think that warrants a #1 contenders match, even if he did beat Cody. Darby Allin went to a time limit draw with Cody, so he'd have to be in the conversation for that as well (his record would be 0-0-1 in singles competition).

You can already see how they're going to run into problems with this wins/losses system, but I'm board for it because it's something different.

The nice part is if they stick to it they really have to think about ramifications from each match and they have to do it well in advance. It's going to force their hands but the positives should outweigh the negatives if done right. 

On 9/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, Swiftian said:

Any word on Canadian TV for this thing?

Per the Observer

There’s still nothing new on Canadian television. We do know there have been talks with TSN. TSN is second to Rogers Sportsnet (it used to be first, but things have changed), which is the sports channel with WWE. TSN has five different channels so one would think they’d be able to find something live. TSN, which aired WWE for a long time, did have a history of not wanting wrestling. In the late 90s, there was a guy in charge who wanted it off because he thought wrestling was too low-brow, but in that period when he saw the ratings, he realized he couldn’t get rid of it. But later, after ratings went down significantly, the Edge/Lita live sex thing was the key because after that the decision was made that WWE wouldn’t be renewed, and they went to Rogers.

• Thanks 1

I get that they aren’t really rebranding guys, but Wardlow could use a better hoss name (although the same could have been said for “Bill Goldberg”, and I can see the Goldberg-esque “Ward-low” chants now).

Now if they pronounce his name as War D-Low and he wears a chest protector and wags his head, I’m all in.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Sammy's record would be 1-1 if he beat Cody, I don't think that warrants a #1 contenders match, even if he did beat Cody. Darby Allin went to a time limit draw with Cody, so he'd have to be in the conversation for that as well (his record would be 0-0-1 in singles competition).

You can already see how they're going to run into problems with this wins/losses system, but I'm board for it because it's something different.

Darby's also lost everything else he's been involved in right (the six man and the Crackle Barrel deal)?  If anything, the draw makes Cody look worse since no one else is finding Darby to be some insurmountable obstacle to climb including Spears who will likely be a midcarder and Havok/Janella who are going to be lower than that on the card.