DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

I hope we see some flash matches, I know they'd said they don't want that on PPV though because they don't want fans to feel cheated, but I think the formula of pro wrestling needs to be upset a few times for it still to have meaning.

Once or twice a month a competitive match on paper should end up over in 2-3 minutes or a squash.

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The idea that longer matches are more sports-centric is interesting to me, because flash knockouts/pins/fluke upsets is far more like actual sports than every match going at least fifteen or so minutes.

Off the top of my head, I think Watts was the only person actually end a match during the commercials and then show what happened after the break. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Off the top of my head, I think Watts was the only person actually end a match during the commercials and then show what happened after the break. 

IIRC, it was a Steamboat match and ended in a countout?

17 hours ago, D.Z said:

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/09/07/aew-on-tnt-cody-rhodes-wants-quality-over-quantity-ign-first

Rotation of wrestlers. Might do an extra hour of content that won't be televised but streamed.

Their approach quoted below

"We want to provide bell-to-bell sports-centric pro-wrestling. That's going to mean longer matches. That's going to mean stories being told between the ropes. That means no invisible camera backstage. That's gonna mean more of a live-sports approach to our product. That's 100% what we're doing, so I want to avoid any reactionary elements. I loved the Monday Night Wars, I did. And I'm not trying to be naive and ignore a situation where it's like 'Hey, if this happens, we'll have to play this card,' but I'm just saying I want us to be more about our young and upcoming crop of talent."

Hinted possible TV title as well.

Rotating wrestlers so they aren't all wrestling every week is a fantastic idea. That was one of my favorite things about the early seasons of Lucha Underground. You wouldn't get every angle every week, so it seemed fresher when the angle you were msot interested in came back around. Maybe have all the guys there, and some of them do live interviews or run-ins or guest commentary or something, but not everyone has to work every single week...

• Like 5

I dunno, if I had a week off working, I'd want a week off. Not a week where I have to travel to work but not actually do anything while I'm there.

Besides, it's 2019. Guys can do interviews "Live via satellite" from their actual homes now.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

I dunno, if I had a week off working, I'd want a week off. Not a week where I have to travel to work but not actually do anything while I'm there.

Besides, it's 2019. Guys can do interviews "Live via satellite" from their actual homes now.

Somebody should tell Bellator that because I think they use Skype or something similar and everyone looks like they're on some old dusty webcam. You would think a company owned by Viacom would actually send a camera crew.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nitro had that match that ran long into Robin Hood. Not a bad idea in theory, executed poorly.

20 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The idea that longer matches are more sports-centric is interesting to me, because flash knockouts/pins/fluke upsets are far more like actual sports than every match going at least fifteen or so minutes.

Low-Ki was doing something similar to this in MLW when he moved to middleweight

They're coming to the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville on 11/13, the first show after Full Gear. I'm not surprised it's the Municipal, but I'm a little disappointed since it was a shithole back in 2001 when WCW ran it and I went, and I'm sure it's not any better now. Maybe it's had some work done since then, I'm not sure.

Either way, I'm there. Hoping for some good seats opposite the hard camera.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

They're coming to the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville on 11/13, the first show after Full Gear. I'm not surprised it's the Municipal, but I'm a little disappointed since it was a shithole back in 2001 when WCW ran it and I went, and I'm sure it's not any better now. Maybe it's had some work done since then, I'm not sure.

Somehow I got "Municipal Auditorium" mixed up with "Memorial Gymnasium" and got all sorts of stoked picturing AEW at Vanderbilt's arena.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I saw a cool Rolling Stones exhibit there last year.  It was in the Musicians Hall of Fame section.  We walked around a little bit, and it still looked to be a bit of a shithole.  I also saw some WCW there.  Saw Starrcade 96 and a Nitro sometime in 96 or 97, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Log said:

I saw a cool Rolling Stones exhibit there last year.  It was in the Musicians Hall of Fame section.  We walked around a little bit, and it still looked to be a bit of a shithole.  I also saw some WCW there.  Saw Starrcade 96 and a Nitro sometime in 96 or 97, I think.

I was 12 the last time I was there, when my Dad took me to SuperBrawl Revenge. I think we had seats in the Upper Deck or something, but tickets didn't sell too well so they moved everyone closer, and we ended up with seats on the floor, to the left of the announcers. DDP & Jeff Jarrett brawled right infront of us during their match, so we probably made it onto the live broadcast.

It was a bad day for a lot of people in attendance, though, since that was the day Dale Earnhardt died and people were getting the news while we were waiting in line to get in.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:11 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Last time I’ve checked, they haven’t sold out. This will be the first since they’ve done PPV’s to not have sold out after the first day.

Given that they're advertising Moxley/Omega and Cody/Jericho and they still can't sell it out I can think of one solid reason:

Even though there's a lot of safe areas to many outside of the city Baltimore really fucking sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I still love living here as there's lots of cool shit to do.  But with it going from "The city that reads" to "The city that kills" and the reputation it has I can see people being hesitant on attending.  But as long as it's going to the Arena and the touristy parts of the Harbor it's relatively safe.  To be fair I can't remember the last time they sold out for WWE and while there's a strong PPV market here it's going to take some time for it to sell out if at all.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I think it’s more that while there is a lot of interest from hardcore fans, AEW still hasn’t captured the complete attention of the wrestling fan mass. Also these hardcores have disposable income, but not all of them are will to spend like like crazy for each show. 

I’ve said it in the past a lot. They gotta create a fan base that includes casual fans. They can’t keep relying on hardcores. That means local advertising, advertising on college campuses, and maybe giving away tickets just to fill out an arena for TV. Hopefully those seat fillers, with family like what they see, and they’ll actually pay the next time AEW rolls into town. It’s a slow gradual process for a new wrestling company. They shouldn’t be fooled by the results of the last couple of attendance figures.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs