DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

Well, one thing I like already is that Ticketmaster verified I wasn't a bot by texting me so that hopefully helps mitigate the issues from the DC tickets.  In queue now so we'll see how it goes.

EDIT:  That was MUCH smoother than the DC show.  Paid more than I cared to due to fucking Ticketmaster but my wife and I are going!  Two shows in two months is unheard of for me (and that's not counting Starrcast) but I'm so goddamn excited.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5

AEW sent out information for their show to cable providers and it's classified as a "sports event" and TNT made the decision awhile ago to have it rated at TV-14. But TNT also gave them specific rules for what lines they can't cross.

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

You can already curse on cable television, it's just whether or not advertisers are okay with it. Cable TV isn't beholden to the same rules as network TV when it comes to things like that.

USA and AMC have a one "fuck" rule from what I've read. See also the "shit counter" South Park ep from 200 years ago 

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

USA and AMC have a one "fuck" rule from what I've read. 

That's probably on original programming in prime time. I know I've heard it in Mad Men and Better Call Saul before. But I caught Roadhouse on AMC about a week ago, and they cut a lot of swears.

FX also lets it fly during their original programming, IIRC.

• Like 2

FX let's everything go except for nudity. And by nudity, I mean no breasts with nipples showing, dongs, or vaginas. Everything else seems fair game.

I imagine that's why Mac's bike had a fist dildo instead of a penis. Or maybe they just used the fist because it's dumber and funnier. Who's to say!

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

But I caught Roadhouse on AMC about a week ago, and they cut a lot of swears.

To be fair - it is probably just easier to run the version they have been running for years (especially with the breaks for commercials already in place) then running an unedited/lesser edited version

• Like 1

Cody Rhodes issued an apologized to Outsports for joining in the “puto” chant at TripleMania. There’s a meaning to that word that’s more nuanced than I can hope to adequately explain here, but the short version is much of the world treats it as a strong homophobic slur, while fans at wrestling (and a lot of Mexican sporting events) have a more “it’s just a simple insult, don’t take it so seriously” attitude towards it. As far as I can tell, AAA & CMLL have not had problems with their wrestlers leading the fans in that chant, where soccer teams have tried to ban it. I suspect Cody and AEW had no idea of the meaning of that word when he said and definitely when they made the strange choice to include as a clip of a video recapping Cody’s TripleMania experience. I sort of expected it to come to something there, but that article mentions Penta’s usage of the word during AEW’s show on Saturday. I’ve heard it on so many lucha libre shows that it didn’t even occur to me this time that people would be offended but AEW is a different audience.

From Cubs' update today

9 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Basically everyone tells you it means bitch and then you find out it doesn't and Lucha Underground has to edit out all the Johnny Puto chants at the networks request

It is often times used within the context of calling someone a bitch or an asshole. 

It is also the Spanish equivalent of calling someone the f word used as a homophobic slur.

Edited by cubbymark

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/09/07/aew-on-tnt-cody-rhodes-wants-quality-over-quantity-ign-first

Rotation of wrestlers. Might do an extra hour of content that won't be televised but streamed.

Their approach quoted below

"We want to provide bell-to-bell sports-centric pro-wrestling. That's going to mean longer matches. That's going to mean stories being told between the ropes. That means no invisible camera backstage. That's gonna mean more of a live-sports approach to our product. That's 100% what we're doing, so I want to avoid any reactionary elements. I loved the Monday Night Wars, I did. And I'm not trying to be naive and ignore a situation where it's like 'Hey, if this happens, we'll have to play this card,' but I'm just saying I want us to be more about our young and upcoming crop of talent."

Hinted possible TV title as well.

Edited by D.Z