DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPT 2019

RIPPA

Yeah - I think moving to the monthly model is the best idea.

Creating an ALL OUT thread in a second

And yes I am a day earlier person who was going to make a comment who hasn't read any of the other announcements on the board

Even having seen all the Road Tos I'm digging this TNT special.  That said, the score music they use is fine (yes, generally melodramatic and obvious, but that's alright), but the songs are so lousy.  The tune repping Page is an emo boy band take on the Black Keys - oh, that pained delivery! The song at the end was pretty brutal too.  Whoever is choosing the music hasn't quite moved on from the cornball late 90s.  Also, these 'wrestler A' getting all intense and crazy while posing in the studio bits are wack. Brandi and Kenny and Cody and the more reserved 'I know I'm being filmed and I'm looking good' shots make sense.  The all riled up and intense Page style look silly.

I really like Schiavone in the Control Center.  A better position for Tony than play by play, but I'm really hoping he's prepared to to up his game.  Ha, dig his call 'the Bastard PAC'! 

Page's sit down with JR wasn't as bad as I remembered it.  Tho, it's also the difference of a strong edit, as this version was. I thought the original Road To version of the Page/JR sitdown was so lame that I'd forgotten about his stitches promo prior - which was pretty alright.  I hope he starts to better understand the importance of speaking naturally over being a roaring intense cartoon.  Jericho was pretty good here too.  

AEW is on an interesting path with this cinematic approach in some of the better Road Tos.  The Spears-Cody video in particular was really exceptional.  

2 hours ago, EVA said:

It is quite possible that every thread in this subforum will end up locked.

Well, I mean, that goes without saying since Rippa and Dolfan keep things tidy by closing show threads after a little bit.

But still, it's a funny visual.

Edited by Craig H

So I brought up some of the Starrcast panels in the summer thread. Well I'd like to recommend two other ones. The MJF panel was hilarious and was pretty much 45 minutes of him cutting a promo and interacting with the audience. He really is a gem and a half. Another one I'd strongly recommend is the Wrestling with Stereotypes panel. It had a few AEW wrestlers and it was two hours of some really great discussions. And considering how similar conversations happen on the board sometimes I feel it's well worth watching.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I want Kenny to go heel.

Absolutely. He does the "better than you" disdain so well. Kenny on top as king heel is what I want from this first year or so of AEW. Not necessarily as champ, but certainly as the "final boss" type heel.

Just because it might have gotten lost in the ALL OUT thread

The next PPV will be Saturday, Nov 9 in Baltimore (at the Royal Farms Arena)

So for those doing the math - the Week 6 Carolina show is the go home show for this PPV

From the commentary on the show it sounded like they were going with The Boricuas. Which WWE might try to copyright claim based on Savio Vega's crew in the whole Nation vs Nazi Bikers vs Puerto Ricans feud. Only that would be like trying to copyright claim "The Englishmen" or "the Americans" as a team name. 

Much like use of Hulk Hogan had to be licence from Marvel.  

I'm guessing the Gangrel name was either Heath wanted it, or they wanted some kind of Vampire name and V:tM had some good ones.

38 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Because that name as mentioned by Lonewolf, is owned by white wolf games who make the Vampire The Masquerade rpg.  Gangrel is the name of one of the vampire clans.

That was me who said it, but it's fine.

They didn't always license the Gangrel name.  They got in trouble for stealing it and then had to license it.  Gangrel doesn't even resemble the clan he's named after 

LAX is gonna be called Proud N Powerful or some shit 

Edited by Tromatagon

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Much like use of Hulk Hogan had to be licence from Marvel.  

I'm guessing the Gangrel name was either Heath wanted it, or they wanted some kind of Vampire name and V:tM had some good ones.

Whoever came up with Hollywood Hogan was a genius. Marvel got no cut from all of the merch.