DVDVR Message Board

ADVANCED WARNING: Board Reorganization

RIPPA

I did some Googling (ironic in this case) and basically it is Google Ads

On August 1 - they increased the size of their ads... again

Basically because mobile devices are getting bigger - advertisers were complaining that folks couldn't read tiny ads. So Google Ads increased the size to all them to include more information.

So basically the only solution on our end (that I can find) would be to turn them off completely. And that is a DEAN call.

And Sugar Daddy needs to recoup money for this site somehow.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Is the reorganization why the ads that show up at the top of every page when I'm looking at the site on my phone, which is the only time I do nowadays, why I'm suddenly seeing a  shit ton of " HATE LIBRELS, ? CLICK HERE", or "THEY'RE GONNA TAKE YER GUNS AWAY ", or "HOW DO YOU FEEL BOUT ILLEAGELS" " ads? 

It says it's based on the sites I visit. I imagine that means Facebook and Twitter. The only others I visit are here and sites to find out about DCW TV.

Two things: 

1) This is microtargeting.  I live in AOC's district (and voted for her).  Until about a month ago, my ads were pretty solidly "Tell the President how great he's doing!" or worse. (I got one last week with a big picture of Rep. Ilhan Omar that I'm sure would have led to nothing positive.) I thought it was them just wasting money, but my partner seems to think this is part of a strategy on the Rep's part to show how "out of touch" and "evil" those damned Dems are - especially ones represented by "The Squad".  This makes a little more sense to me - though Hanlon's Razor may very well still apply. 

2) Go to your Google account and find the ad settings (https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662856?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en).   When you're there, turn OFF Politics as one of the things you're interested in. That sharply reduced the number of ads like the ones you mentioned for me. 

Just to get into the weeds even more

There are the Ads you can opt out of via Google's Ad Settings and then you can opt out of all the places customizing ads for you via WebChoices

The rabbit hole customizing via YourAdChoices is a fucking deep and dark one

I definitely need to do that because for whatever reason, I keep getting ads for something called "Torrid," which as best as I can tell is for normal (not model skinny) women's wear.

And before anyone makes jokes, I'm on my work computer, but I'm sure it has to do with all the discussion around women's wrestling.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I did some Googling (ironic in this case) and basically it is Google Ads

On August 1 - they increased the size of their ads... again

Basically because mobile devices are getting bigger - advertisers were complaining that folks couldn't read tiny ads. So Google Ads increased the size to all them to include more information.

So basically the only solution on our end (that I can find) would be to turn them off completely. And that is a DEAN call.

And Sugar Daddy needs to recoup money for this site somehow.

I get the need for ads and while I would love to not see them again you gotta do what's needed.

I will say though for me I have AdBlock Plus which works on desktop browsers and Opera on mobile has a built-in ad block feature.  That and I also turned off ad personalization a while ago since I'm paranoid enough about Google as it is.  So it doesn't affect me though I'm not sure if blocking them affects ad revenue.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

I definitely need to do that because for whatever reason, I keep getting ads for something called "Torrid," which as best as I can tell is for normal (not model skinny) women's wear.

And before anyone makes jokes, I'm on my work computer, but I'm sure it has to do with all the discussion around women's wrestling.

That may be related to me?  I shop there and with all the various places we're connected you may be getting some splashback.

I doubt it. Aren't the ads tied to the things you type out on your own computer?

Then again, if that's the case, it makes no sense for me to also get a bunch of ads for flights. I'm horribly afraid of flying and never really talk about it or search for flights.

Speaking of terrible ads from terrible people, the last couple days I've been getting pick up artist type ads. Hopefully asking Google not to show me those anymore helps, because I feel disgusting just seeing them.

44 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of terrible ads from terrible people, the last couple days I've been getting pick up artist type ads. Hopefully asking Google not to show me those anymore helps, because I feel disgusting just seeing them.

I feel disgusted remembering I saw that VH1 reality show about that years ago.  That shit is the worst and I'm glad I have ad blockers in place.

I haven't gotten any random crazy ads I've noticed in months. I just get sales lead stuff and opportunities to start a yoga franchise. Although, right now, I have a giant red Tulsi Gabbard 2020 donation ad. Hopefully, my support will get her into the debates.

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I get the deal where I go to a website where I could potentially buy something, and then all I see for like the next week are ads from that site over and over.  Even if I already bought what I wanted.

You do know now they probably own the device you made your purchase on? You might as well throw it away and get another one.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I am just glad that I haven't been getting the one about the starving kids in Africa with the horrible face maladies.  I mean I am trying to look at stuff and all of the sudden I see a poor kid who looks like Ken Griffey Jr on that Simpsons baseball episode.    

To paraphrase Bobby Heenan, I don't need this board to make me look like a scumbag I can do that perfectly fine on my own  ?

Edited by hammerva