Feather boas

Taped fists

Knee pads over jeans tucked into boots

Fireballs

Bleached blond hair

Masks

Poison mist

T shirts with iron-on letters

I'd have Masks and T shirts with iron-on letters higher, but this is a great list.

• Like 1

Tough question. I'm not sure about the order in some cases:

1. Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan.

2. Kenta Kobashi.

3. Kazuchika Okada.

4. Bret Hart.

5. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

6. Ricky Steamboat.

7. Mitsuharu Misawa.

8. The Undertaker.

9. Ric Flair.

10. Eddie Guerrero.

Putting the top four in order was a real fucker to do. I considered a number of names for #10, gave it to Eddie on versatility.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Johnny Valentine

Dick Murdock

Eddy Guerrero

Chris Benoit

Ric Flair

L A Park

Lioness Asuka

Barry Windham

Monster Ripper

Shinya Hashimoto

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I'm a sucker for versatility so my list is composed mostly of guys that I think can do basically anything at a high level. In no order:

Eddy Guerrero

Randy Savage

Dick Murdoch

Terry Funk

Vader

Ric Flair

Arn Anderson

Dusty Rhodes

Steve Austin

Rick Rude

No Daniel Bryan for versatility?

Fiery babyface, prick heel, tag team worker with the hot tag, can do comedy, talk, brawl and fly.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Monster Ripper

This intrigues me. I have seen almost nothing of her beyond the Bertha Faye run, and I hella enjoyed that, although I was like 17 at the time, so my tastes have for sure changed quite a bit. I should dig up what I can find of Stampede and Japan and get to watching.

So my PWOGWE top 10, excluding Japanese guys for various reasons, made in 2016, was:

1 Nick Bockwinkel
2 Negro Casas
3 Buddy Rose
4 Terry Funk
5 El Satanico
6 Jerry Lawler
7 Jim Breaks
8 Ric Flair
9 Andre the Giant
10 Virus

Again, it was "greatest wrestler (in-ring) ever (based on footage we have available)"

A few years later, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that list. I've spent a lot less time with guys like Breaks, Rose, and Lawler over the last few years than I did the few years before it. I don't have any hesitation keeping Bock at the top, however. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

This intrigues me. I have seen almost nothing of her beyond the Bertha Faye run, and I hella enjoyed that, although I was like 17 at the time, so my tastes have for sure changed quite a bit. I should dig up what I can find of Stampede and Japan and get to watching.

You want her Japan stuff.  She was Vader before Vader was Vader.

• Like 1

I made a GWE list and it’s been lost to time. My opinion on it has changed in the last few years. So, revised. Also there are guys I’m not listing due to lack of footage I’ve seen I’m hoping I can revise if we ever do that shit again in 2026. Examples being Bock, Negro Casas, and Buddy Rose.

Main Things I look for in wrestling are actually kind of count t to each other: Either bring able to excel at any role, or being so good at one role it’s basically idiotic to use you in a different one. Basically, Rick Martel is such an amazing babyface I don’t hold it against him that his heel work wasn’t amazing, or that Vader can just be Vader everywhere and it always works.

1. Bryan Danielson: Long run of incredibly high end matches that lasts almost 20 years now. Check. Outstanding versatility with the ability to be a top face or top heel regardless of environment? Check. By far the best modern wrestler in a time where modern wrestling has kinda fallen into an abyss imo? Triple Check. Everything I could want in a worker.

2. William Regal: Same principle. If a Regal match pops up against literally anyone, I wanna watch it. Also like Bryan was damn good in comedic segments too. You can fit him anywhere and he will work.

3. Rey Mysterio: I’ve actually pushed him down, as he was my No.1 in 2016. I think Bryan has passed him just due to how many things he does, but Rey is still Rey.

4. Eddie Guerrero: Did I mention versatility? Eddie is as versatile as it gets in wrestling and he ruled. Could have had a case for higher if not for his death. Still solidly stupid high for me though.

5. Terry Funk: Probably too low, honestly. Outstanding worker for so long, can play almost any role.

6. Arn Anderson: One of the 3 best tag wrestlers to ever lace up the boots, and arguably my definition of “wrestler I will always go out of my way to watch” 

7. Vader: Remember what I said about a wrestler that doesn’t make versatility matter? Vader could be plugged literally anywhere in any company in the 90s and it would work. WCW, Shoot Style, Lucha, doesn’t matter. Vader is eternal. Vader is awesome.

8. Justin Lyger: No real explanation needed here, right? I think conventional wisdom has Bryan, Rey, Lyger, and Casas as the best Light Heavyweights in Wrestling history now, right? Maybe toss on El Hijo Del Santo, and maybe Eddie if you count him.

9, Finlay: I was the high voter for him in 2016 and that opinion has probably softened a bit. But as one of those weird people who thinks late 2000’s Smackdown And ECW are incredibly under rated, he was a giant lynch pin of that era. Also was awesome everywhere save for the World of Sport stuff I’ve seen.

10. Randy Savage: Once more a high end plus versatility guy. His 90’s work mostly sucks. Before that he’s completely great.

My opinion on this could change. Honestly I could probably bump C.M. Punk in this and have no regrets, and Steamboat is right on the cusp. 

• Like 1

1. Stan Hansen - unpredictable, wild fighting with emotion. He is the ideal wrestler in my mind but it would suck if his style were the norm. He needs tranquil waters to juxtapose his hurricane.
  2. Toshiaki Kawada - the blend of the best styles of Oudou and Strong Style with some of the best selling, psychology, emotion, and timing you'll get.
  3. Akira Hokuto - Fire, selling, recklessness that shortened her career (which sucks) but boy did she burn brightly while she was going
  4. Jumbo Tsuruta - Master of everything. Ultimate psychology in wrestling.
  5. Bret Hart - Unpredictable yet technical and controlled, great storyteller, felt like a fight unlike with HBK's more ostentatious dance routines but Bret still maintained the best parts of great wrestling psychology.
  6. Kenny Omega - Yeah, there are a few things here and there that I'd like to see him change but he's been in so many phenomenal matches and has really pushed storytelling in and out of the ring in interesting ways.
  7. Nick Bockwinkel - In my mind, the best of the '70s mat-based style and a great promo to boot. Ultimate grace.
  8. Terry Funk - Versatility, commitment to a character in everything he does, one of the best promo guys ever even if he wasn't fluid/polished on the mic. He was Terry fucking Funk. 
  9. Mitsuharu Misawa - Stoic ace that knew when to subtly show vulnerability. Ruthless in that he would take the straight, most efficient path to victory with no remorse or emotion. I have always attached myself to the outsider/black sheep types like Kawada who toiled and usually lost, so I have a hard time associating with Misawa and Okada (another reason why I thought the Okada/Omega feud is the best in-ring feud of all time and why I so easily latch on to Omega). Alongside Kobashi, he led the arms race of moves that resulted in his premature death but his greatness is undeniable.
  10. Kazuchika Okada - Flows like water in that he will often let his dance partner lead and he'll fit in right at home with them. Involved in two of the three greatest in-ring feuds ever in my opinion.

I obviously prefer Japanese heavyweight wrestling with all of the fire but guys like Buddy Rose and Flair are on the fringe for me. Tanahashi too, I feel bad for including Omega and Okada while not selecting him but I can live with that. Choshu as well is a guy that doesn't get enough credit as being one of the best because despite being so influential and being part of some of Japan's hottest matches and rivalries. He got content with the Riki Lariat tho and that kind of killed off his chances at being a serious contender in my mind.

Edited by Oyaji

Hansen

Funk

Kawada

Bret

Foley

Tenryu

Vader

Eddy

Hash

Casas/Santito (coin flip) 

and there's a big old asterisk who you can probably guess is