DVDVR Message Board

Program an All-Night Horror Marathon

jaedmc

Was going through a bunch of Shock Waves Podcast episodes and listened to one where they programmed their own all night horror marathon. Figured it'd be something fun for people on the board to do.

Time slots

7pm -9pm

9pm-11pm

11pm - 1am

1am - 3am

3am -5am Considered by the hosts to be the most dreaded slot on the show in which people are fading hard. 

5am - 7am

So what would YOU program if you had the run of the theater?

46 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

7pm -9pm      Night of the Demons (1988)                 From Beyond (1986)

9pm-11pm     Superstition (1982)

11pm - 1am    The Beyond (1981)

1am - 3am      The  Void (2016)

3am -5am       The Sentinel (1977)

5am - 7am      Ghosthouse (1988)                               Prince of Darkness (1987)

Now that I think about it, I'd swap out Night of the Demons and Ghosthouse for From Beyond and Prince of Darkness.  Those fit much better into an overall theme of haunted houses and portals to hell/other dimensions. Or else just replace The Void with We Are Still Here. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Can we get clarifications?

Is this for basic cable or premium cable/ppv, where we would need to worry about the films' ratings (gore, boobs, ...)? 

Are the 2 hour blocks flexible? 

IMAgine it's a theatre. Don't stress too much about the time. If something runs over, something else will probably run under, and extra time will be utilized for un-numbing your butt.

I am going to cheat a little and include one of my favorite Netflix joints so that my NIGHT OF INTERNATIONAL HORROR marathon will be awesome.

7pm -9pm      Inside (À l'intérieur) (2007) - DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION~?

9pm-11pm     The Ritual (2017) - I was going to put either The Borderlands / Last Prayer or Lake Mungo in this spot, but I really like The Ritual and I already had two found footage horror movies in mind for this marathon.

11pm - 1am    NOROI: The Curse (2005) - Goes without saying.

1am - 3am      Don't Torture A Duckling (1972) - I needed a giallo entry plus I figure that Barbara Bouchet's boobs would wake people up.

3am -5am       [REC] (2007) - If this doesn't get 'em through the wee hours, nothin' will.

5am - 7am      The Cured (2017) - continuing the rage zombie motif from [REC] and it's a pretty chill film to end with.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

The B&W playlist

1900: The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920) - to help fill time, will play Rob Zombies Living Dead Girl Video

2100: Freaks (1932)

2300: I walked with a Zombie (1943)

0100: Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

0300: Night of the Demon (1957)

0500: Psycho (1960)

• Like 4

I figured Mark would go old school and he picked some strong entries for that marathon. 

The comedy entry to break up the tension is a  particularly nice touch.

Edited by J.T.

I have a slight suspicion that Jae is helping book an indie theater somewhere in the Chicago area and wants some assistance ? But that could just be because OUR local arthouse just posted on their Facebook asking people what they wanted to see for Shocktoberfest this year. My offers were The House by the Cemetery, Inferno, and Zulawski's Possession. 

I'll take a whack at this after a couple drinks tomorrow night as I'll be in the perfect mood for knowing what I'd want to see. And I have been to all-night horror fests, and you do indeed have to pace those suckers. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Now that I think about it, I'd swap out Night of the Demons and Ghosthouse for From Beyond and Prince of Darkness.  Those fit much better into an overall theme of haunted houses and portals to hell/other dimensions. Or else just replace The Void with We Are Still Here. 

I love the theme. Solid solid answer.

My first stab (hey-oh) at this I'm going to go with a variety, no strict theme.

7pm -9pm The Changeling - I want something eerie, not bloody in the lineup, but it's tough to play those late when people are tired, so this gets slotted first. George C Scott is great in it.  

9pm-11pm The Wailing - I'm fitting in the foreign film before it gets too late for people to read subtitles. I fucking LOVE this movie. Great plot, and some really creepy shit.

11pm - 1am - The Burning - I feel like right here we gotta start getting the crowd involved, so we go 80's Camp Slasher which has some ridiculous kills. You also get early roles from Fisher Stevens, Jason Alexander and Holly Hunter to cheer and laugh at.

1am - 3am - Tales From the Hood - Need at least one anthology and this one is a classic.

3am -5am - The Descent - This may be a dick move, but in the slot where people might be the most tired, I want to throw them into this hell hole cave where shit is lurking around every dark corner. 

5am - 7am - Tales From the Crypt Demon Knight - Great soundtrack, and we end with a movie in which the main characters just have to last through the night. 

• Like 5

Just stuff you'd have seen at the drive-in or on Son of Svenghoulie or Capt. USA's Groovy Movies.

7pm-9pm The Killer Shrews

9pm-11 pm Daddy's Deadly Darlings

11pm-1am Deadly Eyes

1am-3am Grizzly

3am-5am Orca

5am-7am Squirm

• Like 3

"Sleepy, Hazy Little Towns and a Tourist Trap."

7pm-9pm              Tourist Trap (1979)

9pm-11pm            Dead and Buried (1981)

11pm-1am            Salem's Lot (1979)                                                                                                ALTERNATE: Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)

1am-3am               Salem's Lot (1979)/Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)     ALTERNATE: The Norliss Tapes (1973)

3am-5am               Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971)

5am-7am               Messiah of Evil (1973)

I realize that showing a 3-hour movie (with the pacing of a 1970s made-for-tv mini-series) where the real scares are kind of backloaded into the last 80 minutes is probably asking a bit much of an audience. It would be fun to see how many people jump during the jail cell visit though. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie is a straight-up zombie movie unlike the others on the list and the zombies are by no means supernatural. However, when you consider the atmosphere of the English countryside, the crypt and graveyard scene, the look of the red-eyed zombies, and the two protagonists as strangers in a weird remote town, it fits right alongside the rest of the line-up.

The Norliss Tapes would be fun to squeeze in. If you pair it with Salem's Lot, it's interesting to note the similarities between Kurt Barlow's look and the main ghoul in The Norliss Tapes. Tourist Trap is probably better suited to the 11 pm slot if Salem's Lot isn't in the line-up. I'd also try to show Dead and Buried after Tourist Trap as the latter makes the reveal in Dead and Buried that much stranger when you think about the similarities. The 3am slot should be reserved for the following: something very weird as a treat for people that have managed to stay awake; something mainstream enough that it's more likely to have been seen than the rest of the movies; or something obscure that half the crowd just won't be into. Let's Scare Jessica To Death falls into the third category. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 6

Guest The Magnificent 7

7pm - 9pm ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK

9pm-11pm THE BROOD

11pm - 1am  SALEM’S LOT

1am - 3am WOLF CREEK

3am -5am THE BEAST MUST DIE

5am - 7am THE HOUSE WITH LAUGHING WINDOWS

Edit - I called an audible and substituted HORROR EXPRESS with THE HOUSE WITH LAUGHING WINDOWS because it’s a better bookend with what I started things off with.

Edited by The Magnificent 7