DVDVR Message Board

Clash of the Champions XXXVIII - 9/15/2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I think we get one more Orton v Kingston match in the Cell rather than Fiend v Rollins. Maybe a New Day vs FTRKO 6 man with all the belts on the line?

Kofi loses the title because Big E got pinned... tension with the New Day...

NOPE. New Day breakup/dissension will never be a good idea.

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Alexa rolling up R-Truth in an effort to win the 24/7 title was a nice touch. They need to include the women more in that chase.

They absolutely do not. Keeping the intergender stuff out of the company is one of the few things they've gotten almost totally right. If it returns, I will gladly do what so many others seem to have trouble doing: stop watching WWE.

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Zero interest in Bray doing the same Bray things from 5 years ago but in a mask against Seth. 

I really don't understand what everyone is so hyped about. The only change that isn't cosmetic is the Mandible Claw. If we're going all in on the new presentation of Bray, shouldn't we wait until the actual important change is made, and he is booked to win some matches?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really, really hate the corny Rob Zombie horror presentation and Hot Topic mask, but they have to commit to SOMEONE other than Reigns and Rollins going forward, and Bray is a rare case of a guy that had cooled off completely suddenly becoming the hottest act in the company. Put the belt on him, build Balor or Black up as the vaguely supernatural face equivalent for Wrestlemania, and let Rollins go develop a personality for a year or so if he's gonna be a top guy going forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

They absolutely do not. Keeping the intergender stuff out of the company is one of the few things they've gotten almost totally right. If it returns, I will gladly do what so many others seem to have trouble doing: stop watching WWE.

The 24/7 title is a comedy prop as currently used. Nearly all the wins are by rollup. If the women were getting thrown down stairs to win, it would be a different story. But as it stands, I don't see a problem.

• Like 4

I skipped around a little last night to see the matches I was interested in, will watch the rest today.

Styles/Alexander was a fun sprint. Cedric ate some big moves like the almost brain buster on the apron really well but he never really seemed like he had a shot.

Charlotte/Bayley was good but the ending was great. I like cheap wins and heels running away with the belt, it’s a simple formula but it works.

I thought Becky/Sasha was going really well until the end but even the post-match was cool. Dis-arm-her using the hand rails is a callback to when Sasha used the Bank Statement with the rail on Charlotte back in the day, awesome spot. I think these two have a great straight match in them still and I’d like to see it sometime.

Stoked for Harper to get another go and I also laughed when he showed up after the kvetching over how he was being treated. I don’t think Rowan should be tossed aside since he’s put in the work recently but I do hope Harper gets the opportunity for some high profile singles matches. Harper/Reigns and Bludgeon Bros/Roman and Bryan have my full attention if they happen.

I thought they might protect Braun more in a loss by having him take a bigger beating in the opener but it doesn’t look like they did that so he’s truly cooked as a top guy. He was before but this was the confirmation. This version of Rollins isn’t working and the crowd isn’t buying it to such a point that I think it does him a disservice. Imagine working your whole life to become the top champ of the top company and end up totally miscast for a mediocre run. Then again, I didn’t really enjoy his reign as heel champ either.

• Like 1

@Godfrey, is there a version of Rollins that works? I’m seriously asking. Heel Rollins didn’t. That wasn’t all his fault, but it didn’t. Face Rollins is a disaster. With AEW tv coming up, the last thing WWE needs is a top guy that repels viewers...

24 minutes ago, just drew said:

@Godfrey, is there a version of Rollins that works? I’m seriously asking. Heel Rollins didn’t. That wasn’t all his fault, but it didn’t. Face Rollins is a disaster. With AEW tv coming up, the last thing WWE needs is a top guy that repels viewers...

Rollins in tag team workrate matches ala The Shield and his 2017 team with Ambrose is fine. Keep him far far far far far away from the Main Event.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Meltzer hated the show, and based on what he said, he seems to imply that he had a (in-?)direct role in Harper's return.   

Dave is a national treasure you guys. 

Two things

1) Or.... OR... and hear me out. Bryan and Vinny are the idiots. Literally on the PPV recap show that Bryan and Dave do - Dave says "I was told that Luke Harper was called on Friday". Which blows up the whole timeline. But sure Alvarez - Vince was listening to the WON show live and immediately grabbed the phone to show up Dave

2) Dave didn't "hate" the show. The point was - in Dave's opinion - good shows aren't going to cut it now when everyone else is having "great" shows (I am paraphrasing that but all the DAVE IS EVIL~! folks do it that too.) They both pointed out that they though Clash was the worst of the three shows on that day (New Japan and TripleMania).

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, just drew said:

There's a part of me that wonders if a quiet, brooding Seth could work somehow. Give him the Crow Sting gimmick, more or less. His voice, cadence, and cartoonish facial expressions have been his big detriments as a face and a heel; he's TOO obnoxious as a heel and gets go-away heat instead of boo-this-man heat, and he's just a dork with abs as a face. So maybe put him in a leather jacket and make him shut the hell up and see what happens.

• Like 2

Meltz:

For Hell in a Cell, the plan right now is two matches in a cell, one male, one female with Universal Champion Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend (Bray Wyatt) and Raw Women's Champion Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks. Hell in a Cell is taking place at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, California on October 6.

1 hour ago, brocklock said:

Rollins in tag team workrate matches ala The Shield and his 2017 team with Ambrose is fine. Keep him far far far far far away from the Main Event.

These are exactly the versions I’ve enjoyed. He’s great in a tag, but if @just drew means as a singles guy?

50 minutes ago, w. josh said:

There's a part of me that wonders if a quiet, brooding Seth could work somehow. Give him the Crow Sting gimmick, more or less. His voice, cadence, and cartoonish facial expressions have been his big detriments as a face and a heel; he's TOO obnoxious as a heel and gets go-away heat instead of boo-this-man heat, and he's just a dork with abs as a face. So maybe put him in a leather jacket and make him shut the hell up and see what happens.

This could work. It’s Seth’s promos that set most people off so maybe having him not speak will get him over. It’s funny, for all the times I’ve heard “you just have to be yourself dialled up to 11” as a metric for a successful gimmick, it only works half the time. Early Undertaker and Crow Sting weren’t Mark and Steve dialled up, they were gimmicks. I’d like to see a repackaged Rollins, something that hides his faults and accentuates his athleticism.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Two things

1) Or.... OR... and hear me out. Bryan and Vinny are the idiots. Literally on the PPV recap show that Bryan and Dave do - Dave says "I was told that Luke Harper was called on Friday". Which blows up the whole timeline. But sure Alvarez - Vince was listening to the WON show live and immediately grabbed the phone to show up Dave

2) Dave didn't "hate" the show. The point was - in Dave's opinion - good shows aren't going to cut it now when everyone else is having "great" shows (I am paraphrasing that but all the DAVE IS EVIL~! folks do it that too.) They both pointed out that they though Clash was the worst of the three shows on that day (New Japan and TripleMania).

Man, I'm a NJPW fan and Yesterday's show wasn't better than Clash.  

I'm just pretty convince Dave's a fucking moron at this point and will go insane if anyone tells him he's wrong, even when all evidence points to him being wrong and not knowing what the fuck he's talking about 80% of the time now.