DVDVR Message Board

Clash of the Champions XXXVIII - 9/15/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Didn't care for anything on the first half of the show at all, except the womens tag was pretty fun. Then thought Kofi/Orton ended up quite good and Roman/Rowan ruled. Originally thought Orton would win until the Revival won (and almost all heels at that point), then figured Kofi would retain. Was never huge on Harper but hilarious right after all the "no value" reports, great win for Rowan. Zero interest in Bray doing the same Bray things from 5 years ago but in a mask against Seth. 

I loved this show. And so did my family. I watch the PPV's each month with my buddy who is also a wrestling fan. For the last 13 years my  fam, who were not fans when we met, have watched a lot of wrestling thanks to me, and when a show or match grabs them,  that means it was good stuff. They watched this whole show and were into it. 

Except Rollins/ Braun. By that time Janette was going to bed and the rest of us were reheating meatballs.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

I have only watched Charlotte/Bayley so far, as I have been working tonight. But I have some time now and might watch a few matches. 

With the beatdown Charlotte was throwing, I am glad they did the quick cheating turnaround. I was starting to get nervous that Bayley might start earning sympathy from a crowd who were mostly booing properly. It's one of the difficulties in Charlotte working Face. She's bigger than everyone, and she immediately goes to an angry place when wrestling. 

That said, I do enjoy me some Charlotte beatdowns. 

I don't know who it was that reminded me recently that Bayley is a delusional heel, but tonight she demonstrated it beautifully. I loved how she went through all the motions in her entrance, and the crowd (apart from a few folks along the rail) were having none of it. 

• Like 3

I'm not done watching this yet. But this show feels like the agents and performers watched a ton of NWA stuff from 1987 and are placing that in the psychology. There is so much great stuff like that. Bayley's cowardice was such an awesome heel move and I could see Jimmy Jam Garvin doing that to keep the TV title or some such. Dash and Dawson heeling it up to a huge degree was also wonderful. And I loved Sami's motormouth heel manager routine. Very Cornette of him. 

• Like 3

If AJ vs Cedric was 5 10 more minutes its would have stole the show for me. I hope they get to work a PPV match soon. Becky vs Sasha seemed off to me until after that ref bump. The brawling was good but the match itself was off. The booking of it made sense. The Rivival vs New day was good. I hope this means SD has a strong tag division again. The main even was good too, I wasn't necessarily hyped for it but the Fiend is awesome. I love the Mandible claw, he doesn't have to be great in the ring. I'm not as critical of his in ring work as alot of people but I think with him being in better shape, it could help in improve in the ring.

• Like 2

Man fuck Bryan and Vinny.   They are completely shitting on this show.   One of their main criticisms is everything in some of the matches is "go-go-go".  These motherfuckers LOVE that shit when it's in PWG.  There is no difference.   Actually there is a difference.  WWE matches quite regularly have more psychology than PWG.  

• Like 6

Another criticism is Charlotte losing in her hometown .   Who the fuck cares?  She's won the title a million times. Bayley took advantage of a cheap tactic in a flash pin.  Why did it have to go 10+ minutes?   They are bitching because they couldn't see what happened in the finish until after the fact.  

That's the fucking point. You're not supposed to know exactly what happened until the replay. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Another criticism is Charlotte losing in her hometown .   Who the fuck cares?  She's won the title a million times. Bayley took advantage of a cheap tactic in a flash pin.  Why did it have to go 10+ minutes?   They are bitching because they couldn't see what happened in the finish until after the fact.  

That's the fucking point. You're not supposed to know exactly what happened until the replay. 

I knew Bayley was going to have to cheat, as dominant as Charlotte was. I was expecting her to do something to get DQ'd, perhaps. But this works. It's cowardly and sneaky and gives Charlotte something to hollar  about for a few TV eps. 

Edited by Captain Kronos

Ughhhhhhhh. Rollins with his captain flippydoo routine again. What they see in that dude, I'll never know. Hopefully WWE strikes while the iron is hot with the Fiend and pulls the plug on this train to nowhere with Rollins.

Just now, just drew said:

Ughhhhhhhh. Rollins with his captain flippydoo routine again. What they see in that dude, I'll never know. Hopefully WWE strikes while the iron is hot with the Fiend and pulls the plug on this train to nowhere with Rollins.

Thinking the other day that WWE's high on Seth Rollins as he's won a lot of championships. NXT Champion, WWE Champion, WWE Universal Champion, WWE Intercontinental Champion, WWE United States Champion, WWE Tag Team Titles and WWE RAW Tag Team Titles.

Alexa rolling up R-Truth in an effort to win the 24/7 title was a nice touch. They need to include the women more in that chase.

The great thing about this PPV is that nearly story was advanced. There wasn't any filler and everything moved at a decent clip. I think all companies should try to keep their secondary PPVs to three hours, but CoC didn't overstay its welcome.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Man fuck Bryan and Vinny.   They are completely shitting on this show.   One of their main criticisms is everything in some of the matches is "go-go-go".  These motherfuckers LOVE that shit when it's in PWG.  There is no difference.   Actually there is a difference.  WWE matches quite regularly have more psychology than PWG.  

Alvarez doesn't watch PWG and is pretty consistent in wanting slower pacing. It's Dave that loves PWG. 

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Alvarez doesn't watch PWG and is pretty consistent in wanting slower pacing. It's Dave that loves PWG. 

Huh? When he and Dave are discussing PWG (or other Young Bucks material) he is VERY agreeable.  He always says "it was awesome".  If he doesn't think that style is awesome then he should speak up and say No, Dave..  I didn't like that.