DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK Takeover Cardiff - 8/31/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Finally got up the motivation to watch it. And...

NXT (including UK) TakeOver singles main events (closing bouts excluding War Games) since January 2018 (Johnny's first singles TakeOver main event):

• <25 minutes long: 0
  • 25-29 minutes long: 1
  • 30-39 minutes long: 7
  • 40+ minutes long: 2

The two 40+ are from the last two TakeOvers. 

Joe and Balor main evented three TakerOvers. The longest was just over 18 minutes. On average, the main events pre-Gargano look to average out in the 20 minute range. But I haven't done the math on that. 

If someone could reverse this trend, that'd be great. I like Bate and WALTER. But I don't like them that much. Did it hold the crowd's attention? Sure. But at some point, someone needs to say "Just because we can, doesn't mean we should." 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1

I know most fans are split on Cornette and I know him taking shots at something or someone is what mostly gets talked about, so here's a different view as here's nothing but praise and love from him for WALTER/Bate.

Finally got around to catching this. I was mostly here for KayLee/Toni but decided to just watch the whole thing and it was all pretty great.

Had heard of but never seen Dragunov before, looked good here. Cesaro came off like a proper star for a change, similar to Finn last time around. This was Cesaro as he should be booked on the regular, come across like a killer.

The tag title match was spectacular. I wasn't super familiar with everyone involved but thought the match was awesome, great stuff all around. Coffey/Mastiff was pretty good, dug the rope break spot as unique. I've liked Coffey from what Ive seen of UK.

Kay Lee Ray v. Toni Storm was the match that got me here. Thought the pre-match video package was excellent in covering the buildup but was a little disappointed in the match being rather short. Felt like they were busting out finishers early and as others mentioned gave it a rushed feel. Still good, but could've been better. Was surprised to hear that KLR won the title as it seemed sudden/out of nowhere compared to Toni's rise but i'm a big fan of her so I dig it. Thought she shined in the first MYC and looked excellent overall here. I hadn't watched an episode in between the two Takeovers but this at least has convinced me to continue on with the next episode. KLR vs Tegan Nox sounds intriguing.

Main event was in fucking sane, as everyone has already covered. I knew going in that it had gotten rave reviews and was gonna be great. Figured it'd go around 30 but was blown away by the over 40 minutes of action. Incredible stuff and so much better done than what was going on other NXT last I saw. A real epic.