DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK Takeover Cardiff - 8/31/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I really wish there was more time in the week to keep up with NXT UK but there's just SO MUCH WRESTLING(I know, first world problems)

-WALTER vs Bate was long but damnit I was engrossed from start to finish and was screaming for Bate to put the big son of a bitch down. Bate threw everything he had and then some and came so close but in the end WALTER was just too much. Count me in on the crowd wanting a BSS/Imperium Wargames

-Tag match was great and people taking their shoes off because they hate Gibson never gets old to me.

-Women's match was too short and felt like it just...ended but I liked what we did get.

-Since we all know he's not going to do anything on Raw or Smackdown can we just let Cesaro stay and tear it up like he did tonight? and give me Cesaro vs WALTER!!!

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I had someone ask me if the rope break in the LMS was a work. Since I didnt see it mentioned, any thoughts on the Issue? 

I assumed work since they didn't seem like they were in a rush to fix it and Coffey and Mastiff are the guys they are trying to push as the toughest of bruisers in NXT UK.

Bate/WALTER was great, but it should have ended after the splash. If we're going to complain about Canadian Destroyer kickouts (and we should), a sleeper suplex on the apron should end it just as well.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:08 PM, Jamal said:

I agree that KLR/Toni felt a little rushed but I’ve felt that way about the feud as a whole. Should be interesting to see what happens with the new champ. The division has a few women ready to breakthrough. 

I unfortunately haven't been able to watch the shows but from what I read I feel Piper would be a great challenger.  Hopefully she gets a shot at it and wins after KLR had it for a bit.

I knew Bate vs. Walter was a great stylistic match on paper, but god damn. That was the most 90s AJ style match since like 1997. I mean just the best parts of Kobashi vs. Hansen/Williams and Misawa vs. Vader all rolled into one.

The rare "once every couple of years" match that just reminds me why I'll always love pro wrestling.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, Dog said:

Bate/WALTER was great, but it should have ended after the splash. If we're going to complain about Canadian Destroyer kickouts (and we should), a sleeper suplex on the apron should end it just as well.

It effectively did. There's a difference between "weak kickout then eat more finishers until you lose" and "kickout then go back on offense where you can realistically win."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

It effectively did. There's a difference between "weak kickout then eat more finishers until you lose" and "kickout then go back on offense where you can realistically win."

The 'strong kickout of defiance before getting whomped with another finish' is a pretty standard NXT finish to be fair. Asuka vs Nia Jax used it, and there's been others iirc.

(Edit: Michaels vs Taker II to an extent)

Edited by ComingToAmerica

The announcers missed some points to the story to Bate/Walter too.

Bate wasn't giving up a lot of pure strength necessarily, but definitely leverage and striking power with Walter's longer limbs and ability to strike downward instead of having to strike upward.

The exploder was Bate's most effective move because when he could use a crotch hold and get his center of gravity lower to muscle over the bigger man. Also, his general suplex/lifting technique of getting his hips low and driving through to neutralize his weight disadvantage.

The embarrassment of Walter over getting slammed early, immediately trying for one of his own and getting countered, then hitting a super-disgruntled one after the apron/ring post power bombs.

Bate snapped the fingers on Walter's non-chopping hand.

This is match where you can probably re-watch it a dozen times and find something new to love each time.

• Like 1