DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK Takeover Cardiff - 8/31/2019

Dolfan in NYC

A new match was just announced, so here's the card as it stands:

FOR THE NXT UK CHAMPIONSHIP - WALTER (c) vs. Tyler Bate

FOR THE NXT UK WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Toni Storm (c) vs. Kay Lee Ray

LAST MAN STANDING - Dave Mastiff vs. Joe Coffey

TRIPLE THREAT FOR THE NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Grizzled Young Veterans (c) vs. Mark Andrews/Flash Webber vs. Gallus (M. Coffey & Wolfgang)

• 2 weeks later...

While Cesaro in NXT UK is a serious step down for him on the WWE totem pole, he could probably have the best year of his WWE career with some of the matches that are available.   I can think of at least 4 or 5 incredible matches alone.   More important it could give us what we really want and that is the Kings of Wrestling team in NXT

• Like 1

Fantasy booking for a second.

Cesaro has a few great matches with the NXT UK stars. Has a match with Joe Coffey where Mark runs in and Cesaro gets beat down. He vows to bring back up to the next UK Takeover vs The Coffey Brothers. And that partner is....

KASSIUS OHNO!

KOW fanboys faint all over the world!

How'd I do???

With the Main NXT Roster going to USA on a 2 hour time slot. The are more likely than NXTUK to get guys from the main roster that aren't get used that dont fit. Most of the UK talent on the main roster are well known for their work rate especially the 205 guys. I'm sure Cesaro does have a name and value it adds to TakeOver like Finn did. I hope they start doing more Takeovers because I rarely watch any weekly TV, even when I hear about recommended matches. I never miss a TakeOver or a PPV. I'm too lazy to take out the time to catch up with anything. Even with the Main roster TV no matter how back the booking is on WWE TV, the PPVs are almost always good inring wise. If NXTUK had more Takeovers than I get more of a chance to see those guys outside of just the guys that are on The main NXT TakerOvers or maybe the occasional 205Live episode I might catch

That was much better than TakeOver Toronto -- I'd take Cesaro/Dragunov, the 3 way tag title match and WALTER/Bate over any match from that show.

Super hot crowds for those 3 matches and a massive pop for the tag title change.

Edited by Edwin

Only saw that main but damn that ruled. I especially loved Bate attacking from every angle and with moves that didn't just look like his regular wrestling moves (the leg/butt drops, that one punch in the ear, etc). That kind of extra shit is what makes matches really stand out to me, especially matches this long.

• Like 1

I'm speed-watching now. I think NXT UK Takeover is the new NXT Takeover.

The 3 way tag match was all sorts of fun, and even though I don't really like Andrews and Webster all that much...I really wanted the Mod and Shite Punk Pop Express to win by the end of the match. 

Edited by ComingToAmerica

I started the show late and need a rest by the women;s title match so I've only just finished.

Dar/Banks was decent enough from what I saw, but I couldn't be bothered to give a crap about it. I actually like both guys fine, but the match just didn't need to be on a Takeover with the little build it had and WWE choosing to give us a Cesaro match. It even felt like a usual good tv match.

Cesaro/Dragunov was good for Cesaro who just looked great throughout. Dragunov looked fine, but there is something about him I'm just not really sold on yet. 

The tag titles match was so damn good though I can't help but think it would have been better had it just been Grizzled Young Vets vs. Andrews and Webster.

Joe Coffey vs. Mastiff had some nice moments, but the match dragged and had a flat ending. Their match on NXT UK tv was much better.

Toni/KLR was nice while it lasted, but it felt rushed. Disappointing since this could have easily been the second best match of the show.

WALTER/Bate was fantastic. Loved seeing Bate struggle to fight and survive after those powerbombs so early in. Was neat how the fighting spirit would come to play and I loved the different things Bate would bring to the table to stay in the fight. Its kind of amazing that Dunne might have actually had the weakest matches with WALTER out of British Strong Style, and those were still pretty damn good.

The show was solid at worst if only for the tag titles match and WALTER/Bate. For me I'm still just a bit disappointed with a couple of the matches since I know they could and have been better in the past.

Joe Coffey was brilliant in that finish! The only thing that was keeping him up was the case he was leaning on he saw Mastiff was going to use the other case to survive the count so he kicked it out thus taking away that crutch and winning the match. 

I watched everything but WALTER/Bate so far. Everything was pretty stellar up to that. I'll admit I'm a mark for the the Flash/Andrews team...got totally lost watching that match. And that was pretty awesome. Looking forward to the probably title defence vs Gallus on the next set of tapings. And I'm super pumped to watch WALTER/Bate tomorrow!