DVDVR Message Board

Buddy Murphy Live - 8/13/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I keep making the comparison and I know others have as well, but that match made me think even more that Buddy Murphy could wind up being as good as Chris Benoit or be this generation's version of him, just, you know, without all of the awful stuff. Part of that is look and his body type for someone that's his height is huge. It helps make Buddy look like he belongs in there with Roman or other people taller than Buddy. He also has such a snap or crispness to his moves and really everything he does. He and Andrade have this special innate ability to make everything they do look far more violent than what anyone else is doing. The adage in wrestling is that to go slower and when you think you're slow enough, go even slower than that, but for Buddy or Andrade that rule looks like it goes out of the window.

I wound up re-watching that match because I liked it so much. I fucking love almost everything they're doing with Roman now. The booking team finally has his character nailed down and he's taken ownership of it as well. It's refreshing to see them give Buddy Murphy a look like this too and hopefully he took his opportunity and in booking's eyes, knocked it out of the park.

• Like 2

I liked the show a lot.  Didn't notice Charlotte's bit of Tranquilo until the gif but that's a pretty neat shoutout to Andrande.  Buddy/Roman ruled and Bryan was excellent in his role.  I was getting a Lebowski vibe where he going all "Where's the money, Lebowski?! with bits of Walter smashing the car ("This is what happens when you...")  Intended or not I liked that quite a bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Roman is one of those guys who is so much better working with smaller wrestlers

He's great with smaller wrestlers, but he also has that terrific LMS match with Big Show, the best ever WM main event at 31 (bar the last two minutes) vs Brock and he's pretty much the reason Braun got over. Maybe he's just great at size extremes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

I keep making the comparison and I know others have as well, but that match made me think even more that Buddy Murphy could wind up being as good as Chris Benoit or be this generation's version of him, just, you know, without all of the awful stuff. Part of that is look and his body type for someone that's his height is huge. It helps make Buddy look like he belongs in there with Roman or other people taller than Buddy. He also has such a snap or crispness to his moves and really everything he does. He and Andrade have this special innate ability to make everything they do look far more violent than what anyone else is doing. The adage in wrestling is that to go slower and when you think you're slow enough, go even slower than that, but for Buddy or Andrade that rule looks like it goes out of the window.

I wound up re-watching that match because I liked it so much. I fucking love almost everything they're doing with Roman now. The booking team finally has his character nailed down and he's taken ownership of it as well. It's refreshing to see them give Buddy Murphy a look like this too and hopefully he took his opportunity and in booking's eyes, knocked it out of the park.

I definitely got that Benoit vibe from Buddy last night as well. I feel like the “I know this is a show but in between the ropes that dude is the best they have” spot could be his if they follow this up appropriately. 

Watched the match last night (because I sat here and ignored it while it was actually on like a dummy). Pretty good WWE TV match, Roman looked good, Buddy looked good. I'm not seeing stars or Benoit or whatever you guys are but it was a fine match. Buddy needs to lose the falling double knees, they look like they are gonna hurt him way more than his opponent. "Here, you lay here and I'm gonna land with my shins on your shoulders while my knees directly hit the mat or the floor." Sorry, that just doesn't work for me even wrestling-logic wise.

EDIT: Matter of fact, just remembered I was reading while the match was on, looked up to see him hit the knees to the outside, said "well that's stupid" and went back to what I was reading. So it actively had an effect on why I didn't watch the match. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

If you can watch Benoit matches and still enjoy them, good for you, but I don't know why anyone is so eager to burden young wrestlers with Benoit comparisons. Even if it does fit (and I don't think it does), there are comparisons that fit just as well and don't come along with an enormous amount of baggage that could actively hurt the wrestler.

• Thanks 1

The only guy that reminds me of Benoit currently is LA Dojo Young Lion Clark Connors. Who has brought a high level of intensity to his matches during the G1, plus his short stature, and defined physique. Buddy just sort of looks like Benoit because of the teeth, but he doesn’t remind me of Benoit in the ring. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The only guy that reminds me of Benoit currently is LA Dojo Young Lion Clark Connors. Who has brought a high level of intensity to his matches during the G1, plus his short stature, and defined physique. Buddy just sort of looks like Benoit because of the teeth, but he doesn’t remind me of Benoit in the ring. 

Good call there.  Another guy that reminded me of Benoit was Davey Richards.  Poor man's Benoit,  I mean sometimes I'll catch a Benoit match if I'm watching an old show (I don't seek out Benoit matches) and he was just so ridiculously intense but.. great.   Maybe the best in-ring wrestler of the last 25 years. 

Davey came off like a goof, though. I never bought that he was an individual that had a chance against somebody who was 10 inches taller than him, like I did with Benoit. Now that I think about it, Iishi is another Benoit type. No matter the size of the opponent, I can buy that he’s always just as scary as the individual standing in the opposite corner.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Davey came off like a goof, though. I never bought that he was an individual that had a chance against somebody who was 10 inches taller than him, like I did with Benoit. Now that I think about it, Iishi is another Benoit type. No matter the size of the opponent, I can buy that he’s always just as scary as the individual standing in the opposite corner.

I remember some buddies and I were at a Smackdown taping at Mohegan Sun and Benoit got into a scuffle with his shirt off and one of my buddies was like "holy shit how much steroids is this guy on?"  and we all agreed he looked very intimidating despite his height.  Dude was a monster. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I remember some buddies and I were at a Smackdown taping at Mohegan Sun and Benoit got into a scuffle with his shirt off and one of my buddies was like "holy shit how much steroids is this guy on?"  and we all agreed he looked very intimidating despite his height.  Dude was a monster. 

Yes.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I used to work out at the same gym as Chris when he was home. I saw him do things at his size and weight that made me wondering if he was shooting up Captain America serum. I could (and have) told stories...