DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Royal Quest 2019

Archibald

Also known as Suzuki is mad and you are all in trouble. August 31th.

Full card:

Okada/Suzuki for the main title
ZSJ/Tanahashi for RevPro title
Ishii/KENTA for NEVER title
GoD/Aussie Open for tag titles. Technically Aussie Open still hasn't won that tournament in RevPro to determine the challengers, but it is clear as day that they are winning.
Sanada/Naito vs White/Chase
Eagles/Ospreay vs ELP/Ishimori in non-title match
Ibushi/Juice vs Hikuleo/Yujiro
Narita/Umino/Taguchi vs R3K

• Like 2

Early predictions and thoughts:

I think that this is good time for Tanahashi to win RevPro's title. He does not have much to do in NJPW at the moment, it would be a good moment for him in a sense that he'd win a major match in big building in UK. RevPro would probably also get some attention. It would also open up Zack to get something new in NJPW.

KENTA wins this with fuckery and calls out Ibushi for briefcase defence. And another 0 defences NEVER title reign in the can.

GoD obviously win.

Weird that they are not doing jr. tag titles match here. But I have feeling that maybe this match might change after Super J-Cup due to all 4 of them being in the same bracket and most likely meeting each other.

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

KENTA wins this with fuckery and calls out Ibushi for briefcase defence. And another 0 defences NEVER title reign in the can.

You know as bad as that is, the NEVER title is always perfectly in the right spot to be used as a heater belt to get somebody going. Then Iishi’s there to believably win it back. It’s just so hard to not switch it so many times. Plus, not every belt should be held for long periods of time. Then you get the NXT situation of nobody ever losing their belts.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm of opinion that if you are dominant midcard champ then you really shouldn't be a midcard champion in the first place and you should probably be at least a challenger for higher tier belt. So I think that long reigns should never really be in the books for NEVER title, but at the same time it would be cool to get couple of 3-4 defences reigns once in a while.

• Like 3

I'm actually flying to London for this and the two RevPro shows the day before and after. Anyone else from the board going to be there?

The main three matches look pretty nifty. That Ibushi match is a bit of a disappointment, though.

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I kind of want a Zack/MiSu tag reign but then I remembered Zack/Taichi are a slightly better tag team.

What is a Zack/Taichi match you would recommend? I quite liked MiSu/Zack vs. Sanada/EVIL from earlier this year.

5 hours ago, The Z said:

I'm actually flying to London for this and the two RevPro shows the day before and after. Anyone else from the board going to be there?

The main three matches look pretty nifty. That Ibushi match is a bit of a disappointment, though.

Archibald making a reference to this show a couple of weeks ago reminded me that this show existed and I grabbed a couple of tickets , so big thanks to them. I think when the show was announced I couldn't think of anyone who I could go with. Turns out the answer to that question of who would attend pro wrestling with me is my girlfriend who doesn't know what pro wrestling is.

First live wrestling event for me but seeing as I've followed New Japan since 2003 this seems like the time to start sampling the atmos. Not sure how well the main event and Zack's tekkers will translate to the cheap seats I'll be in but needless to say I'm thrilled with the names they're bringing over. Taguchi, Tanahashi and Suzuki were on the first full New Japan show I ever saw!

• Like 3

On 8/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, Eivion said:

What is a Zack/Taichi match you would recommend? I quite liked MiSu/Zack vs. Sanada/EVIL from earlier this year.

The one vs Minoru/Iizuka in WTL last year was awesome.  Fans had a buzz thinking they might get something good and they did.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This annoyingly seemed to have started earlier than advertised on the tickets, so the first two matches were done when I got there, including Ibushi and Juice doing whatever they did

They looked to have done a very good attendance number and the atmosphere was great throughout, though perhaps unavoidably nobody at the back of the floor seats could see anything - I have mostly no idea what the actual quality of work was. Seeing that they treated it like a big show and did some semi-big title changes, I'd definitely spring for a tiered seat if they ran again

During the tag title match Dunkzilla did something in the corner that almost broke my brain at one point, I can certainly tell you that

There was a very long and heartening dueling Aussie OPEN-G.O.D chant, but then everyone booed G.O.D for assisting the hated Kenta later on

I was sort of almost hoping Tana would get a Cena in ECW level reaction, being up against ZSJ, but he was in fact very over. He took the British title that had maybe become a bit of a booking crutch for ZSJ in New Japan, good for RevPro tho I guess

I hit four pints deep during the main and my heart started telling me there was a 20% chance they'd give Suzuki the lifetime achievement award. He's such a fucking hero, so technically sound and brutal but also, mostly from the opposite side, approaches Tana's level on playing to everyone in the arena, projecting his absurd resilience and meanness right out to the cheap seats. The crowd was going fucking nuts when he was almost hitting the piledriver that could never be

• Like 2

Doors opened at 4, scheduled to start at 6. Sat down at about 5:20 and just when I was wondering how I best to kill the remaining time Emerson, Lake and Palmer tickles my fanboy nerve to start the show.

Had a seat to the side of the video wall so there were plenty of segments that consisted to me of people randomly cheering indecipherable Japanese audio. My consolation was a bit of behind the curtain peeking. Seeing performers moving into position before revealing themselves gave a bit of surrogate performance anxiety, and while most provided bonus selling after disappearing off-camera, one of the Bullet Club guys (I think Hikuleo) chose to simply stand and repeatedly crotch chop to fucking nobody.

Hadn't seen Aussie Open before but they looked good. Odd to see Sanada come out for the title challenge after the show, both because that matchup has been done and because he came across as a clear second hand to Naito in the earlier match where they were tagging. Terrific to see everyone get good reactions. Found out quickly I didn't need to explain who the big names were because they come across as such live even from a distance through swag alone. I'm not much of an emoter when watching wrestling, but I was grinning through the main event seeing Minoru Suzuki: Superface geeing up the crowd. Adding to the specialness of the match was the fact that googling for reactions today makes it seem that thanks to same-day competition no one outside the building watched the thing.

I missed the 'if you hate Boris Johnson clap your hands' chant but 'Fuck You Brexit' came across loud and clear. Had a guy behind me contributing entirely appropriate commentary in the form of sweary responses to vicious strikes and a JR style 'stop the damn match' rant about concussions in the middle of KENTA / Ishii (KENTA was out of it for a stretch in the middle, and was hospitalised afterwards). Also fun going with a New Japan newbie who thought the policy was to put the good wrestlers on first, which I think was due to Juice / Ibushi coming across great and Ospreay being their favourite performer of the night. They found ZSJ/Tanahashi 'boring' and was firm in the view that ZSJ didn't know what he was doing and needed more training.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Salads said:

Also fun going with a New Japan newbie who thought the policy was to put the good wrestlers on first, which I think was due to Juice / Ibushi coming across great and Ospreay being their favourite performer of the night. They found ZSJ/Tanahashi 'boring' and was firm in the view that ZSJ didn't know what he was doing and needed more training.

Bury them in the desert.

• Haha 3

Will and Eagles had matching gear, team name and team finisher so it looks like they are going to appear in Super Jr. tag league. What are the chances that they either win it, or tag titles before it, and get into WTL as well? So that Will ends up participating in every NJPW tournament held in 2019?