DVDVR Message Board

UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miočić II (8/17/2019) - Anaheim, CA (Honda Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I thought Stipe was probably up 2-1, but it easily could have been DC up 2-1.

I feel awful for DC, but I'm thrilled for Stipe. Sucks when two of your favorites fight each other.

Stipe is everything you want in a champion though. Got his win back and the championship back, made smart adjustments, and withstood DC's power.

Fuck yeah.

I don't know if I would consider Stipe's fight smart when he took about 2931 awful head strikes before figuring out going to a soft body was smart. For such high level fighters both of those guys have wretched defence but I suppose that's heavyweight for you.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I don't know if I would consider Stipe's fight smart when he took about 2931 awful head strikes before figuring out going to a soft body was smart. For such high level fighters both of those guys have wretched defence but I suppose that's heavyweight for you.

I am not so sure if it was wretched defense or foolish pride.  Both guys seemed hellbent on proving they could withstand the other guy's power and eventually somebody has to lose that exchange..

Edited by J.T.

This is nothing new for either guy though. DC has little head movement and worst yet always backs straight up when in danger. Miocic moves his hands around like you see boxers do... and kind of moves his head side to side very slightly but that's about it.

DC was punching up and leaving himself open, and not landing with a lot of power. I think Stipe realized he could eat it early on. I had a nagging suspicion the knockout in the first fight was a little bit lucky and I think this fight proved it. DC has weird habits, like his overuse of body movement to dodge punches despite possibly having the shortest torso in the division, Stipe just figured him out.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Just my opinion, but I think Stipe was a little wary about getting close to Cormier which is a little perplexing because he got knocked out from the clinch in the first meeting. In the first fight, Stipe was landing that overhand right right on top of DC's noggin. The tide started to turn in this fight because he was using his reach wisely. If Cormier is at arm's length and Stipe is moving, Cormier can't land that hard right hand. He has to almost leap to hit Stipe. I think it worked a little better later in the fight because Cormier had dig into the reserves. Then, right on time, Stipe start digging to the body and constantly moving away not waiting for the receipt. So in that sense, it's smart.

Great night of fights.

Stipe's journey in the main event is kind of an incredible story that you don't see very often. He went from timid guy afraid history would repeat itself, to fuck it let's trade shots, to "hey I can win if I make smart adjustments" and it was pretty fucking awesome to watch.

• Like 2

Dominic Cruz: "Paulo Costa won the first two rounds".

Also Dominic Cruz: "Whoever wins this third round wins the fight". 

If he'd have qualified it by saying Romero stole the second with the late takedown, that's fine. But he didn't, and it made him sound like he either has the memory of a sieve or he doesn't know how maths works.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Dominic Cruz: "Paulo Costa won the first two rounds".

Also Dominic Cruz: "Whoever wins this third round wins the fight". 

If he'd have qualified it by saying Romero stole the second with the late takedown, that's fine. But he didn't, and it made him sound like he either has the memory of a sieve or he doesn't know how maths works.

The unofficial scorecard doesn't mean shit in MMA anyway. In the very first fight of the night between Sabina Mazo and Shana Dobson, you would believe that Mazo was just edging out those rounds listening to the commentary (to be fair to Anik, I think he might have scored at least one 10-8 round if you asked him). In actuality, if you scored that fight 30-24 Mazo like one judge actually did, it wouldn't be a bad scorecard. So by the time they got to a fight that actually mattered more and was an absolutely insane fight, they're going to be all over the place. The emotion is going to be on eleven. Inconsistent things will be said. Hyperbole will be rampant. The best commentary of the night is going be the fights where something actually stands out like when referee (and former NHB fighter from a bygone era) George Allen stood up Kyung Ho Kang from side control. They (Dom and Rogan) got all over him on that, but then immediately Kang got another takedown right into side control and just kinda laid there. Rogan pivoted right into "well, if he isn't doing anything maybe....". I mean they tried have a nuanced discussion about whether or not a fighter can just be completely inactive if he has a dominant position on the ground. Then, Allen told Davis who was on the bottom that it was on Davis to get himself up if he wanted the fight to be stood up. So they got on that.

On a fight to fight basis, the commentary is going to be a mixed bag.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Notable wins by Stipe Miocic:

Daniel Cormier, TKO.

Francis Ngannou, DEC

Junior dos Santos, TKO.

Alistair Overeem, TKO.

Fabricio Werdum, TKO.

Andrei Arlovski, TKO.

Mark Hunt, TKO.

Roy Nelson, TKO.

Stipe Miocic also holds the record for most consecutive UFC Heavyweight Championship defenses with three.