DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Banks Making A Statement - 8/12/19

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Is that really representative of the fan base overall? I know a couple people here seem to be obsessed with that stuff. But it's not a driving force behind what makes it on screen.

You have a point. Every conversation about Alexa and/or Sasha here breaks down along those broad strokes, so I may be projecting.

I think a big  problem with Sasha and a number of other wrestlers is they grew up wanting to be this so much, so their passion clouds their understanding the business side of show business. Money and miles, that's what it's about. I'm all for wanting to put on great matches and striving to be the best. But anyone who signs with WWE knows what they're getting into. Vince's methods aren't a secret. Sasha saw her career through the prism of NXT and thought it would always be that way. When it wasn't, she got upset. While some of her frustration is valid, walking away for months while under contract seems wrong. But hey, she's in a top story right out of the gate, so maybe she has the right idea. 

But again, I look at all the other women who get NOTHING and wonder how they feel about this. By all accounts, this is the best locker room WWE has ever had in terms of wrestlers getting along. But you have someone who says she wants to promote women's wrestling, be a leader. Is her recent behavior setting a good example? Sasha looked out for herself. That's fine and expected. I hope she and her diehard fans realize how she may be perceived as arrogant and self-absorbed. Some of what's thrown at her isn't fair and is based on factors I won't discuss as to avoid getting political. But there is room for honest criticism.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

When discussing Sasha Banks, using these phrases has about the same effect as typing 'SJW' or 'Nazi'* does in a discussion of politics. It's not that it completely invalidates everything else you say, not exactly. But it takes everyone who is even slightly inclined to disagree with you right out of the 'Maybe they have some good points' camp, and puts them right into the 'They're either trolling for lolz or have an irrational blind hatred of Sasha and can't be reasoned with' camp. Encourages them to either disengage, or go straight to all out war mode.

Fair enough - I'll edit my post to substitute the terms "that face Sasha regularly makes on television when she's entering a match that she is booked to lose" and "made a decision not to honor her contract," and then maybe you'll feel inclined to engage with the points I was making. If not, that's fine too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

But again, I look at all the other women who get NOTHING and wonder how they feel about this. 

It seems like a close locker room to me and they've all been supportive of her time away.  Not just Bayley but Naomi,  Nattie,  Liv Morgan,  Peyton Royce, the Bella twins.  They are all friends and supportive of each other and it's not kept a secret on these social media platforms.   It seems like Alexa and Nia Jax and maybe a couple others have their own thing too.  I'm not saying it's a divided locker room at all but as a leader in that room, Sasha already has their respect and they all supported her decision.  

The thing about this "booboo" face is that it's not something that is provable..  at all. Is it?  To prove what someone is thinking?  I brought up the Kabuki Warriors the other day and I noticed the people who like to use the term did not reply to what I said and for good reason,  it would not help their narrative if they did.   Alvarez likes to throw the term around.  He said both Asuka and Kairi had the "booboo" face this past week and looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but to be jobbing to Alexa and Nikki.  

Was he right? I don't know, I didn't notice it but it's not Sasha so the same few who like to toss that term around have stayed quiet on it with Kairi and Asuka. 

Then Alvarez went into a rant about Vince's preference for white blonde women (he was stating it as fact) and I laughed because people act like that's not a thing anywhere but here.  It's been widely discussed across the entire internet wrestling community I'm sure. 

I don't have a strong opinion on the Sasha situation, but tbh I'd never have noticed said facial expression if it wasn't brought up here. Even then, I've never bothered going back to look at specific matches. People emote in different ways and there's no way to be certain if her expression was tied to knowing she was going to job or what. If she'd gone out and totally half-assed it that would be another story.

• Thanks 1

I always dislike when people try to read “body language” in real sports, especially on sports talk radio, so I’d say this applies to worked sports too. Seems like people used to say the same thing about Shawn (maybe Bret too) when they were going to lose a belt. 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I always dislike when people try to read “body language” in real sports, especially on sports talk radio, so I’d say this applies to worked sports too. Seems like people used to say the same thing about Shawn (maybe Bret too) when they were going to lose a belt. 

Well Shawn’s you couldn’t ignore. Guy was high as Superman.

hbkwcw1.jpg

• Haha 1

The Sasha boo-boo face is about as real as Nikki Bella boo-boo face: Not at all.

I’m sure I’ve used the phrase though. But I’m mostly referring to her insistence on copping an attitude and acting entitled. Which makes her no different than the Revival, Punk, Bret, and so on. Which will work better as a heel, because as a face it’s annoying as all hell.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

"made a decision not to honor her contract,"

As an independent contractor, she has the right to refuse bookings, doesn't she?

• Like 3

I feel like the Alexa vs Sasha thing, while I understand why people do it because of the alleged real life animosity, is odd as they bring rather different things to the table. What became clear early in the women's (r)evolution is that most of them weren't particularly comfortable or good on the mic at the time (Becky showed flashes, Charlotte topped out at above average), which basically created a huge opportunity for Alexa as she was legit strong at it. She made the most of it and brought much more personality to the proceedings, so good on her. Eventually Becky stumbled upon something that worked and Charlotte improved herself and hence Alexa became less essential, so she got featured less prominently.

Sasha in contrast is mostly an in-ring worker who was mostly iffy on the mic her entire main roster run, although if we are generous it is possible she's been miscast as a face for most of said run. I don't think she's been blowaway in-ring but she's still one of the better in-ring ladies they had. In truth I think her biggest problem was being attached at the hip to Bayley for over a year as I think that took any kind of edge off of the Sasha character, and her effort in wins and losses was... somewhat different if overstated. Now she is away from Bayley, is no longer a face and should be trying to prove a point in-ring so I'm excited to see what she does.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You could tell when Shawn was going to lose a belt by the career threatening injury he'd suffer before the match, and the surgery and months of rehab he'd miraculously not need once he'd got out losing it in the ring.

• Like 4