DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Banks Making A Statement - 8/12/19

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Alvarez and Melter suck. Don’t they understand that someone coming out as a baby face is part of a heel’s evil plot? 

As far as the audience: There is a huge segment of the crowd that are fans of heels. And Nattie can be really irritating as a face. She has her strengths but evoking sympathy via promos is not one of them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

My main now from highlights from Raw is every time someone returns and Cole says “Could it be!? It is!” I feel a little bit more of my soul escape to the dark dimension.

Better watch out. You might get replaced by your blue-haired doppelganger is that keeps up.

And because Niners snuck in, the issue isn't the hair color so much as it was the pro wrestling trope of a reveal. This was like Hogan pulling the mask of Beefcake in 94, but instead pulling off a wig to reveal the same person with a different hair color. (I actually think if she kept the Blonde hair from earlier in the week that would have had more symbolic value). 

That's probably a bad example because it's not iconic. It just came off as really weird to me, because it felt like it was a "reveal" due to conditioned pro wrestling tropes, but it really wasn't. 

Edited by Matt D

16 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

My main now from highlights from Raw is every time someone returns and Cole says “Could it be!? It is!” I feel a little bit more of my soul escape to the dark dimension.

I feel that too whenever Cole says, "he's in the drop zone!" or "it's BOSS TIME!" or any of the other crap he repeats constantly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's like asking why did John Cena change his shirt from vomit orange to vomit green.  They wanted to sell a new shirt. Maybe there's some other reason behind it but it's likely let's sell some shirts, let's sell some Barbie dolls with blue hair,  etc.  

And @Morganti makes a good point,   orange does contrast with the blue and when they are together in the ring it will be like Florida Gators colors so that's awesome. 

No, Blue hair is inherently evil. Bull Nakano, blue hair, evil. Leva Bates, blue hair, evil. Kiera Hogan, red haired babyface. Turns heel, hair turns blue. Coincidence? I think not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

No, Blue hair is inherently evil. Bull Nakano, blue hair, evil. Leva Bates, blue hair, evil. Kiera Hogan, red haired babyface. Turns heel, hair turns blue. Coincidence? I think not.

Cobra shot blue lasers, GI Joe shot red ones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

KOTR is going to be spread out over multiple weeks instead of doing the right thing and making it a one night tournament, isn't it?

Dave Meltzer reports that King of the Ring will be a multi-week tournament on both Raw and SmackDown. The finals will take place at next month's Clash of Champions pay-per-view.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I feel that too whenever Cole says, "he's in the drop zone!" or "it's BOSS TIME!" or any of the other crap he repeats constantly.

Was it Jim Ross who started the "Commentators have catchphrases too" concept? Because it spread through WWE like Japanese knotweed. Admittedly, I did think that Tazz yelling Here Comes The Pain whenever Lesnar's music hit helped get Brock over. But other than that.... Booker T took it so far people made a bingo card of all his sayings. That should have been a clue to the industry to try to settle things down a bit. But it wasn't.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Was it Jim Ross who started the "Commentators have catchphrases too" concept? Because it spread through WWE like Japanese knotweed. Admittedly, I did think that Tazz yelling Here Comes The Pain whenever Lesnar's music hit helped get Brock over. But other than that.... Booker T took it so far people made a bingo card of all his sayings. That should have been a clue to the industry to try to settle things down a bit. But it wasn't.

Excuse, but it's "WELP! Here comes the pain!" You gotta have that "welp" in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

She has her strengths but evoking sympathy via promos is not one of them.

Yep. Doesn’t help that she usually looks like she’s about to laugh while cutting a promo. Or that the script about her actually dead father was full of clichés.

In fairness to Nattie, I can’t think of anyone who’s evoked even a hint of sympathy delivering a WWE written promo in years. Hell, I’m struggling to come up with a recent sympathetic in-ring performance from the main roster, from the company that “makes movies.”

58 minutes ago, AxB said:

Kiera Hogan, red haired babyface. Turns heel, hair turns blue.

I had no idea she did that (am still way behind on the show) but that's a pretty neat move to further establish her heel turn.

Just finished the first hour but this version of Dolph is my favorite.  Short matches, claiming it's just a flesh wound (love Monty Python) and getting beat up some more.  This has Heyman's fingerprints all over it and I love it.

When Matt Bloom changed from Albert to A-Train, once when he did his entrance Tazz said "Welp, here comes the Train". He never said it again so presumably he got screamed at.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wait it was "Welp" not 'Well"?  ?

Hmmm...I don't want to go back and verify. I'm just going to believe I know for sure he once said welp so surely he said it that way every time ?