DVDVR Message Board

UFC 166: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos III (10/19/2013) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

It was a flawless strategy by Cain to push JDS against the cage and he was landing on a regular basis so it's not like Cain was just simply hugging JDS against the fence ala Randy Couture, he was doing actual damage to JDS with not allowing JDS to open up on any of his own strikes.  It wasn't Diego vs. Gil but by no means was it "the drizzling shits" or anything like that, it was a good title fight.

• Like 1

Gil/Diego = FOTY. Cormier ugh. Hector...DAMN. JDS really dosen't like putting his hands up, but great takedown defense. Cain by far the best in the divison. Kaufman/- Screwed. Texas Athletic Commish/Judges - HORRIBLE

I'm a Boetschamaniac, but I haven't the foggiest how you score him winning all three rounds.  I was praying for a draw. 

I'm a fan of both DC and Cain, but a bit less so now given their grind-against-the-cage style.  DC in particular needs to get a strong finish on somebody at 205 if he wants to build a money match against Bones.

Sanchez - Melendez easily fight of the year. Was worried for Diego's health after the fight since he sounded badly punch drunk in the post-fight interview with rogan but good to see that he sounded normal in the post-fight presser.

And holy heck both jds and Cain looked like they had been in a car wreck.

Well given the trend in the last couple years Gilbert's next opponent is going to Diego Sanchez again.

By the way, if Cain hits like a girl than JDS better not hang out any Brazilian women soccer teams soon or we may never hear from his again

So I believe that Cain next challenger will be Verdum which given how weak the division is that is probably the only guy left unless Cormier stops talking about friendship and goes for titles.

Why is it surprising? Rock Em Sock Ems have always been the most popular fights. Not to mentiont his was all Gil for 2 and 1/2 rounds, Sanchez hits an uppercut of doom. The crowd, everything. It was awesome. 

I can't believe people are going this crazy for a JUST BLEED rock and sock 'em fight that was Melendez vs Sanchez. In 2013.

Uh, the top FOTY candidate before this was Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann.

Jones vs. Gustafsson?

And the person concerned about Diego after the fight, he always talks like that, doesn't he?

Thoughts from the live show:

Crowd was 90% Velasquez.  Lots of Mexican flags, chants of "Si Se Puede!"  But even (an essentially) hometown crowd started booing him for his push him against the fence, two-inch punches and knees to the leg strategy.  In the first two rounds, even though Cain was volume punching and kneeing, every time JDS hit something it looked like it hurt Cain, and not vice versa.  Of course, everything changed when Cain knocked him down.  Then it turned into survival and desperation haymakers.  No idea what the doctors were looking at when they were looking at JDS.  One eye was completely closed, and the other was being bled into.  How Dos Santos survived past the third I have no idea. 

Cain Velasquez is the lovechild of Tim Sylvia and Nick Diaz.  Not sure if that's a good thing.

Cormier and Velasquez have pretty much the exact same game.  It's not terribly exciting, but it's effective.  Roy Nelson has a hell of a chin.

Melendez/Sanchez was great.  Live, I couldn't tell that in those rock'em sock'em exchanges that Diego wasn't hitting anything, but that's why we go to fights.  We want to see them trade bombs.  Crowd really, really wanted to support Gilbert, but the way the fight was, they turned in the 2nd for Diego.  Diego's uppercut in the third brought the entire house to their feet, and then his subsequent submission attempts.  Was insane to watch live.  I don't think I've ever seen a better fight in my life.  Crowd really wanted Diego to win, but it was the right decision -- except for whatever judge gave Gil the third round.  WTF?

Gonzaga's KO was awesome, but not nearly as awesome as Dodson making that guy do a flair flop.  The thing about Dodson -- even when the camera's not on him, he was doing that dance the whole damn night. 

We got there a little late (Yay Houston traffic and parking!) and so we only saw the end of the Kaufmann fight, so I can't really comment other than Kaufmann pretty clearly won that last round.

And fuck CB Dollaway.  What the hell was with those eye pokes?  We all wanted Boetsch to annihilate him after the second one.

Fantastic night of fights.  We had a blast.  Toyota Center is one of the nicest venues (basketball arena) I've been to.  Parking sucks, but that's Houston. 

I'm a Boetschamaniac, but I haven't the foggiest how you score him winning all three rounds.  I was praying for a draw. 

Considering what the judges had to work with it was probably a draw with Boetsch winning the second round. There is no way that he won the first round when Dollaway took him apart. That said considering how balatant the first eye poke (accidental my ass) was that should have either been a DQ win for Boetsch or at least two points deduction for Dollaway.

Bunch of whiny haters.

Truthfully I don't hate Cain. He does what he needs to do to win fights and i get that. What I hate is the fact that the way he fights is good enough to win him championship fights. It's sad that the division is bad enough that a guy can continually win fights by just holding his opponent against the cage and have sloppy standup and no diversity. JDS is worlds better in terms of skill in my opinion but his footwork is shit and the guy just can't move fast enough to neutralize Cain's plodding forward. As Cain continually moves forward with that pressure you have to be able to move quickly and circle away. JDS can't do that shit. He's just going to slowly move around the cage and pick his opponent apart with strikes but you can't always do that if your opponent is continually on top of you and you don't have an answer for how to get away. Basically Junior has time to throw about two punches before Cain closes the distance and if they don't land clean then he's up against the cage. It's not a pleasing style to watch for sure.

I think a lot of people don't like the mixed part of mixed martial arts.  If you're not good enough to get off of the side of the cage it's your fault not your opponents.  It's not as if Cain was merely hugging JDS afraid if he actually separated at all he would be giving up the position.  Cain landed a lot of big shots from that position and bloodied JDS up badly, that's not like it was an unskilled talent.  This isn't ultimate kick boxing, wrestling and BJJ are a part of the sport and you should learn to accept that fact.

Bunch of whiny haters.

Truthfully I don't hate Cain. He does what he needs to do to win fights and i get that. What I hate is the fact that the way he fights is good enough to win him championship fights. It's sad that the division is bad enough that a guy can continually win fights by just holding his opponent against the cage and have sloppy standup and no diversity. JDS is worlds better in terms of skill in my opinion but his footwork is shit and the guy just can't move fast enough to neutralize Cain's plodding forward. As Cain continually moves forward with that pressure you have to be able to move quickly and circle away. JDS can't do that shit. He's just going to slowly move around the cage and pick his opponent apart with strikes but you can't always do that if your opponent is continually on top of you and you don't have an answer for how to get away. Basically Junior has time to throw about two punches before Cain closes the distance and if they don't land clean then he's up against the cage. It's not a pleasing style to watch for sure.

It's hard to tell how someone actually feels about anything from a message board, but your comments have certainly colored you as someone who isn't anywhere close to being a fan of Cain's, which is fine, but in addition to that, you aren't able to appreciate how skilled of a fighter he is. I think your feelings toward him then color the state of the division itself. Cain has beaten JDS twice now. In what world can you say that JDS' skill level is, umm, worlds better than Cain's? JDS had Cain's number that first fight and did everything you said was a detriment to JDS in your comments above. What's changed is that Cain adjusted and came back a much better fighter. Since the loss, he KO'd Silva in the first round, decisioned JDS, KO'd Silva in the first round, and then KO'd JDS in the fifth round (and he nearly put his lights out in the third).

After this fight, Cain has to worry about Browne, Werdum, Barnett, and a Miocic who is a couple fights away. You make it sound like the HW division is weak or unable to deal with someone like Cain all because Cain was the better fighter against JDS on two separate occasions. 

And I get it, you don't like Cain's fighting style, but it's part of the fight game. I mean, what do you want him to do, try to take on a style that will be a detriment to him? That way I see it, nothing he is doing is illegal or something that no fighter can prepare for. After their last fight, if JDS couldn't prepare himself to fight the Terminator, then that's on him.

That was one of the best UFC pay per views of all time, and people are complaining about it.  We got an all time great slugfest, a Flair flop, and 4 of the top 10 heavyweights in world separating the wheat from the chaff.  I don't know what people are complaining about.  Cain Velasquez is the best heavyweight mixed martial artist on the planet and he just put the beats to the second best heavyweight for 25 minutes.  I don't know what people want him to do.  Is he supposed to fight in a way that isn't conducive to his winning?  His job is to win fights, and he is damned good at it, and I personally didn't find his fight or the Cormier fight boring.  They were two guys who used their skills, which happen to be wrestling and boxing in the clinch, to dominate their opponents.  Isn't that what the sport is about?  If they decided to stand toe to toe and box they would have lost, so like smart people they didn't stand there and box.  It was the exact strategy they needed to win, whether or not you like it is irrelevant.

yes, it was absolutely one of the best top to bottom ufc cards, no doubt.

the argument was never if Cain is one of the top heavyweights or if he won the fight. the topic on hand is his style in this fight. yes, he did what he had to do to win the fight. and yes, he dominated the #2 guy for 20+ minutes. it just wasn't terribly exciting. i think had it not followed the charisma vacuum that is a Cormier fight against a guy who has become one dimensional, it would've been received better.

and i don't know how you didn't find the Cormier fight boring. i envy you in that regard, because that fight was very by-the-numbers and after the first minute there was no drama and no question what was going to happen.

• Like 1