DVDVR Message Board

UFC 166: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos III (10/19/2013) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Cormier *claims* he's going to 205 win or lose after the Nelson fight.

Where is rimz when you need him to educate us on how Cormier nearly died the last time he tried losing that much weight.

Makes sense, though. If Cormier doesn't lose a step and maintains his speed, or actually improves, I could see him giving Jones fits.

Velasquez being a black belt is fucking hilarious. He looks clueless on the ground. And by clueless i mean exactly the same as he did in his first fights in the ufc.

Didn't someone recently, or maybe in the last year or two, receive their black belt the day before or day of their fight and then get tapped by a fighter with a much lower level belt? Was it Bendo getting tapped by Pettis? I keep wanting to think it was Rashad that this happened to, but I'm not sure if that's right.

You're probably thinking Benson because Rashad has never lost by submission. Also, he got his black belt three months before he lost to Pettis at UFC 164.

Benson is a black belt who was submitted by a blue belt, Pettis.

Nah. If Barnett gets past Browne, I think Barnett winds up being next in line. They could always shoot Cormier up to the top, but beating Nelson seems like low hanging fruit.

what happened to Werdum getting the next shot? that's what i heard after he beat Big Nog, and haven't heard anything since.

With Jones/Glover not being able to headline the SB card, I am sure UFC is hoping that the winner of this fight can get through unscathed so they can defend against Werdum on that card, it's their best option for that card.  Actually considering when all of the other title fights take place it might be their only chance at getting a title fight on that card.

Apparently, Roy Nelson had a very crappy camp. Jeff Mayweather wasn't available for this camp because of health issues. Also, King Mo and Ryan Martinez weren't available to train with for this camp because Cormier and Mo are close buddies. Roy is going to get beat the fuck up if he already wasn't before.

Velasquez being a black belt is fucking hilarious. He looks clueless on the ground. And by clueless i mean exactly the same as he did in his first fights in the ufc.

Didn't someone recently, or maybe in the last year or two, receive their black belt the day before or day of their fight and then get tapped by a fighter with a much lower level belt? Was it Bendo getting tapped by Pettis? I keep wanting to think it was Rashad that this happened to, but I'm not sure if that's right.

You're probably thinking Benson because Rashad has never lost by submission. Also, he got his black belt three months before he lost to Pettis at UFC 164.

This. 

Mr. Miyagi said that the true function of a belt is to keep your pants from falling down.  He was right.

This. 

Mr. Miyagi said that the true function of a belt is to keep your pants from falling down.  He was right.

Honestly, I think the question is, who gave you your black belt? My instructors; Matt & Nick Serra received their black belts from Renzo Gracie, they are legitimate black belts in BJJ. The same as those who have received black belts from Matt & Nick. It's not simply the belt, it's the lineage and I think people lose sight of that.

This. 

Honestly, I think the question is, who gave you your black belt? My instructors; Matt & Nick Serra received their black belts from Renzo Gracie, they are legitimate black belts in BJJ. The same as those who have received black belts from Matt & Nick. It's not simply the belt, it's the lineage and I think people lose sight of that.

My belt was made by Dolce and Gabbana and the keys I carry in my pocket will have your eye out long before you sub me

• Like 2

probably because his tactic tonight of "push him up against the cage" wasn't fun to watch. And after another snoozefest from DC, i would've appreciated a little more excitement.  good on him for defending his belt tho.

overall an awesome night of fights. Diego/Melendez was awesome, Gonzaga winning via 1st rd TKO is always sweet, and good god did Amagov bring the KO. Also loved Montague doing a bit of a Flair Flop.

how'd everyone see the Boetsch/Dolloway fight? we thought it was clearly a CB victory, but admittedly weren't paying the closest attention

My takeaway from that fight was I was more impressed by how much heart JDS displayed than anything else, including Cain.Cain did what he was supposed to do, though.

OMG they're going to remake JDS vs. Overeem if Alistair beats Mir. That's totally like the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of heart and chin.

Why are you guys hating on Cain?  He's the one that beat JDS twice and finished him this time.  

ANTI BROWN PRIDE