DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

I think Mike Mussina is getting fucked a bit by his placement under None of the Above in group 2. He didn't make my final 10, but I thought he'd have more support than 5 votes.

Well again Lethal forget him in the initial poll and I didnt notice it till after my first edit.

I love Moose as a Yankee but the guy getting fucked by all of you is Tim Raines

He forgot to put him in the original poll, so it's kind of skewed.

Edit: Phil just beat me to it. LIKE HE DOES EVERYTHING IN LIFE. Mostly having one.

I think Mike Mussina is getting fucked a bit by his placement under None of the Above in group 2. He didn't make my final 10, but I thought he'd have more support than 5 votes.

Well again Lethal forget him in the initial poll and I didnt notice it till after my first edit.

I again posit that Raines is in fact getting fucked by the Artificial Scarcity caused by the BBWAA's "maximum of 10" rule that we are simulating.  When I talked about seeing more than 10 Hall Worthy Names he is absolutely one of the guys I was thinking about.

There should be no question that Glavine has a better case than Palmeiro.  Glavine is a no-brainer first ballot HOF'er.  2 Cy Youngs, 5 20-win seaons, and 300+ career wins.  I can't fathom NOT voting for him. 

Even in the context of his times, Palmeiro's numbers stood out.  There simply aren't many guys who put up 38/100 for nine straight seasons.  And even in the steroid era, 38/100 were good numbers.

Of course, I'm the guy that thinks Albert Belle belongs in the HOF.

He does. Belle's career was short, but his numbers are scary.

Folks don't recall just how good Raines was. The sad thing is he gets compared to Rickey Henderson and comes up short. That's like comparing Jimmie Foxx to Babe Ruth and saying he doesn't belong in.

Somebody voted for Richie fucking Sexson? Rippa, I call for this person to be banned for trolling stat!

To be fair - that might have been before I added the NONE OF THE ABOVE option. So they needed to pick someone to make their vote go through

Hideo Nomo: NL Rookie of the Year, two no-hitters (including the only one ever at Coors, which counts for diddly), first Japanese player to have sustained success in America. That's a perfectly fine career. Sexson was just another high strikeout home run hitter in an era full of high strikeout home run hitters, with the added benefit that he also stole $50 million from the Mariners.

Hideo Nomo: NL Rookie of the Year, two no-hitters (including the only one ever at Coors, which counts for diddly), first Japanese player to have sustained success in America. That's a perfectly fine career. Sexson was just another high strikeout home run hitter in an era full of high strikeout home run hitters, with the added benefit that he also stole $50 million from the Mariners.

I voted for none of the above, so I have no real dog in the fight, but 300 hrs and 900 RBI's is a better case than 123-109 with a 4.24 era. Neither should get into the hall of fame without a ticket of course, and any writer who wastes a vote on them should have their ballot stricken. . .

I voted for none of the above, so I have no real dog in the fight, but 300 hrs and 900 RBI's is a better case than 123-109 with a 4.24 era. Neither should get into the hall of fame without a ticket of course, and any writer who wastes a vote on them should have their ballot stricken. . .

Exactly. Just as any writer who DOESN'T vote for Barry Bonds should have their voting privileges rescinded. 

I would say Nomo has something resembbling an argument based just on the "influence o the game" routine. Not saying I'd vote for him, but it has more substance then any Richie Sexson argument.

And how, pray tell did he influence the game? I hope you aren't going to say first Japanese player in the majors, because Mashi Murakami will call to say "Hello!"

That was Chan Ho Park.

ALL ASIANS DON'T LOOK ALIKE, PHIL.

I was halfway home from work when I suddenly realized what I said and I was like FUCK! THAT WAS CHAN HO PARK!

Then I made several ALL LOOK SAME~! jokes to myself

I am a terrible person