DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

Keep in mind private voters who don't release there ballot tend to be "traditionalists" They tend to be Anti-Steroids, Anti-DH, and Anti-Sabremetrics.

Martinez, Bonds, and Clemens percentage will probably fall. The question is how much will Edgar fall.

Also, I really like Jim Thome as a player, but I am pretty unconvinced he was a better player then Scott Rolen was.

I still don't understand the people who vote Clemens but not Bonds (there is at least one in the released ballots)

Because it is either a case where you are only applying the PED standard to one and not the other.

OR

You only think one is a Hall of Famer

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

He was definitely a better and more valuable player than Rolen. 

Scott Rolen- 70.1 career WAR

Jim Thome- 68.9 career WAR

Basically, Thome was certainly a better hitter over the course of his career, but Rolen was an incredible defensive 3B on top it. Rolen is basically the new Ron Santo: clearly HOF worthy 3B who is gonna have a hard time getting in because people don't know how to properly evaluate 3B's.

56 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

You ever heard of the "paper bag test"?

While Clemens could be a prick Bonds was like 10x worse. As a kid I went to sporting events constantly and the three biggest total assholes I ever had the misfortune of meeting are Bonds, Keyshawn Johnson and Mark Messier. They were the polar opposite of say Tim Raines, Wesley Walker or Guy Lefleur. It may not be fair but I bet that's why some are withholding their votes.

• 2 weeks later...

Willie McCovey is a wise man and has always been a class act. Joe Morgan has always been an asshat and is just possibly the most obnoxious 2nd baseman in the HOF and that's saying something when your peers are Sandberg, Hornsby, and Alomar. 

Edited by RIPPA
What the Fuck?

21 hours ago, OSJ said:

Willie McCovey is a wise man and has always been a class act. Joe Morgan has always been an asshat and is just possibly the most obnoxious 2nd baseman in the HOF and that's saying something when your peers are Sandberg, Hornsby, and Alomar. 

Ryno was always nice to me as a kid seeking autographs at Shea and was always willing to sign so I'm going to stick up for him here.

Tabe continues to be literally the only person I know of that has anything bad to say about Ryno. For Christ's sake, Ryno leaves his address out and open so you can send him whatever stuff you want him to sign and $20. Sandberg will then sign your stuff, send it back to you, and donate the $20 to charity. He recently signed a vintage ASG hat from when the game was at Wrigley for me along with a regular old baseball.

When he was a minor league manager, he stayed well after the game to sign jerseys, baseballs, and whatever else for anyone who stuck around. He didn't bitch or moan and was pleasant to everyone. I know because I was there.

Dude has always been a class act.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Tabe continues to be literally the only person I know of that has anything bad to say about Ryno. For Christ's sake, Ryno leaves his address out and open so you can send him whatever stuff you want him to sign and $20. Sandberg will then sign your stuff, send it back to you, and donate the $20 to charity. He recently signed a vintage ASG hat from when the game was at Wrigley for me along with a regular old baseball.

When he was a minor league manager, he stayed well after the game to sign jerseys, baseballs, and whatever else for anyone who stuck around. He didn't bitch or moan and was pleasant to everyone. I know because I was there.

Dude has always been a class act.

That is great and all, but if you can't go back to your hometown I have all the questions about you as a human being.  People will always root for the hometown boy, see Barry Bonds, and his hometown seems to hate him.  That ain't nothing.