DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers not fitting in an era...

TerjeRUN

Chris Masters would've fit in well in late 80's, early 90's as either an upper card face or heel. Even as a rookie the guy showed promise, and he became one of the better guys in the WWE before getting released. His physique hinders him in the current boo steroids enviroment, but would have gotten him over with a large portion of the audience in that era. When the time came for the steroid scandal, he could've easily slimmed down and remained on the roster for quite a while, because he could work well with a lot of the talent they had in those days. 

I've always thought Dolph Ziggler would've been a great traveling NWA world champ. A guy who could go 45+ minutes a night and make your territories' top guy look like a million dollars before sneaking out of town w the title. 

• Like 1

I would say modern C.M. Punk. Everything he has done since leaving the ECW reincarnation and moving to the main roster feels like old school NWA to me. The Straight Edge Society & his heel stuff with Paul Heyman especially. His babyface run against Brock too, really.

I just love how Backlund uses and misuses words as if he's barely maintaining his composure. I'm sure I've seen some promos of his before that turn, but I can't remember a single one of them.

The idea originally (as best I recall) was he was 'possessed' by Papa Shango and that idea got axed so they just changed it to him being fucking nuts.

This might seem sort of crazy to some, but I could see Shane Douglas working out well in JCP. Douglas vs. Arn would have probably been great.

Conversely, I also often think about what it would have been like if Flair somehow ended up in Funk's role in ECW. I was actually thinking about it the other day because his WWECW match with Show had come up here in another thread. He would have probably come in as a heel because of his association with WCW (unless he spent his first promo trash talking them, or a heel Cactus Jack makes him a de facto face). I mention Foley there because it would've been a built in feud with with him and others over their supposed treatment in WCW when Flair was booker (which is something that would've of course only worked in ECW at that time). Flair also had some good matches Eddy in WCW-- imagine how cool it would've been if they took place at the arena

Douglas vs. Arn would have probably been great.

They wrestled for the TV Title in 1990 and it was great. He actually was in JCP briefly after the UWF buyout. But they did not do much with him, like most of the UWF roster. I'm wondering if any UWF guy was better off post buy out. Even Doc was never used well, until he joined the Varsity Club in late 1988. 

Put John Cena in Sting's position and Sting in John Cena's position, and you'd have very similar careers/fan reactions. 

A 2009 Cena/1992 Vader strap match would be awesome.

prime Sting vs Umaga would also have ruled things.

This. I've also wondered what would be like if Cena had been in Bret Hart's place around 1992, about to be elevated to main event status. He would have pulled it off and surely people would have taken him as the 90's Hogan.

They wrestled for the TV Title in 1990 and it was great. He actually was in JCP briefly after the UWF buyout. But they did not do much with him, like most of the UWF roster. I'm wondering if any UWF guy was better off post buy out. Even Doc was never used well, until he joined the Varsity Club in late 1988. 

My knee-jerk reaction is to say Rick Steiner, but I guess he might fall into the same category of not being used well for a period.

As far as the Douglas thing, I was thinking way, way earlier than 1990, but I'm still going to check that Arn match out. Thanks for the tip on that

Funny enough, there was an article in SI.com last week about hockey goons being detrimental to teams as sabrmetrics makes its way into the NHL. So, The Goon would be out of place too.

As far as wrestlers not fitting an era, I think Brad Armstrong is/was misplaced in 1990s WCW, especially now with workers his size making it big like Bryan and Punk. Hell, Brad Armstrong as Dolph Ziggler now would be infinitely better than Dolph Ziggler. 

Cowboy boot wearin' rough house Husky Harris would have been SO bad ass (and even overcome the name Husky) in ANY era other than 21st century WWE.

I've always wondered why Trevor Murdoch didn't get more over. Maybe it's kind of the same effect.

They wrestled for the TV Title in 1990 and it was great. He actually was in JCP briefly after the UWF buyout. But they did not do much with him, like most of the UWF roster. I'm wondering if any UWF guy was better off post buy out. Even Doc was never used well, until he joined the Varsity Club in late 1988.
Sting did alright.
  • Like 1

I find wrestlers with over the top character gimmicks seem out of place in today's WWE.  Most of the major stars are all playing a fictional version of themselves. (Cena, HHH, Bryan, Big Show, etc.) So when an ADR, Sandow, or Wyatt family play up their characters it comes off as a little hokey and out of place and the audience picks up on it.

My favorite example of this is when ADR was inserted into the Cena/Punk feud in late 2011. You have these two guys, basically playing themselves, representing the two different wwe fan bases. Then you have ADR coming out in his expensive cars whose claim to fame is he's a wealthy Mexican businessman. It didn't fit.

A more recent example is last Friday night on smackdown when the Rhodes faces off against the Wyatts. The Rhodes are playing themselves. The Wyatts are wrestlers playing characters. It didn't fit.

I find wrestlers with over the top character gimmicks seem out of place in today's WWE.  Most of the major stars are all playing a fictional version of themselves. (Cena, HHH, Bryan, Big Show, etc.) So when an ADR, Sandow, or Wyatt family play up their characters it comes off as a little hokey and out of place and the audience picks up on it. My favorite example of this is when ADR was inserted into the Cena/Punk feud in late 2011. You have these two guys, basically playing themselves, representing the two different wwe fan bases. Then you have ADR coming out in his expensive cars whose claim to fame is he's a wealthy Mexican businessman. It didn't fit. A more recent example is last Friday night on smackdown when the Rhodes faces off against the Wyatts. The Rhodes are playing themselves. The Wyatts are wrestlers playing characters. It didn't fit.

Where would the Shield fit in on this scale?