DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers not fitting in an era...

TerjeRUN

Was reading in Power Slam magazine how one of the writers feels Christian looks out of place in WWE, 2013, which I have to agree with. There was a time from around 2004 - 2006 he was fresh, charismatic and was a poster bot of those years. His 1999 - 2001 work with Edge was sublime, obviously. But today there is something fish out of water about the guy. I agree. 

Got me thinking about how when Shawn Michaels returned, there was something a bit odd about seeing him wrestling random matches on Raw in 2003, it took him a little while to find his position, in my eyes. Mr Perfect wrestling in 2002 was again, a little out of place. 

What comes to your mind? 

Current Christian would fit better in early 90's WWF when they had all those aging vets in the midcard.

I feel that a lot of TNA's X Division seem out of place in 2013. The style is so early 2000's indy that it seems archaic now. There was a match a month or so ago between Sabin and Manik I think that seemed like it was brought to 2013 in a time machine from an ROH show a decade ago.

Bret fit into the attitude era, in my opinion, but you could tell he wasn't comfortable with it.  If he had stayed in WWE and they had kept pushing things to the extreme I could see him not fitting in with it at all.

I always felt like Jeff Jarrett felt like a late 80's guy during his WWF runs.

Bret fit into the attitude era, in my opinion, but you could tell he wasn't comfortable with it.  If he had stayed in WWE and they had kept pushing things to the extreme I could see him not fitting in with it at all.

If he never left or came back after his contract was up  3-5 years later, If he never got in Injured, Bret would've a stonger run work wise than before because he would've had a better selection of guys to work with.

Backlund in the 90's.  It's like he came out of a time capsule and it was awesome.  Too bad most guys couldn't figure out how to have a solid match with him, like Razor.  Also, it's too bad he never got to wrestle Flair one-on-one again.

That was the whole point of Backlund's run in the mid-90's though. He was portrayed as a relic, a man clutching onto the past but he was still dangerous as fuck. He was there to give you some sports education

• Like 2

Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne needed to be around during the heyday of WCW's cruiserweight division. An English-speaking white-meat babyface that could fly with the best of them. Instead he got stuck (and injured) in the time after WWE gave up on cruisers and before small indy guys like Punk and Bryan took off. 

Nigel McGuinness wasn't necessarily in the wrong era, but he was definitely in the wrong promotion. He had all the charisma necessary to make it in WWE, and while he might have sacrificed a little bit in-ring going through WWE developmental instead of the indies, he at least wouldn't have killed himself with stupid bumps. Could you imagine if he got Wade Barrett's initial push? 

John Cena's a guy who rose to the top of his era by sheer talent (and Lesnar deciding to pursue other activities), not because he was necessarily the best fit for his era. He would've been even bigger in the late 80s/early 90s. I mean, he could've rocked the territories too, but he would've killed it as a top face for either of the big two on the national stage.