DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Joe vs. The SUV - 8/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, just drew said:

Who gives a flying boysenberry fuck about "Good matches?" The WWE has been having "good matches" for the last decade pretty well nonstop, and business is way down.

95% of the matches on main roster programming being 50-50 cookie-cutter "good matches" where everyone gets their shit in two times is a huge part of why WWE is so stagnant right now. Everyone wants to fault the creative, but the matches are boring and overproduced too.

• Like 4

That Joe promo is fucking great.   He should totally be a tweener-heel who will fuck people up for correctly crossing him.    Hopefully that's where Heyman takes his character.

Also, of note, I honestly cannot remember the last time they actually ran the title sequence at the top of the show.  It has to have been at least a year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am confused

Was there any explanation as to why Trish was technically teaming with Nattie?

Or is it just young = cool face and veteran = heel.

Or or - are we just back to Canadians are evil?

(This is all based on the fact that Charlotte and Trish have clearly defined roles in that match)

And then we get Trish checking on her opponent after the match which also runs counter to Becky’s one against all persona.   I mean, a WWE alumni comforts her one week after Becky attacked another alimninfor helping train Natalya  

She should have pushed Trish away and let Trish cut a “These bitches be crazy and I might have to remind them who Trish Stratus is” kind of promo which could have  sown seeds for a future title match/program with Becky if Trish looks good against Charlotte

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

95% of the matches on main roster programming being 50-50 cookie-cutter "good matches" where everyone gets their shit in two times is a huge part of why WWE is so stagnant right now. Everyone wants to fault the creative, but the matches are boring and overproduced too.

Steve Austin prioritizing "get your shit in" did more harm than good. I hate how every match has the same spots. It shouldn't be that way. TV isnt a house show- but these guys treat it that way.

• Like 1

Yes, because no one serious ever did the "underserving champ(s) duck literally everyone until they finally get cornered and lose the belt(s)" angle.  Belts are ALWAYS SERIUZ BIZNIS!

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Why not have champions that have some credibility, and let the comedy take place on the sidelines?

That would be fine with me.   Also,  the champions don't have to be "SERIOUS" but the titles should at least have some credibility.  Shawn Michaels did the chickenshit heel role with the I.C. title but he still had some great matches during that era as well.  

So you see..  it is possible to walk and chew gum. 

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yes, because no one serious ever did the "underserving champ(s) duck literally everyone until they finally get cornered and lose the belt(s)" angle.  Belts are ALWAYS SERIUZ BIZNIS!

giphy.gif

Caps locks, deliberately misspelt words and gifs- you're definitely the Iiconics of this discussion.

My point is, the women's tag belts were newly created belts, and as such, probably needed someone with a bit of credibility to help establish them. Instead, they moved them pretty quickly onto an un-over comedy act, and then proceeded to have them do un-over comedy, mostly not even on TV, for several months before just shifting them onto another heel team. It didn't get the belts over, it didn't get them any more over, it didn't help get another babyface team over, and they ended up losing Sasha in the process. I mean, maybe you enjoyed the reign, and that's fine, but looking at it objectively, it was kinda a bad decision, don't you think?

• Like 2

For a company that 99% of the time puts bad decisions on TV week after week, treatment of a couple of belts that quite possibly were only created to keep a couple workers happy that didn't need to be created was a drop in the bucket.  And their lack of booking anything outside of 2-3 programs in the women's division hasn't really made them miss Sasha either.

I mean, you can try to load up TV with nothing but good matches that exist in a vacuum, but ask Impact how that worked (yeah, I hate to bring up someone that's banned argument, but there was a point in there).  I mean, you want to scream belt credibility meanwhile the Main belt of the promotion went from Someone that can only be bothered to show up 4 times a year to a 2 Time massive flop back to same 4 time a year dude and no one really cares in the long run.  At this point the most entertaining belt in the promotion *is* the comedy belt.  

When people tend to complain about the Women's Tag Belts, it comes off more like sour grapes that Sasha/Bayley and Asuka/Kari aren't in the middle of a Best of 2342342435 series of PWG specials and projecting that anger onto people don't really deserve the bile thrown their way.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3

@Yo-Yo's Roomie Listen,  it's pointless asking a question like that around here because a lot of folks have either forgotten how great Sasha is or they feel she should have continued to eat shit from creative along with broken promises or they don't value good wrestling or they want to leave bait/troll crumbs for people like me who were fans of hers ?

I didn't even mention anything about her being in the future of women's tag wrestling and a few people jumped on it.  I was talking about the Kabuki Warriors and Mandy/Sonya,  I think there's potential there with both of those teams to have some fun matches and establish the titles. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

For a company that 99% of the time puts bad decisions on TV week after week, treatment of a couple of belts that quite possibly were only created to keep a couple workers happy that didn't need to be created was a drop in the bucket.  And their lack of booking anything outside of 2-3 programs in the women's division hasn't really made them miss Sasha either.

I don't know how much she or Ronda are missed but when it was announced that Lacey Evans was going to be the challenger for Becky Lynch a lot of people groaned including myself and we were right.  That feud was met with dead silence and it did nothing to help Lacey Evans and it did nothing but stall the momentum Becky had at the time.  That was her Kane feud. Many of us predicted it and here we are. 

On the other side,  how many times did we mention how the Asuka defeating Becky at the Rumble was leading to nothing?  I hate giving Alvarez credit for anything but he said it on the night of the Rumble that it would go nowhere and he was RIGHT..     no follow up at all.  

• Like 2