DVDVR Message Board

Total Extreme Warfare/EWR Booking Committee

jaedmc

Correct. It's now a widescreen resolution but you cannot adjust the size of the window unfortunately. While he redid the game from the bottom up, I guess he wasn't learning a new language or style or whatever as it still has a lot of the old limitations.

With the new interface giving you so much info and fitting a lot of smaller numbers on the screen, the game's window size is just too small for a 4k monitor. It's hard to read, which is unfortunate because I like the move towards fewer clicks and more info at your fingertips. There's no way of setting a custom scale percentage for just one app on Windows 10, right? I would love to play this at 200% or even higher. Ideally we could just full screen but we can't.

Jesus christ, I'm gonna have to spend a solid week (or more) with this demo to get used to everything. So far the only thing I've heard that's disappointing is that converted 2016 mods/scenarios won't be able to utilize everything that 2020 offers (not unexpected obviously), but it'll still work and compatible with a good chunk of the new features. Not sure yet what does and doesn't work with old mods, but I'm sure the sleuths on EWB will figure it out by the time I'm off work Monday morning (if not sooner). Looks a lot sleeker than previous incarnations, but I'm gonna need a new skin ASAP because that shit hurts my eyes when I go to a browser window or something else outside of the game.

I've never liked the CornellVerse - I appreciate the level of depth and creativity he's put into it over the years, but it's just not my thing. I'm looking forward to the first real world mod that gets released. Until then, I'm loading up the 1987 scenario I'm running in TEW 2016 and going to go apeshit with All Japan Women, baby!

2 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'd love to try this out, but I'm hesitant since I haven't followed wrestling in 15 years and know few of the wrestlers. 

There are mods and scenarios out there ranging from the 30s all the way up to the 2010s. If you're interested, this site has those that I mentioned under TEW 2016 > Mods (Real World). You'd just have to convert them so they're compatible with TEW 2020 (unless you decide to get TEW 2016).

For example, in TEW 2016, right now I'm running a 1987 mod.

People are out with pitchforks for this game. Every release of his always has criticisms, many valid, and he's quick to address them but people are legitimately upset with this one. His unwillingness to learn new code and/or try new things has hurt. Then he tries to reinvent the UI and it is largely pretty horrendous (I had no idea so few people use 4k resolution, but there are a handful saying it's nigh impossible to play this game). It'll be interesting to see the reaction to this short and long term. Short term, how flexible is he with smaller features people are saying they will not buy the game without? How much will the UI end up changing? Long term does this spell the end of the series? Does he sell the rights? Does he learn new code to modernize the series? 

I can only imagine how rough it must be putting in all that time over ~2 years and it receiving almost universal complaints. There is a lot to like in the new game, I get what they were going for with the UI, but the layout is generally pretty awful and the fonts way too small. If you can't play the game without hurting your eyes and simple functions like mouse scrolling through all lists (holy shit, not being able to scroll or type out the first letter of road agent notes is killing me inside) it doesn't matter how great the new perception, gimmicks, contracts, or whatever else new systems are. 

It does seem to me he has surrounded himself with very able testers who are also afraid to criticize his game. Sycophant may be going too far but there is no fucking way the game should've gotten this far without the UI being addressed by somebody. 

Edit: and why remove such a helpful feature as searching the wrestler pool or even your own roster for general skill levels of in ring or on the mic workers? Did he think it too cheese? We can still search for people by individual skills so I don't think it's that. That removal sucks. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So TEW2020 officially dropped today, and full credit, I went from "I might just stick with 2016" to strongly considering buying It after seeing the UI improvements. It looks so good now. Full credit to them changing that much.

I'm still not in love with some things, like the popularity/fan perception split, but overall, hot damn

While I bought it, I still don't think enough was done in regards to the UI. The office screen was fixed but there was a mock-up done of the worker page that certainly seem like it was within the realm of virtual basic's limitations that was so much better than what we got. And there are a lot of simple features from 2016 that have yet to be ported over and at this point I doubt they ever will, like touring contracts to stop the likes of All and New Japan from signing up big name American stars to 4 year exclusive deals. The inability to scroll or type the first letter of the road agent note you want when booking an angle or match is inexcusable in my mind.

Edited by Oyaji

So..for the booking committee:

Here's some ideas for what we could do: (Cornellverse only right now)
A) One of the US Big 3 (USPW, SWF, TCW)

B)One of the Puro Big 2.5 (BHOTWG, PGHW, BCG. I have a soft spot for BCG myself)

C) Small "independent" MAW, RIPW, SAISHO, WLW, CZCW

D) Create our own company.

Any thoughts

Assuming we are playing the 2020 save data,  I'd be down for MAW, SAISHO, OLLIE, or even BCG. If we did go to a major company, I'd be down with trying to turn TCW around.

I will say I'm a gigantic fan of the Cornellverse 2018 mod. If you don't have it I would suggest looking it up, as there literally isn't a fed I don't find interesting to play as in the save. Also, if we did want to do 2016, the C'Verse 97 mod is a treat.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan

Newest patch added in keyboard and scroll usage for road agent notes. As small as that may seem, it will help a lot. Hopefully he addresses the awful show order arrows on the booking screen eventually. He's also addressing balancing with pop gains and financials around PPVs and managers. Sounds good.

God damn, I am starting to love this new edition. I fired up the beta of the '91 data (so great), playing as Flair getting the keys from Turner. Gave Herd the boot and brought in Rude, Steamboat, Lawler, Tully, Martel, and then Eric Embry to team up with Bobby Eaton. "Elegant" Eric Embry sounds cheesy goodness, man and of course he'll have the blonde hair. 

McMahon, knowing that he stood no chance, lashed out with a dirty trick saying WCW is backed by an evil cult and that it would hurt my popularity. I laughed so hard at that! Well, I'm leaning into that shit with Sullivan starting up The Cult. I'll bring in guys like Cactus and Sabu. I noticed Savage's contract is nearing its end... Revenge will be mine. ?

But what a fun roster to play with. Hansen, Sid, Vader, Sting, Luger, Flair, Windham, Arn, Steiners then add those dudes coming in. GG.

• Like 2

Wow...it's surprising. It took me 17 years of playing EWR to finally find out today it's a broken piece of shit that openly cheats at the war system.

Playing a 2013-styled UWF/AWF/WXO styled "built around castoffs" to try and rebuild it to a modern promotion slowly but surely. I get up to National...yay! And I'm immediately in a war with AAA, CMLL, and ROH...boo. 

Not a problem- I knew I'd get glommed in War because I had so many legends with weak stats vs. wrestlers who could work. My first War week I get hit hard.

I go through for a rebuild, and I get to War level again...I lose to CMLL in talent [beat them in draw], and lose to ROH in draw/talent. 

The problem there: In between that, I cheated myself, using Arsenic to turn five Non-Wrestlers who'd never wrestle again to have straight 100's in their stats (so that when the algorithm to determine "draw value" and "talent" came into play", I wouldn't lose)...and yet somehow, I still did. It wasn't even Non-Wrestler vs. Wrestler, because ROH's top five had two Non-Wrestlers too.