DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K20

On 1/11/2020 at 5:57 PM, Ramo2653 said:

Fonzie, if you're really looking for a WWE game with official scans, music etc, then 2K19 is pretty good. I got it last February when it was on sale and I like it aside from the submission system.

It's not better than FirePro though.

I'll second this, I bought it July last year and have pretty much played the Universe feature every day since then. Plus as it's the 'older' game pretty much every CAW and arena you can think of has been made.

I'm currently running a bespoke fed (IWA) which as its main storylines has the Four Horsemen v Goldberg, Steamboat not being able to beat Stunning Steve for the TV title in the required time limit, and a Blackjack Mulligan v Terry Funk US title feud that's getting more and more violent.

Regarding the submission system I had to keep the game on easy mode to deal with it ?

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Got back into 2K19 between playing Fire Pro. If the A.I. was better balanced for all modes, and the grapple mechanics fixed, this would be a way better game. I mean if you look at it the reversal system is just the timed grapple system in KoC. The only difference is the guy on defense is the guy in charge with button timing. Also I’m not a fan of race to a finisher. I enjoy Spike’s invisible barriers to hit finishers, or super moves. But seriously this game series had potential, shame they lost the original cooks in the kitchen because of 2K’s blunders as a developer.

But yeah, singles matches aren’t bad. Top rope moves being easy to reverse on any difficulty is bullshit. They should just eliminate the reverse mechanic on that, unless you have a KoC style super move stored. Tag matches are broken still. So if I want to role-play a typical build to a big singles match, I can’t because it’s no fun. Makes me remember how good it was to dip into tag matches in No Mercy. I would do a years worth of cards because of how fun it was to play all my CAW’s against one another.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

One way in which AEW could keep some of its luster during this strange time is by announcing a video game. 

2K19 was definitely a flawed yet still pretty great game. The tower mode was a great new mode that was really fun to play single player, which is usually the big stumbling block in these games for me at least. "Okay, I've spent hours downloading CAWs and adjusting moves and points so that everything makes sense. Now I have to actually play the game tho..." And while it is a fucking blast with friends the AI isn't very good and it definitely is a race to the finisher, which gets real monotonous. Towers gave me something to focus on in single player mode that was challenging and more arcadey so I don't care if the matches don't reflect a good wrestling match so much. 

I've had as much fun playing 2K18 and 19 with friends than I have any wrestling games since getting into Fire Pro D with friends in high school and VPW 2/No Mercy. So there is definitely a great platform to build on but then 2K got greedy by cutting Yukes out. Yeah, I'm sure it's annoying having to deal with their code and going through them for changes instead of having everything done internally but fuck. How could they not see this coming and just skip a year? Release a 2K20 DLC pack and sell that to hold people over while you try to rebuild an engine without Yukes. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WWE Games addressed the status of the annual 2K series in their statement today, writing that there will be a "renewed focus on quality and fun" for the next edition of the game and that they're extending the production timeline for it:

Next, we want to address WWE 2K20. We’ve heard and appreciate your feedback, and continue to listen to you closely. Since launch, we’ve released five title updates, addressing hundreds of reported concerns, and have released four WWE 2K20 Originals DLC expansions to build on and improve the experience. We’ve also heard your requests to keep the WWE 2K19 servers running; they will remain active for the time being.

All of that being said, we hear you and we know you want more from the franchise, so here’s what we’re going to do: we are applying what we’ve learned to the next WWE 2K simulation game with a renewed focus on quality and fun. As part of that commitment, we are extending the production timeline and will not be releasing a WWE 2K simulation game in 2020 (T2 fiscal year 2021). We want to ensure the development team at Visual Concepts can create a great game that will entertain grizzled WWE 2K veterans, as well as newcomers who want to climb through the ropes and step into the ring for the very first time.

We’ve recruited Patrick Gilmore to serve as our new Executive Producer and lead these efforts at Visual Concepts. Patrick has over 25 years of experience in video games, reaching all the way back to Disney’s Aladdin on Sega Genesis, and including franchises like Killer Instinct, Medal of Honor, and, most recently, Amazon’s New World. He will be overseeing WWE 2K development, and you’ll be hearing more from him and the team in the months to come.

We hope you find this news as exciting as we do. We are confident it will lead to better games in the future.

That was in conjunction with the announcement of that terrible looking Battlegrounds thing

I'm hoping that they fix the women having what appears to be Big Head mode (as pointed out earlier)  But I need to more to decide if this is something worth considering.  At least I have All Stars but wish they would have just taken that game and put modern characters in it instead.

I feel like I can say with some degree of certainty that this Battlegrounds game probably was destined to be a mobile game until 2K20 turned out to be the modern version of WCW Thunder and 2K had to scramble to put something out this year.

WWE 2k22 wishlist (I haven't played 2k20, so if they did some of these things already, my apologies):

- No polka dots for Dusty Rhodes.  Just generic black tights with his initials embroidered on the hip.

-  Rick Rude and "Stunning" Steve Austin will have more generic tights, rather than Rude's SummerSlam 1990 tights and Austin's "Dragon Slayer" tights.

-  Historical wrestlers with multiple skins will no longer have the year the skin is from appear next to their name (eg: Sting 91, Sting 97, etc.) in gameplay.

-  There will be a "Legends of the Rising Sun" DLC pack with 80's/90's guys who aren't under contract to FirePro (All Japan/NOAH, All Japan Women, FMW, etc.).  The All Japan/NOAH guys will be from circa 1994-1997 (ex: Kobashi will have orange tights and come out to "Sniper," Kawada will NOT come out to the version of his theme song with the acoustic guitar intro but rather that version that starts with the thunder clap, Misawa will not wear a ridiculous "court jester" jacket to the ring.).  Onita, Hayabusa, Kanemura, Mr. Pogo, Matsunaga, Tarzan Goto, Masato Tanaka will be the FMW entries (NO KODO FUYUKI!!!!).  

-  No film grain on the historical arenas.

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

-  There will be a "Legends of the Rising Sun" DLC pack with 80's/90's guys who aren't under contract to FirePro (All Japan/NOAH, All Japan Women, FMW, etc.).  The All Japan/NOAH guys will be from circa 1994-1997 (ex: Kobashi will have orange tights and come out to "Sniper," Kawada will NOT come out to the version of his theme song with the acoustic guitar intro but rather that version that starts with the thunder clap, Misawa will not wear a ridiculous "court jester" jacket to the ring.).  Onita, Hayabusa, Kanemura, Mr. Pogo, Matsunaga, Tarzan Goto, Masato Tanaka will be the FMW entries (NO KODO FUYUKI!!!!). 

So what kind of weed are you smoking? The closest we've gotten to this is HOF'er Fujinami, and that one time Bull Nakano was supposed to be in the game because Alundra Blayze was a playable character, but she dropped out mid-way through development.

As for the attires, pretty sure you can just edit all of that into existence. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Eb26BrXXgAAtAHp?format=jpg&name=smallI first joined the DVDVR MB in September 2005. In all that time, this is one of my favourite things on the board seeing the hilarious botches and glitches in this fucked up game.
Edited by The Natural

I’m a little late to the 2k19 shout out in this thread.  But just wanted to add one more check in the win column for my purposes is one of the best wrestling games ever.  

I just recently completed 3 seasons of my sim league with a bunch of my buddies.  Two of the seasons were in 2k19.  Once I finally wrapped my mind around the best settings in the options menus... this game performed.  

Historically (The MVWF has been around for 20 years) I really thought nothing was going to top No Mercy as a simulator.  Plus the GameCube games really put out as well.  

So even though I don’t really play this game.  I can say it delivered.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, Brandon Bones said:

I’m a little late to the 2k19 shout out in this thread.  But just wanted to add one more check in the win column for my purposes is one of the best wrestling games ever.  

I just recently completed 3 seasons of my sim league with a bunch of my buddies.  Two of the seasons were in 2k19.  Once I finally wrapped my mind around the best settings in the options menus... this game performed.  

Historically (The MVWF has been around for 20 years) I really thought nothing was going to top No Mercy as a simulator.  Plus the GameCube games really put out as well.  

So even though I don’t really play this game.  I can say it delivered.

What's sad is I feel an urge to go back to 2K19.  Normally I would stick with the current version for better or worse but then 2K20 happened.  But with me taking a small break from Fire Pro I may see how it feels playing that again.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 7:55 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

What's sad is I feel an urge to go back to 2K19.  Normally I would stick with the current version for better or worse but then 2K20 happened.  But with me taking a small break from Fire Pro I may see how it feels playing that again.

Are you playing the game or using it to sim?

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Are you playing the game or using it to sim?

Mainly to play. I have simmed a bit but would rather just play to ensure I get the results I want. Might give simming another try though. 

21 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Mainly to play. I have simmed a bit but would rather just play to ensure I get the results I want. Might give simming another try though. 

The real draw for me has been how surprisingly competitive and competent the matches turn out to be.

I’ve had Iron Man matches where the score switched leaders a couple times.  In one instance in a 60 Min Iron Man a guy got destroyed for the first half hour only to rally in the second and came within 1 point of winning.   

The key of course, is getting those settings right in both the options menus and attributes.  I tend to push more defense and less in offense to give matches a chance to breath.  I even experimented with some guy who had maximum and minimum attribute points.  Neither turned out to be a guarantee of a win or loss.

Check out the main event in this video.  Lots of great heat building, one really great near fall, and a crushing finish.  Plus, you can make fun of my announcer voice.

• Like 2