DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K20

Bit of a good news/ bad news thing for 2K then. The bad news is they're going to have to spend  bunch of time and money fixing this broken arse game again. The good news is, people are still actually trying to play the thing, even after all the constant negative covfefe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse apparently you can't play this game if your system clock says 2020. Not sure if it is all consoles or just a particular one.   I guess it is some kind of Y2K thing.   

WWE 2K20 keeps providing and providing. This has honestly given me some of my favourite times on the board.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 3

LOL, this is the funniest shit ever. Visual Concepts is a respected dev, so I think that all of the issues that this game has had are really on the fact that Yuke's was the only one who knew how to work the shambling Frankenstein's Monster of an engine that they'd basically been maintaining for twenty years. 

2K needs to tear the whole thing down, skip a year, and let VC actually develop a new engine. This would be the time to let a secondary team do a WWE All-Stars 2 in the interim to get a game out for the gap year. Maybe let 2K21 come out, then All-Stars 2 for 2022, then a reboot with a new engine from the ground up for 2023. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse apparently you can't play this game if your system clock says 2020. Not sure if it is all consoles or just a particular one.   I guess it is some kind of Y2K thing.   

The Y2K bug was easily understandable, though. I'm at a loss for how they managed to do this.

Unless it's actually "Jan 1" and not "2020" that's the problem, in which case maybe they do a date check somewhere and only used the month and day?

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

The Y2K bug was easily understandable, though. I'm at a loss for how they managed to do this.

Unless it's actually "Jan 1" and not "2020" that's the problem, in which case maybe they do a date check somewhere and only used the month and day?

One-digit representation of the year? Though you would assume that in 2019 you would use some standard class for an object storing date/time information. Even considering that engine is probably 20 years old, they had at least one, more likely two, decade-rollovers in the past.

Though I must say, I had to deal with some weird-ass bugs due to "optimizations" when storing date information. Some examples:

- In a software developed something like 2001 or 2002, someone (who is now a manager in our company) had the glorious idea to reserve only 4 bit for storing the year information, i.e. after (20)15 the clock rolled over to (20)00, for time-limited licenses. So it was not possible to create licenses, that expired in 2016, as that meant that the license was already expired (as the rest of the system had no problem as it used standard classes to deal with time information).

- In a product we were using a 3rd party GPS chip, that stores the "GPS week" information with 8 bits. So every 256 weeks the "GPS week" counter runs over. The developer did not consider the potential rollover and when it first occurred (which it does ever 4.9 years), it led to a lot of weird-ass behavior. By the way: last year, a full rollover happened (per standard the information only is stored in 10 bits, so every 1024 weeks this runs over, independent of the implementation).

There is even a nice Wikipedia page on the whole general issue of bugs due to time rollovers (including the WWE 2k20 problem):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_formatting_and_storage_bugs

The year 2038 is still far away, but I am sure that there will still be lots of issues on January, 19th 2038:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Edited by Robert s
  • Thanks 1

So bottom please someone tell me if this game is worth buying I want a wrestling game so bad I haven't played the 2K games and so long and this looks like it has a lot of extras but it has a lot of bugs please tell me if the bugs have been fixed and if it's in your opinion worth purchasing. I'm laid up with surgery on my foot which got a huge infection that put me in a septic level on I have nothing to play besides the start of wars game which is awesome and I'm almost finished with it but please Any info would be great and please forgive the typos as I'm using the talk 2 Type feature thanks in advance

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, damnnearfonzie said:

So bottom please someone tell me if this game is worth buying I want a wrestling game so bad I haven't played the 2K games and so long and this looks like it has a lot of extras but it has a lot of bugs please tell me if the bugs have been fixed and if it's in your opinion worth purchasing. I'm laid up with surgery on my foot which got a huge infection that put me in a septic level on I have nothing to play besides the start of wars game which is awesome and I'm almost finished with it but please Any info would be great and please forgive the typos as I'm using the talk 2 Type feature thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Pro-Wrestling-World-PlayStation-4/dp/B07BKKSWKC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=firepro+wrestling+world&qid=1578751584&sr=8-1

There's only one choice if you want a wrestling game right now. It's only $29.99, a bargain for one of the greatest wrestling games ever.

You don't want to waste your money on this game fonzie. The WWE game series has had its moments post-THQ/AKI era. Now is not that time though. The game system and mechanics have gotten progressively worse and overwrought. They are glitched or broken to hell. The good stuff that is there is taken out or replaced with dumb stuff. It is not worth buying.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

thanks so much for telling me about fire pro wrestling but I've been a firepro and since the nineties I actually bought a Sega Saturn had it modded boss b Japanese version of the game it was 6 man scramble i think n  I bought another game after that in the firepro series and I've been an addict of it ever since. I'm trying to wait around to buy the new fire pro when all the extras are for sale. But I was just trying to see if the 2K 20 was worth a crap but thank you for the heads up please anyone else if you can give me some information please do I'm just stuck here at the house leg up antibiotics sticking in my vein all day long it's just a miserable experience right now and I just want something to pass the time thank you all and thanks in advance. PS thanks 4 listening to my rambling as I know there's a lot of typos on this talk to text feature. Long live fire pro!

Edited by damnnearfonzie
Error
  • Like 1

On a side note has anyone played the new NWA POWERRR game that they're basing after the old wrestlefest games? I mean I'm sure there's only demos right now but I hope they put a lot of extra characters in it wrestlers and some storylines would be great this day and age was so many people that know how to do so much work on games the storylines and everything are limitless. just curious as to what everyone thinks about it I hope they have more moves instead of just the typical body slam etc.

and I know she car I was working on a video game it look decent and I give them props for that any word on it yet.. thanks again in advance...

Edited by damnnearfonzie
  • Like 1

Fonzie, if you're really looking for a WWE game with official scans, music etc, then 2K19 is pretty good. I got it last February when it was on sale and I like it aside from the submission system.

It's not better than FirePro though.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 7:22 AM, damnnearfonzie said:

On a side note has anyone played the new NWA POWERRR game that they're basing after the old wrestlefest games? I mean I'm sure there's only demos right now but I hope they put a lot of extra characters in it wrestlers and some storylines would be great this day and age was so many people that know how to do so much work on games the storylines and everything are limitless. just curious as to what everyone thinks about it I hope they have more moves instead of just the typical body slam etc.

and I know she car I was working on a video game it look decent and I give them props for that any word on it yet.. thanks again in advance...

Dude, download grammarly, like now. . . 

Edited by Kuetsar
  • Haha 3

On 1/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, damnnearfonzie said:

Retromania??  I don't think the demos are out to play yet.  Haven't heard of any NWA games but Retromania is based off of the Wrestlefest series. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, damnnearfonzie said:

Going off what was mentioned above Retromania is supposed to come out early this year though there's no release date yet.  Right now it looks like a few of the NWA Powerr guys are in but they also have the likes of Dreamer and LOD in it.  They're having some contest to see which indy wrestler will make it in the game so I'm sure there's going to be DLC and unlockables.  But I can't wait to play it.

And also like mentioned above WWE 2K19 is the far superior option if you're looking at one of their games.  I wouldn't touch this year's game with a 39 and a half foot pole.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...