DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K20

Ever since WWE 2K20's awful graphics and multiple glitches, I've waited for GameCentral's review. GameCentral are strict with their scores and reviews.

The review is now up. A taster:

WWE 2K20 may have plenty of features but that does not make it a great game, especially given the terrible graphics and equally horrendous bugs. It’s an embarrassment that it was launched in this state and while a patch has been promised within two weeks (but only after a significant outcry from the fanbase), reviewing what’s here at launch was more painful than the ending to Hell in a Cell 2019.

Enjoy:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/28/wwe-2k20-game-review-top-rope-tumble-10994234/

Edited by The Natural

Patch notes, 1st November 2019:

Hello, everyone.

WWE 2K20 patch 1.02 is now live on Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

The patch addresses reported concerns regarding the following issues and we expect to roll out additional patches in the near future to address additional concerns:

• Gameplay and Controls
  • Graphics and Clipping
  • Hair Physics
  • Hit detection and aiming
  • Interactions with tables, ladders, steel steps, and other objects
  • Referee actions
  • Onscreen button prompts
  • Characters “warping” or moving unnaturally around the arena
  • Crashes and Freezing
  • Image downloads
  • Entrances and attires
  • Universe mode editing and saving
  • Custom and Created Superstars and creation modes
  • Commentary and sound effects
  • Online Stability, matchmaking, desyncs, and lag

There's a pretty good chance that they won't even be able to fix everything.  It's such a long list that without cashflow of people buying the game to keep you going, you gotta cut your losses at some point. 

I mean this is a complete dickhead thing to do but nobody is gonna fix that shit for free.

• Like 3

https://www.gamesradar.com/wwe-2k20-patch-notes-update/

WWE 2K20 patch notes: graphics

First concern: the official WWE 2K20 patch notes are troublingly vague, with specifics left to the community to work out for themselves. On the cosmetics front, 2K says it has addressed “graphics and clipping” and “hair physics”. Here’s some positive news on the latter: Bianca Belair’s superhuman ponytail, which became an internet meme [see below] shortly before the game’s 22 October release, looks a tonne better. Sadly that isn’t always the case for CAWs or fan-edited outfits. I have an Alexa Bliss alternate attire whose hair resembles jagged spikes each time she walks down the aisle, an effect unchanged post-patch.

Frustratingly, the grain on titan trons and entrance videos remains in place: Bliss comes to the ring in front of a background which is supposed to be black-and-blue but features numerous grey spots, whereas it was crystal clear in WWE 2K19. You also still can’t pull down a wrestler's straps mid-match, as was possible with the likes of Kurt Angle in the last couple of editions. Sadly, it feels like that option is gone forever. 

As for the claim of clipping issues being fixed, I’ve noticed zero improvement. I have Mark Andrews set as cruiserweight champion and Keith Lee as North American champion, and both belts clip through their entrance attires to a degree that would be comical, were this not a £50/$60 game. 

WWE 2K20 patch notes: gameplay

Some big news for those of you who enjoy tag matches: the beloved option to switch to controlling your partner on the fly mid-match is back. This is especially critical because duff AI often causes him/her to stand on the ring apron dawdling while your opponent’s comrade leaps through the ropes to break up any pin attempt. 

Hit detection is also much improved. Pre-patch I found the first WWE 2K20 DLCentry to be a wildly inconsistent affair, with weapon shots pointed straight at Harper or Rowan instead aimed at a pocket of air six feet either side of them. Now, for the most part, onscreen aiming is representative of your left-stick inputs. Phew. 

Also fixed in this area according to 2K are “referee actions” and “characters warping or moving unnaturally around the arena”. Certainly I’ve not seen any issues in these departments since downloading the patch. Oh, and sliders feel like they’re improved too: I have most reversals set at 20/100 and am seeing noticeably fewer than before the patch. 

WWE 2K20 patch notes: Universe mode

WWE Universe is my go-to mode in the WWE 2K series, but – as discussed in GR’s review – I found it unplayable upon release. Many of my issues appear to have been addressed. Saves to characters outside of the mode are now applying within it, and alternate attires for superstars can be preset rather than you having to select them each time you book a match.

The community still reports problems, however. Multiple users on the official WWE 2K forums have found a problem where any female winning a women’s title also earns them the men’s Intercontinental Championship. Gah. It’s also impossible to have more than 10 matches on any single event card, despite 2K claiming before release that 14 would be the maximum number. 

WWE 2K20 patch notes: CAWs

Miracle of miracles: a major issue with created wrestlers refusing to load has been resolved. Previously, any that you downloaded from Community Creations with text anywhere on their attire would cause the game to freeze up in the match loading screen. I’ve just spent half an hour testing all such guilty parties on my 2K20 save, such as tag teams The Ascension and Powers Of Pain, and all load fine now. The option to download custom images also appears to be working as intended.

Sadly the good news ends there. Multiple users report issues with trying to edit Jeff Hardy: his face paint remains unchangeable, and fiddling with his arms continues to cause problems across the game. Face textures, photo placement and logo placement are also causing headaches across the community. It’s such a problem that Defract, one of the most reputable CAW creators around, says that at this stage he has no plans to make any wrestlers for the game.

WWE 2K20 patch notes: other ups and downs

An assortment of the good, the bad and the Fiend to finish. [Thanks to Vinnie Vegas – again, on the official 2K forums – for spotting some of these.

• [good] Display issues with Resiliency prompt are fixed, so it now correctly shows up as requiring R2 + Triangle / RT + Y to perform.
  • [good] “Commentary and sound effects” have been improved, according to Visual Concepts - although these were two areas where GR previously had the least trouble.
  • [good] Tables and ladders now show up under Miscellaneous when you try to customise the in-game weapon wheel.
  • [bad] Any editing of ‘The Fiend’ Bray Wyatt’s moveset is erased when you switch off the game.
  • [good] An issue with Luke Harper’s theme has been fixed…
  • [bad]… by removing it completely and inside giving him his old Bludgeon Brothers theme! Honestly, that is a staggeringly sly short-cut.

Edited by Wee Bey

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/wwe-executive-comments-on-issues-surrounding-wwe-2k20-launch

During a recent interview with Fool.com, WWE executive Michelle Wilsoncommented on WWE’s Q3 earnings call and the disastrous launch of WWE 2K20. Of course, the game has been full of glitches and other issues on multiple platforms. She said,

“Finally we continued the evolution of our franchise video game with the launch of WWE 2K20 on October 22 which was developed by Take-Two Interactive. While the initial feedback on the release has been mixed we believe in the ability of Take-Two Interactive to further develop the game engine enabling new functionality and experiences over time that are critical to driving the game’s long-term growth.“

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2019 at 2:12 PM, Tromatagon said:

There's a pretty good chance that they won't even be able to fix everything.  It's such a long list that without cashflow of people buying the game to keep you going, you gotta cut your losses at some point. 

I mean this is a complete dickhead thing to do but nobody is gonna fix that shit for free.

Yeah, that's what I said a few days ago or so. The game is far too broken to fix everything and with them needing to start work on 2K21 they're not going to make this shit completely fixed.

This isn't a No Man's Sky thing.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

The review scores are funny and all the criticism and condemnationthis game is getting is well-deserved, but I wish review sites were this brave with broken ass sports games like Madden. 

Just in general. Seems like the baseline is a 7 for anything not complete dog shit.

Madden this year isn't perfect and for as much money it generates should be 100x better but it's pretty darned enjoyable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 1:00 AM, Craig H said:

Yeah, that's what I said a few days ago or so. The game is far too broken to fix everything and with them needing to start work on 2K21 they're not going to make this shit completely fixed.

This isn't a No Man's Sky thing.

2K21 will just use this same engine with glue and spit holding it together again and somehow be even glitchier.