DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K20

Edit: Derp, Casey beat me to the punch talking about TEW 2016 having a bunch of features to make the game feel more like EWR. Definitely ask away any questions in the TEW thread buried in this forum (or the new one one of us will inevitably make when 2020 drops next year.

I'm looking forward to doing a draft with some friends using the War of the Immortals set-up, where everybody is in their prime.

Edited by Oyaji

It was posted in the catch-all thread, but Yukes and 2K parted ways. From the sounds of it, WWE 2K20 will be the last one for Yukes and then Visual Concepts will take over on future titles.

So with VC flying on their own with making this thing, I wonder if they'll stick with the engine that's already there or if they'll work on a new engine.

I haven't played the NBA 2K series in what feels like forever. Maybe not since the Dreamcast. I understand that NBA 2K is generally very well regarded, but I've also seen people complain about it. So how has the NBA 2K series been lately? If VC is solely handling this now, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally, I haven't liked Yukes for years now. I think Here Comes the Pain was the last Yukes title I thought was very good. That's about as close as they got to perfecting the formula and then they completely strayed from that game. Others says Day of Reckoning 2 is very good, but I honestly think that game is shit. Collision detection is a total mess with wrestlers ping ponging off of each other. I'm sure they thought it would be smart to let you interrupt moves, but any time you do it's just a mess of ragdoll effects. And those games came out years ago. I hope Yukes stays together and no one there loses their jobs, but they need to make a new kind of wrestling video game and they've been doing the same old shit for years now.

NBA 2K games have pretty great gameplay. Sure there are minor complaints that the hardest of hardcores (the slider guys) complain about and are justified but it's overall amazing and they do a fantastic job with the career, league, and GM modes. Graphics are top notch too, as are animations. My biggest complaint and probably what will stop me from buying the new one is their over the top use of virtual currency. You have to grind so fucking hard in modes to be able to do some of the cool shit or unlock gear for your player that they are more or less forcing you to buy VC and that sucks. But people keep doing it and they make a killing off of it because the online community is so competitive, so why would they stop?

I hope they see this as a time to do a new engine for the new consoles coming out next year. They did a pretty admirable job of trying to minimize the awkward/brokenness that is the mess they inherited but not a whole lot has changed after those first two or three years of smoothing things out.

• 2 weeks later...

NBA2K is fugging amazing. The graphics are top notch. The gameplay is incredible. The only thing that sucks is trying to get your character built up t a superstar level. You need to play it, the new game will be out soon. 

And WWE2k sounds like it'll be great...but I read it's focusing a lot on the Divas. Sorry but I'm not into playing Divas all the time...fug that.
And I'm worried what the game will be like next year-since the split between the companies. And damn, it's about time to allow us to put our OWN MUSIC in the game for our created character! Hell they allowed it on the 360 version...give the fans what they want!

• Like 1

Yeah, I want to like it but it's so poorly done. It took several guesses to figure out the guy on the left was Aleister Black (I eventually saw his thigh tattoo after zooming in on my phone). That Orton attempt is befitting, as it's incredibly fucking lazy. FrankenBraun is okay tho.

Shaun of the Dead Sheamus can eat shit because it's still Sheamus.  Voldemorton could eat shit because they're not going to call him Voldemorton

Whatever these story towers are included with the pack are probably fucking awesome.  But like probably only to me?

Creepy and Spooky arenas?  As someone who would almost play in Halloween Havoc arenas exclusively, uh yeah please

I haven't watched WWE since shittymania or the ppv after it I forget which.  But goddamn

Edited by Tromatagon

53 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Great news that the Fiend is in. Guess I'll be pre-ordering. 

The 2K Originals concept is cool, and different, but I can't help but feel like it's a waste of resources when so many other parts of the game are broken year after year. That's my only qualm.

That's stuck on my mind also.  The pack looks pretty cool but they always tend to add bonus stuff to a game that needs the core mechanics worked on.  Even if VC is lending support to it it's still the same game.  That said having The Fiend in the game is pretty tempting but I hate that they always get me with something like that.  That and I'm trying not to give them anymore money aside from the Network and I feel like a hypocrite as it is for that.

9 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

You either have to look for something different in this game to enjoy it or stop playing.  They're not fixing shit.  They never fix shit.  It's been twenty years.

Fair point- I missed a big chunk of them and just picked it back up a couple of years ago. Maybe next gen is where those kinda improvements are made

...FrankenStroman. Sow these hands?!

Playable character.
I gotta admit, I'm stoked for this first DLC pack-I skipped last year's game and I've regretted not being able to play the classic Matt Hardy Crazy Universe. And with all the spooky Halloweenish type stuff I'ma sucker for anyways, this DLC pack has me frothing at the mouth-no matter how cheezy it is. I just hope the gameplay is great and I really wish they'd allow us to use our own music for create-a-character.

I wonder if they'll have some unique Halloween Havoc stuff?
I did see two new arenas based on the Spookyness-something about a Swamp Arena and then a Cemetary one as well.

We can hope...right?

• 2 weeks later...