DVDVR Message Board

NXT - AUGUST 2019

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

It's not like NXT is really that much different than either right now.

True but I think it'll go more towards the variety show format of other the other show and I suspect that the matches will be worked more towards WWE house style and not the PWG-style that the main events tend to veer towards

Actually, an interesting thought experiment would be what if NXT succeeds. 

If it stays largely the same, with the faster-paced style and less 50/50 booking etc, it will def have more critical acclaim. What if it's a ratings hit, though?

History says when things get successful that don't align with Vince's vision he tends to destroy them. 

The fuck is Jericho talking about anyway?

Regarding NXT's already existing similarities to the main shows - has anyone worked out the time spent on video packages/replays vs. time spent on new segments in any given hour of NXT? I haven't, but my gut tells me it's pretty damn close to the main shows already.

8 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Regarding NXT's already existing similarities to the main shows - has anyone worked out the time spent on video packages/replays vs. time spent on new segments in any given hour of NXT? I haven't, but my gut tells me it's pretty damn close to the main shows already.

No needless 20 minute monologues to start every show, no McMahons getting over on all the wrestlers, and having storylines that are logical and actually pay off in the ring.  That's what I like about NXT.  If we keep that, I'm going to be as happy as anyone about the change, but I don't trust those motherfuckers.  

I'm not going to clutch my pearls just yet. NXT has been getting stale for a while now (the last two Takeovers were mediocre at best) so I don't think simply moving platforms and extending the show will necessarily change much for the worse. Personally, I'm probably going to ditch the network after this as NXT was the main thing I used it for.

Is NXT really that flawless? There may not be 20 minute promos, but there are lots of segments building up to the Takeovers that seem overly drawn out or unnecessary. They also aren't always great at payoffs. Ember Moon didn't get her big win over Asuka and is still suffering from it. I don't know where the arduous Gargano arc is supposed to be now, but it doesn't look like it's in danger of paying off any time soon.

I can't stop anyone from winding themselves up over possible negative things happening in the future, but I feel like a wait-and-see approach would be the smartest and safest one to take.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Implying that AEW is the whole reason that NXT is going to Cable TV, because Jericho (and the Rhodes') love poking the bear.

• Thanks 1

I believe Jericho is saying that if AEW hadn’t formed NXT wouldn’t be expanding or going to USA so you should thank him for AEW

I mean there are a lot of flaws in that but Jericho has decided to be the one to embrace the full on “War” attitude 

If anything, making it weekly is only going to tighten up the story-lines.  Just look at this year alone, main roster meddling affected Gargano/Ciampa, The Viking Raiders title run and Kairi getting called up making them change the Io heel turn to Candice just name a few. 

Edited by nofuture

I prefer an canned show rather than a live one - it helps with the pacing and the integration of the videos and backstage segments. If it's shown on the network the next day, all the commercials and USA bumpers will be removed, so how is that going to play out? Or will there be further edits to get it down to one hour? The desire to please the USA Network is going to warp the dynamic of the show as it is now - "money changes everything" - the Brains & Cyndi Lauper.

- RAF

15 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I took it as it being in line with what Jericho's been saying in AEW asking them to thank him for it existing.  So it seems he decided to extend that and people either don't get it and/or think it's stupid.  I'm leaning towards the latter though he did have a very positive tweet about NXT before that so who knows.

Worse come to worse he can just blame it on the vodka...again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

If it's shown on the network the next day, all the commercials and USA bumpers will be removed, so how is that going to play out? Or will there be further edits to get it down to one hour?

If it’s on demand, then the length fitting into an hour or other set time period doesn’t really matter.

Some interesting news this morning from Meltzer. First, all developmental deals are going to be changed to main roster deals - so pretty much everyone in NXT is getting a raise, it seems. He theorizes that the next logical step would be upping the pay scale for new hires so they don't go to AEW. He doesn't go into how this affects the people on the Florida loops or still at the PC, though.

He goes on to say that, as long as ratings don't take a nosedive, Triple H is going to remain in charge and NXT won't be any different than it is now (just an hour longer). Dunn & Vince won't be hands on, especially since Vince hardly has time right now and especially come January with the XFL. But if Vince has a suggestion, it's likely to happen, since it's his company and it's on cable TV now.

1) I’d assume “everyone in NXT” means the people getting regular airtime, possibly those also doing road trips but not on TV much if at all (Dio Madden, Mansoor, Babatunde(?)).

2) “If” Vince has a suggestion likely tells us everything we need to know.

Dave suggested that if ratings are fine then Vince won't touch it.  But he also suggested that if ratings aren't what they want them to be then you can pretty much count on Vince getting involved.   It's a no brainer.  It's on USA and it's in a competition against a rival promotion.  Of course Vince is going to be involved. 

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave suggested that if ratings are fine then Vince won't touch it.  But he also suggested that if ratings aren't what they want them to be then you can pretty much count on Vince getting involved.   It's a no brainer.  It's on USA and it's in a competition against a rival promotion.  Of course Vince is going to be involved. 

So either watch NXT to ensure it doesn't get ruined by Vince or watch AEW and see/hear about NXT getting ruined.  Sure sounds like a tough choice.  But I'm sure there's those that'll watch both the same day even on DVR for all we know this could be much ado about nothing.