DVDVR Message Board

NXT - AUGUST 2019

RIPPA

37 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wonder if this means that NXT is going to be on a 1 or 2 month delay on the Network like RAW and Smackdown is currently?

Someone on Twitter said they got an email saying the show would go up on the Network the following day

43 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wait we have to deal with NXT Takeover version of Mauro EVERY WEEK?   I can tolerate him for an hour but 2 hours man.  SAVE.US.VIC

I can't see Mauro doing commentary for NXT for too long into this deal. I think one of the allures for him switching to NXT was it wasn't a weekly commitment. This definitely changes that for him.

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm enjoying the pearl clutching about how NXT is going to be ruined or that suddenly Vince is punching down on AEW.

NXT is the only wrestling I actually care about, so I'm kind of pissed that they're changing it.  I can't sit through Raw or Smackdown, it's just everything I hate in wrestling.  The fear that the thing I love is going to change into the thing I hate is really irritating the shit out of me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

NXT is the only wrestling I actually care about, so I'm kind of pissed that they're changing it.  I can't sit through Raw or Smackdown, it's just everything I hate in wrestling.  The fear that the thing I love is going to change into the thing I hate is really irritating the shit out of me.

I understand this (and I know you aren't the only one I know who feels this way) but the only thing we know for sure at the moment is that the show will be 2 hours.

The current NXT product doesn't have commercials. This new version will so in reality it is only an extra 20 minutes.

Shouldn't we be waiting and seeing exactly what happens before grabbing the torches and pitchforks or have we all gotten to the point that we rather say it now so when it does go to hell in a handbasket we can say "I told you so!"

(I am using the Royal "we" here BTW)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I understand this (and I know you aren't the only one I know who feels this way) but the only thing we know for sure at the moment is that the show will be 2 hours.

The current NXT product doesn't have commercials. This new version will so in reality it is only an extra 20 minutes.

Shouldn't we be waiting and seeing exactly what happens before grabbing the torches and pitchforks or have we all gotten to the point that we rather say it now so when it does go to hell in a handbasket we can say "I told you so!"

Theoretically, yes we should wait.  But when you catch your next door neighbor--who has been convicted of arson, and hates your guts--outside of your house playing with matches...should you just assume he's playing with matches?  About 10 years ago when I stopped watching Raw week to week, I was talking to a friend of mine.  I remember saying something to the effect of, "I've loved wrestling for as long as I can remember, and they've ruined it for me.  I don't know if they could make me hate their product more if they asked me how to make me hate their wrestling show."  Basically what I'm saying is, Vince McMahon and the WWE have burned down my wrestling fandom before, and now I'm looking at the only wrestling show I care about and they're playing with matches.

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have a lot of questions and a truckton of reservations about the move to USA.  As much as I'd love to speculate and fear for the worst I'm just accepting the fact that we just won't know until it premieres.  At this point I'd be pleasantly surprised if it stays largely the same but at 2 hours.  But if it does to shit I wouldn't be surprised and would just accept that I'll be fast forwarding it more and watching AEW instead.

• Like 1

The good:

1) More opportunities for NXT talent to be exposed to a wider audience/be featured in prominent roles (and I hope their pay increases as a result). 

The bad:

1) Gonna be really, really hard for newer acts to be featured. NXT is already heavy with people who don't need "developmental." 

2) Chances are absolutely zero that the main roster guys and storylines won't  bleed over into the show, especially if the ratings aren't what they expect immediately. 

3) This one kind of contradicts 2 but the other issue is if they grow disinterested in it and it becomes Main Event 2.0. ME was supposed to be an A-level show when it got on WGN and they gave up. They gave up on WWECW. The track record is pretty glaring here. 

Really hard to see this as a positive except it'll expose guys to a wider audience, even if it turns them in NXT lifers. 

NXT absolutely needed to be shaken up and I think most people agreed on that.

They certainly have the roster to fill more time. This could easily be the breakthrough that people lost in the shuffle need. 

Until we get Commissioner Stephanie and the same tiny fraction of the roster across three shows instead of two, it isn't time to burn the internet down.

Unless the extra 20 minutes is filled with Johnny Gargano. THEN fuck this company. 

8 minutes ago, Hagan said:

It's going to be be patterned after Raw and SD in format and tone. Literally zero chance it's not.

Same 15 people in top rotation, kickout heavy "epics", announcers not being great.  Shit, it already is, just a little more on the PWG side.

• Like 1