DVDVR Message Board

NXT - AUGUST 2019

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I mean, there's plenty of us folks on here who follow the indys closely and never have any of us ever hyped up Patrick Clark or whatever his indy name was, so labeling a virtual unknown indy dude who was clearly developed and brought to stardom in a WWE environment an "indy darling" is a huge reach.

This is all true, and that is my whole point.

Someone like Patrick Clark who has little to no indy experience to speak of is obviously not an indy darling- and the reason he's so good is because of WWE.

However, he's in that level of "well, Patrick Clark is GOOD, so he can't possibly be a WWE product. He HAS to be an indie darling, because only indie darlings can possibly be talented!" to these people. And if there's even one person in the whole wide world who thinks that, it's one too many. 

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

This is all true, and that is my whole point.

Someone like Patrick Clark who has little to no indy experience to speak of is obviously not an indy darling- and the reason he's so good is because of WWE.

However, he's in that level of "well, Patrick Clark is GOOD, so he can't possibly be a WWE product. He HAS to be an indie darling, because only indie darlings can possibly be talented!" to these people. And if there's even one person in the whole wide world who thinks that, it's one too many. 

Who are these strawmen you've been arguing with?  I've never heard anyone say anything remotely close to that until you brought it up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright, that entire discussion is bizarre.

5 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Is it true Vince and Dunn are taking it over from Hunter?

I've read folks bring this up elsewhere, but I've never seen anyone really report this yet.

I honestly hope not.

13 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Alright, that entire discussion is bizarre.

I've read folks bring this up elsewhere, but I've never seen anyone really report this yet.

I honestly hope not.

Again - it is the reporters (Meltzer, Keller, etc) making the assumptions that since it is a "war" and the show is now on USA - that Vince will be involved.

There hasn't been an official word from the WWE

I think many assume it is still going to be HHH doing the day to day and then Vince will swoop in Wed afternoon and re-write the entire show like he does with SDL

NXT getting another hour and going live will be interesting. It was kind of inevitable even w/o AEW though that had to have pushed this even faster to happen. I wonder if they will still mostly tape at Full Sail. I kind of hope they do. I think it will generally be ok as long as HHH still remains in charge. 

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Again - it is the reporters (Meltzer, Keller, etc) making the assumptions that since it is a "war" and the show is now on USA - that Vince will be involved.

There hasn't been an official word from the WWE

I think many assume it is still going to be HHH doing the day to day and then Vince will swoop in Wed afternoon and re-write the entire show like he does with SDL

If that's the case then I may as well just not bother recording it.  I at least know what Raw and SD are but the idea of NXT turning into that will be incredibly sad to see.  But at least they decided to debut it before AEW so people can what they have to offer.

I'm also of the assumption that once the USA show starts that means however long it takes a Raw or SD episode to be on the Network will be the same for NXT.  And it's also going to be interesting to see how the crowds are for these shows compared to the tapings.

I'd think at least for the first few weeks, you're going to see main roster people show up to help goose the ratings a bit.  NXT is at a crossroads a bit where creatively, they're a bit stale right now where not much is going on.  They have a big enough roster to fill two hours and hopefully the tag and women's division get more attention.

24 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Is it true Vince and Dunn are taking it over from Hunter?

It's not a matter of truth, it's a matter of inevitability.

• Sad 1

Just now, Gorman said:

This means everyone from NXT has been called up to the main roster. NXT is the main roster.

Which would explain more and more people from NXT showing up at EVOLVE shows. 

I have fun at Full Sail, but no way would I go weekly. If they begin airing weekly from there, I'd go once or twice a month and would probably skip the live events.

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Are we sure NXT on USA is a live show?   

(Also MYC '19 is starting soon, right?)

The pre-head to head ones might be taped but all reports say it was going to be live once it was against AEW

The question was, was it always going to be at Full Sail or it would it be going to other locations too

(There was also talk that they MIGHT do one show live and tape a second but that might only be if they visit West Coast locations)

If they aren't live then AEW could spoil the results  "Yeah so Adam Cole jobs to the returning Baron Corbin tonight,  in other news..."   

Not that they would pull a Bischoff but they could,  I don't think WWE will allow themselves to be open to that despite it blowing up in Bischoff's face. 

3 minutes ago, nofuture said:

It's not like WWE doesn't spoil NXT tapings stuff already or title changes when Raw/Smackdown are in Europe.  I don't think that's as big deal in this day and age.

I hear you but I would also expect USA wanting them to be live because cable companies and stations believe that "live sports" are the only thing that are DVR proof (though WWE is not nearly as DVR proof as football or basketball). 

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I do find it curious that the biggest homegrown talents they have right now are all black.  The Street Profits, Bianca Belair, and Velveteen Dream are about as over as anyone on the entire roster.  Two are champions, and the third probably should be.  

While it took you saying this for me to realize it, it's pretty goddamn nifty to see. To go a little deeper and away from NXT, you could also include Kofi in that batch. He spent almost no time on the indies, he signed his developmental deal in September of 2006 after making his wrestling debut in June and came all the way up through their in-house system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Not sure about that. Given the reactions NXT gets and the crowds they draw regularly to house shows, I'd say that's pretty debatable. Wasn't NXT one of the most watched shows for a while on the Network? Even outdrawing various WWE PPV's?

NXT fans are typically also WWE fans, but the opposite isn't necessarily true. There have been multiple instances of NXT alumni debuting on WWE shows with no buildup that have come out to weak reactions. WWE essentially sabotaged Emma's first main roster run by thinking "everyone will know this from NXT." The group of callups that showed up late last year are still suffering from the viewpoint of "hey, let's just throw these NXT people on TV because everyone knows who they are." Have you seen EC3 get a strong reaction on the main roster at any point?

I've never seen anything that has indicated that NXT has had more viewers than a live PPV during that week. I'm sure it's outdrawn old Manias or something. NXT shows are run in much, much smaller venues than WWE shows. The fans that do attend might come off as more excited on TV because they're the hardcore fans (i.e. us), but that isn't really something you can translate to numbers. If the aborted 205 house shows had been followed through on, booked in smaller venues like NXT, with tickets sold to people that are actually there to see the Cruisers, I'm sure the crowds would look a lot more lively. 205 isn't a failure - it's one of the most-watched network shows each week just like NXT - it just comes off a lot worse because of the circumstances.

1 minute ago, grilledcheese said:

While it took you saying this for me to realize it, it's pretty goddamn nifty to see. To go a little deeper and away from NXT, you could also include Kofi in that batch. He spent almost no time on the indies, he signed his developmental deal in September of 2006 after making his wrestling debut in June and came all the way up through their in-house system.

That's a good point.  When they finally realize what they have in Big E, they'll have another one. 

This is something I realized when they debuted ACH and Shane Strickland and is kind of an issue with Keith Lee...but what are their characters supposed to be?  There is a reason Bianca Belair, Velveteen, and the Street Profits actually ended up in a place to show off their skills, and it's because their character work is just as good if not better than their ring work.  ACH is a good wrestler, but "he wears a vest" is not a character.  Keith Lee telling people to "Bask in his Glory" only goes so far if there isn't a character behind it.  They gave all of the guys in the tournament those little profile interviews before their matches, and I honestly couldn't tell you anything about what any of those characters are supposed to be.   You know what I do remember?  Dexter Lumis, and all the creepy shit he did once he got in the ring.  I want to see all of these people succeed, but there is nothing that is making you want to root for way too many of these guys.  Seriously, Candice LeRae should be really over as a babyface, but her character is Johnny Gargano's wife.  She's clearly talented enough to do more, but there is only so much getting her ass kicked by the next heel is going to get her.  What if they made Mia Yim the smart ass person she is on the internet instead of a crip cosplayer?  They don't have to go overboard and introduce a new age Duke the Dumpster Droese, but they all need a character that is deeper than a catchphrase, a dance move, or their entrance attire.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1