DVDVR Message Board

RIP Harley Race

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I love the story (usually told by the Front Row Section D guys) about Dusty bringing in Harley to JCP to give Magnum a little humility. 

That's pretty awesome.  I never heard of Harley in this role, but another man I have nothing but the absolute highest level of respect for, Gene Lebell, had some great stories about being an enforcer like that.  Is this story written out anywhere I could read it?

I can only hope the man is at peace now. He lived a long hard life.

As with most things Memphis, I wish this was in better quality. But this blows away any promo I've seen probably in the last decade if not longer. I'd love to see the match that caused him to get this pissed off.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Harley was good at everything.

My favorite story is when Owen spiked his chili with extreme hot sauce so he snuck into the locker room right after Owen showered and stuck a stun gun right up his butt.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP

It was basically like the ending to the Cactus/Vader death match but more hilarious.

Don't fuck with Harley Race or his chili.

Before I came back to this thread and that story came up there too

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Before I came back to this thread and that story came up there too

You don't screw with a man's chili, you just don't.

Harley Ray would make for a solid name for a wrestler trying to do a Harley Race tribute act. And it works for either gender.

the whole “All Star Wrestling” branding was strong enough that one time I was with my parents in a restaurant that was playing a UFC show (before UFC moved from Fox to ESPN) and one of them asked if “that was all-Star wrestling”. So it’s possible for any territory to generate some degree of brand awareness.

On checking the Wikipedia for Memorial Hall: (1) it’ll have its 100th anniversary in 2025 provided it doesn’t fall over or get urban renewaled away, (2) it has hosted MMA recently, and (3) Thursday night would be pro wrestling night at that venue.

I’m reading some KC media types on Twitter who are tweeting about Race dying too.

The first time ever saw Harley Race live, Blackjack Mulligan piledrove on the concrete floor of the Norfolk Scope.  Being that it was the mid seventies, imagine my surprise that he survived that night. Man,  Harley Race was fucking great.

• Like 6

Longish clip here with promos from Tommy Rich and Austin Idol leading into their match and Harley's ensuing appearance, with kooky chaos ensuing.

"Pure gold... and I've got it."

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

More of this stuff needs to make it onto the network. Just a random tag match in Italy with Harley busting a move down to the ring.

Not too shabby for a white boy from KC, the man could do it all.

• Like 2

I just got off work and the first thing I noticed was some quoting there Father's reaction of Harley's death. 

I'll admit most of the Matches of his I've seen was from the WWE 24/7 stuff I got from torrent sites 10 years ago or so. He was way more giving than he needed to but he still come across as any less menacing. 

Xpac retweeted my favorite quote from him. " "What's your finish.....I'll move"

My other favorite story is about how he'd ask for his opponents wrist before a match, he'd check the wrist be going out to measure the bone density and determine how stiff he'd work that person in a match.

He Probably had the best run of matches with Hulk of all the former NWA champions. 

I really want to go check out his All Japan work first. 

12 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

My other favorite story is about how he'd ask for his opponents wrist before a match, he'd check the wrist be going out to measure the bone density and determine how stiff he'd work that person in a match.

You gotta be shitting me. That's crazy. 

Anyways, you wanted some AJPW, so here's a whole boatload of Jumbo vs. Mr. Puroresu

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3