DVDVR Message Board

RIP Harley Race

Harley is someone I always thought gave far too much. You didn't want to see Harley stooge and sell. You wanted to see him absolutely crush people.

That said, when he was tasked to put a new talent over, a new talent who was going to be a massive babyface in the territory and was a virtual unknown, just look at what he could accomplish:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The greatest NWA Champion of my lifetime has passed. No one epitomized the title "Champion" better than Race, sure, most of this board grew up with Ric Flair in the spot, but Flair was always theatrics and humor mixed into his matches. Race was always all business until the end of his career working for Vince. As a twenty-something, if you ever asked me who I would want to have my back in a bar fight, the answer without hesitation was Harley Race. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rest in Peace to the King.

Now, Harley joins the rest of his 1988 Survivor Series teammates (Andre, Hennig, Rude, Bravo, even Heenan and Frenchy Martin). The first Survivor Series team where every member has passed away.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Sad 8

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

harleyrace.jpg

If the Grim Reaper had skin he'd be covered in bruises right now. 

RIP

I said in another thread that Superst*r Billy Graham looked like a champion should look. Harley Race looked like the toughest SOB in the room (and he probably was).

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rest in Peace to the King.

Now, Harley joins the rest of his 1988 Survivor Series teammates (Andre, Hennig, Rude, Bravo, even Heenan and Frenchy Martin). The first Survivor Series team where every member has passed away.

God damn, that's something. 

RIP, Harley.  Glad I got a chance to see him work in person, even if it was in his latter years (1986 and 1990)

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Harley was good at everything.

My favorite story is when Owen spiked his chili with extreme hot sauce so he snuck into the locker room right after Owen showered and stuck a stun gun right up his butt.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP

It was basically like the ending to the Cactus/Vader death match but more hilarious.

Don't fuck with Harley Race or his chili.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Just adding something: don't forget that Race turned down a quarter mil from Vince to no show Starrcade, then beat Vince's ass when Vince got pissed off at the rebuke and tried to legdive him.  An honorable man and a badass.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 12

I got tears in my eyes. Harley was my favorite of all time and was a guy raised on East Coast/Capitol/Titan stuff. I mean thr Apter mags really sold me on how great Harley was and when I finally got ot see him work by watching World Class he just had this... aura of older guy at the bar toughness

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

So with the new handhelds and AJPW TV that came out in the last year, we were able to isolate and post some matches:

including a new Race title defense vs Tiger Chung Lee

By far the coolest match was this one vs Tenryu, because it feels like the Race we were promised, the race that James is going on about. Not a Race that stooges and gives and gives (or that tags in and gives and gives and loses the advantage which is what you got in Japan a lot, even in those other matches I posted), but a dominant destroyer against a great seller in Tenryu:

• Like 3