DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

The NL Wild Card is a massive clusterfuck right now, with 6 teams all within 4 1/2 games of the final spot.  (It's so cute that the Mets think they still have a shot.)

The AL Wild Card is a shootout between Tampa, Oakland, and Boston.  Should be a fun month ahead.  

V44AS5LFRFFVFPDX3XJSVSQC4A.jpg

Forty years ago Friday, around 5:30 in the afternoon, a major-league baseball game froze.

The batter stepped from the plate and walked to the dugout. Players in the field also turned away, staring instead at the big scoreboard in right field. The tiny crowd went silent.

Decades before Twitter and Facebook, years before the internet or even cell phones, there was no way people would get the news on their own. Players, fans and nearly everyone else in Shea Stadium that hot Thursday learned together, via one sentence that quietly appeared on the scoreboard: “Yankee catcher Thurman Munson was killed today in plane crash near Canton-Ohio.”

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

V44AS5LFRFFVFPDX3XJSVSQC4A.jpg

I remember the day very well. I cried like a baby. You see, Thurman was the "fat kid" that proved he could play in the majors, I was the fat kid that worked my ass off to be an effective and occasionally very good shortstop. As much as I have always hated the Yankees, Thurman Munson was one of my heroes.

• Sad 1

Thurman Munson is my sister's all time favorite player so I got to listen to her bitch for like a week that the Yanks weren't doing anything for the 40th anniversary.

Today she realized that Diane Munson is throwing out the first pitch tonight so she is off to stalk Mrs. Munson... again (Diane Munson knows my sister by name - I joke that it is because she is in the process of filling out the restraining order)

• Like 2

Thurman Munson was my favorite player as a kid and remains so to this day. To me he was the epitome of a tough  ballpalyer who wasn't afraid ot get down and dirty. If I ever equated him with a wrstler I for some reason think of Harley Race in that both were gutsy, tough and didn't take shit while beoth beign excellent at their jobs.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

Very few things happened during my childhood where I can remember exactly where I was when I heard about them.  Munson's death was one of those few, though I didn't hear about it till a few days afterwards.  I clearly remember my father telling me when my parents came to pick me up from my first time at summer camp.

I love the story about Munson catching for Goose Gossage and just motioning to bring the heat - not bothering with signals, not even attempting to hide them from the batter. Goose called timeout and told Munson something along the lines of "can we at least try to fool them?" Thurman just grinned and responded "Who are you trying to fool?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yo, that sucks. I totally understand the business side of this, and the idea that as an FA signing, he has underperformed. But goddamn, that seems so fantastically heartless to cut him loose 2 days after he comes back.

• Like 1

In a fun little quirk - JA Happ and David Price are starting against each other on Sunday. They both were placed on the paternity list yesterday (they are both expected to still start Sunday night)

21 hours ago, Pete said:

I love the story about Munson catching for Goose Gossage and just motioning to bring the heat - not bothering with signals, not even attempting to hide them from the batter. Goose called timeout and told Munson something along the lines of "can we at least try to fool them?" Thurman just grinned and responded "Who are you trying to fool?"

Goose was a fantastic pitcher but obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, he had one pitch, an overpowering fastball and everyone knew what was coming. The question was how do you hit something that's coming at nearly 100 mph.? Knowing what's coming and being able to do something about it are two very different things.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Tale of two starts for Stroman and Sanchez today. 

Stroman 4-1/3, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

sanchez 6.0, 0 H, 0ER, 2 BB, 6 K 

No....let's not minimize what happened today. SANCHEZ AND BIAGINI HELPED THROW A NO HITTER TODAY.

Someone please remind me about the genius of Atkins and Shapiro and how great they are at making trades lol

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

No....let's not minimize what happened today. SANCHEZ AND BIAGINI HELPED THROW A NO HITTER TODAY.

Someone please remind me about the genius of Atkins and Shapiro and how great they are at making trades lol

Too bad it wasn’t Osuna getting the save.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Too bad it wasn’t Osuna getting the save.

Really at this point if the Astros are interested in trading for one of your pitchers you should really evaluate whatever it is you’re doing your pitcher wrong by because the Astros are gonna figure it out and turn him into a good pitcher somehow

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nelson Cruz hit 3 HRs in a game for the second time in 10 days

I think he's fairly determined to join the 400 career HR Club this season. He just needs ten more.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Meanwhile, Derek Fisher caught a pop-up with his face.

What do you expect from a retired point guard? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2