DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING GIFS.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Dammit Pete, don't derail the "Alexa is garbage, BURN HER!" narrative!

Not my intention.  I was legitimately asking how difficult it is to throw a worked punch that makes contact, but doesn't harm your opponent.  That punch doesn't look good, because it looks like she misses it by a decent margin (Kairi's exaggerated dazed selling probably makes it look worse).  Doc's looks good, because it does make contact (just barely), and Kobashi sells it like death.  I ask, because I remember reading Foley's book and it is something he actually brought up with both Vader and Terry Funk.  Both are guys who throw punches that look like they hurt, and it's because they actually hurt.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Not my intention.  I was legitimately asking how difficult it is to throw a worked punch that makes contact, but doesn't harm your opponent.  That punch doesn't look good, because it looks like she misses it by a decent margin (Kairi's exaggerated dazed selling probably makes it look worse).  Doc's looks good, because it does make contact (just barely), and Kobashi sells it like death.  I ask, because I remember reading Foley's book and it is something he actually brought up with both Vader and Terry Funk.  Both are guys who throw punches that look like they hurt, and it's because they actually hurt.  

I remember Becky Lynch on her rise up the WWE ranks last year asking Jerry Lawler how he threw great punches. Here's the video:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

It’s better when punches are used sparingly and by the right people since they are illegal because of the damage they theoretically do.

I can’t get the gif to work of Kawada punching Shibata to win their match ( he gives him one last kick on the way to the pin) after they kick, slap, elbow, knee, chop, etc. most the match.  But that punch when Kawada unloads it and the selling is incredible. The camera angles always help, too. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I remember Becky Lynch on her rise up the WWE ranks last year asking Jerry Lawler how he threw great punches. Here's the video:

The end part of the video is exactly what I’ve been saying for years. Selling the punch is the most important part. No matter how good the punch can look, it falls apart as soon as the wrestler taking it just stands there barely flinching for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

It’s better when punches are used sparingly and by the right people since they are illegal because of the damage they theoretically do.

I can’t get the gif to work of Kawada punching Shibata to win their match ( he gives him one last kick on the way to the pin) after they kick, slap, elbow, knee, chop, etc. most the match.  But that punch when Kawada unloads it and the selling is incredible. The camera angles always help, too. 

I always loved the way Kawada would work a punch into a match. He always made it seem like the dirtiest and most effective move in wrestling so whenever he did connect with it he got across how much of a desperation move it was but also how not sorry he was to use it.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 2

One of the things I stumbled across on YouTube a while back are videos Al Snow did with The Hannibal where he held some classes with students in the ring. There's some really entertaining stuff there and some pretty good shoot interviews, my personal favorite being his story about his match with Bruiser Brody.

In one of the videos, he talks to the students about punches in wrestling.

13 hours ago, FireThunder said:

In one of the videos, he talks to the students about punches in wrestling.

I watched those a while back, and I came away with a negative opinion of Al Snow after that. Especially because of the worked punch video. It screamed to me like “I’m bad at throwing worked punches, so don’t expect me to teach you”, or maybe that’s how he was taught so he’s repeating his teachers speech verbatim. Admittedly, I agreed with his sentiment at one point. Especially depending on what the companies booking style is. But to act like a worked punch can’t work, unless it’s a finish, is preposterous. 

To me, if you can throw a believable worked punch. Then fucking do it. The last thing I need as a booker is another guy who fucked up his arm because he’s throwing too many meaty chops. But the other guys gotta fucking sell it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I throw worked punches like Necro Butcher did, just punch the person in the face as hard as you can and instead of letting them do the same to me, I run out of the arena.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 2:25 PM, supremebve said:

All you would have had to say to me is, "you're going out there to wrestle Van Hammer tonight," and I wouldn't do anything even remotely risky.  I'm not killing myself trying to have a good match with someone that terrible.

Yet Mick had the best match of the night and got a bonus from the Cowboy for it. 

• Like 1