DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

The answer is neither are legit, just do to the fact that neither have a physical “Hall”. I’ll give the edge to Meltzer’s, though. Probably because Kevin Nash, and Shawn Michaels should not be allowed to re-enter as many times as they have in a place of fame.

I honestly wonder how desperate the WWE will get with their entrants in the future when they run out of 80’s, and 90’s guys. Could we see them scrape the bottom of the barrel to get a legend on their, and have The New Mega Powers (Hogan & Brutus) get inducted? Or will they say fuck it, and put Rodney Mack in? Pretend fans remember what the “White Boy Challenge” was.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The answer is neither are legit, just do to the fact that neither have a physical “Hall”. I’ll give the edge to Meltzer’s, though. Probably because Kevin Nash, and Shawn Michaels should not be allowed to re-enter as many times as they have in a place of fame.

Im a Bret guy, but even I have to admit that Shawn Michaels is one of the best to ever do it. It's crazy to say that man hasn't had a HOF career. 

8 hours ago, BEN! said:

Vince, Sr. was the promoter.  The WWE story is he worked his way up to manager of Turner's Arena.  The sole source of that seems to be the WWE video package of him running around with a towel.  I don't question his importance to Vince, Sr. as a loyal employee or his inclusion in the WWE HOF but there's no need to trump up some accolades to justify his inclusion since it's a HOF with no standards at all other than the whims of one mad man.

Dudley was also Vince Sr.'s bodyguard.

32 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Im a Bret guy, but even I have to admit that Shawn Michaels is one of the best to ever do it. It's crazy to say that man hasn't had a HOF career. 

ACTUALLY

it depends a bit on the criteria. For instance. Was Shawn a draw on top in 1996? Was Shawn a draw on top in the 00s? How much credit do you give for Shawn in 98 relative to Tyson? Does Shawn's pluses as an ace make up for his minuses (temper tantrums in matches, sabotaging guys, being unreliable, etc.)? 

All of this has been pretty heavily litigated in places over the years.

Is his influence in-ring actually a good thing for the business? For wrestlers' health? For match quality? Do we have a Seth Rollins stinking up the joint on top and thinking he's having workrate classics if not for Shawn Michaels? etc. 

I'm not saying Shawn doesn't get in, but the numbers aren't great, especially if you just leave it for when he DID get in to the WON HOF (2003) basically on the back of a failed run on top in 96 and a lot of spotty stuff in the couple of years after. 

He's generally a work candidate in the end.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

ACTUALLY

it depends a bit on the criteria. For instance. Was Shawn a draw on top in 1996? Was Shawn a draw on top in the 00s? How much credit do you give for Shawn in 98 relative to Tyson? Does Shawn's pluses as an ace make up for his minuses (temper tantrums in matches, sabotaging guys, being unreliable, etc.)? 

All of this has been pretty heavily litigated in places over the years.

Is his influence in-ring actually a good thing for the business? For wrestlers' health? For match quality? Do we have a Seth Rollins stinking up the joint on top and thinking he's having workrate classics if not for Shawn Michaels? etc. 

I'm not saying Shawn doesn't get in, but the numbers aren't great, especially if you just leave it for when he DID get in to the WON HOF (2003) basically on the back of a failed run on top in 96 and a lot of spotty stuff in the couple of years after. 

He's generally a work candidate in the end.

All fair to say, I honestly don't disagree with a word of this. When you say work candidate, that's a really great way of putting it 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is Mojo just by being employed by the biggest company, but not used outside of Main Event and chasing whomever the 24/7 champion is?

If I'm a wrestler and enjoy putting on matches that get time, tell a story, and get people invested, then WWE seems pretty soul crushing. 

Would you rather be Tom Brady's backup and win championships, but never play or go to a team where you'll play, maybe make a difference, but winning isn't a sure thing?

Even then, though, the question of Mojo Rawley being the best example because he's onscreen fails when you remember that Baron Corbin was one of Mojo's teammates on the Cardinals practice squad.

Shit, go with Roman Reigns for "former NFL'er".

10 hours ago, BEN! said:

Vince, Sr. was the promoter.  The WWE story is he worked his way up to manager of Turner's Arena.  The sole source of that seems to be the WWE video package of him running around with a towel.  I don't question his importance to Vince, Sr. as a loyal employee or his inclusion in the WWE HOF but there's no need to trump up some accolades to justify his inclusion since it's a HOF with no standards at all other than the whims of one mad man.

If the "running around with a towel" thing works for James Dudley, though, part of that was that Dudley's onscreen work was notable as being Bobo Brazil's hypeman and manager through the 1960s, and being more memorable than most of the 1960s managers.

It may not be a lot, but even that pushes him from "the line for induction" at least up to, say, Jimmy Hart's level (another "he wasn't the BEST manager of his time period by any means, but he was pretty good, he was memorable...yeah, he deserves to be in the HOF".) 

MLB doing a game at the Field of Dreams next year got me wondering - what vintage location could you run a retro show at that a) hasn’t been renovated to look like every other arena in the country, and b) isn’t dilapidated?

Examples of a) are MSG, Boston Garden, even the ECW arena looks fairly normal on TV. b) would be the Silverdome or the Sportatorium

Whats left? Obviously the Manhattan Center fits the bill and is awesome every time they do it. The Cow Palace?

16 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

MLB doing a game at the Field of Dreams next year got me wondering - what vintage location could you run a retro show at that a) hasn’t been renovated to look like every other arena in the country, and b) isn’t dilapidated?

Examples of a) are MSG, Boston Garden, even the ECW arena looks fairly normal on TV. b) would be the Silverdome or the Sportatorium

Whats left? Obviously the Manhattan Center fits the bill and is awesome every time they do it. The Cow Palace?

The Baltimore Arena is one that comes to mind, with its boxy upper bowl. I really liked the MSG overflow theater that they used for the Lion’s Den match, and smaller Tuesday Night Fight Cards.

msgthater.jpg

Hulu-Theater-Final-1200x650.jpg

Wish AEW, or WWE used it for non PPV events.

Also the WWE failed miserably with the Manhattan Center a while back ago. So they don’t get the benefit of the doubt with running special venues.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

35 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Trump Plaza The Atlantic City Convention Center!  (I kid, I kid).

I second the vote for the Baltimore Arena -- because it's my home town and the place where I saw my first ever wrestling show.  Hogan vs Beefcake was the main with a Tiger Chung Lee/Scott McGee broadway underneath.  No idea how I stayed a fan.

Edited by Technico Support

Didn't the Sportatorium get demolished years ago? I swear one of the Von Erich documentaries had Kevin going in one last time before it was torn down.

Showtime just did a boxing card at Royal Farms Arena for Gervonta Davis, and it looked great on TV. Some of that could be that Gervonta sold a bunch of tickets for his homecoming fight, but a lot of it is the old timey feel.

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Steroids aren't Vegan, John. Actually, fairly decent chance Aries was never on the gas. If we accept the proposition that Lance Storm is the best built athlete this side of a negative steroid test, Aries is leaner than that. Also, his lack of height creates a bulk illusion in his arms & legs. Callihan doesn't seem gassed to me either. He's gained weight lately, but not really muscle mass specifically. Might just be that he's sharing mealtimes with Jessica Havok nowadays, and she's a big Woman.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/redefining-pro-wrestlings-perfect-body-type

“I’m not going to tell you whether or not I’ve done them.” “If a normal person goes to see their doctor because of a persistent hamstring injury, you know what their doctor will probably prescribe? Steroids,” he writes in Food Fight. “Like every choice I’ve made that involves my body, I’ve been open-minded and done plenty of research.”

So yeah he's obv been on a cycle or three. But so has almost everybody else (in wrestling). There's two basic ways to put on muscle outside of 'newb gains': get fat (and then cut) or get roided. I exaggerate but not really. Sami Callihan probably decided the first option was more fun - he's kinda right too though you do have to get around to cutting at some point.

For lolz, here is the NattyOrNot profile on Rick Bugez fka Eric Bugenhagen: http://nattyornot.com/eric-bugenhagen-natural-or-a-needle-samurai/

Edited by ComingToAmerica