DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 minute ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

There's been a lot of water under the bridge, but there can be little doubt at this point that JBL is nothing less than a living saint. Its a turnaround no less amazing than when Shawn Michaels stopped being a massive dickhead overnight because he started believing in God

HBK never stopped being a dickhead, he just turned into to a different type of dickhead.  He was still the petulant unprofessional fuck he always was post going Born Again.

• Like 2

Back in the day, there was a feeling among Wrestling fans that small athletic wrestlers were good wrestlers, and that jacked up muscle guys were clumsy idiots. Which, whilst it might have been true in a lot of cases, a lot of guys got lumped in who might not have fit. Whether it's super athletic guys who weren't good, or pumping iron guys who were.

• Like 1

Luger trying to rack Roadblock and finally doing it to the pop of the crowd is one of my favorite Luger moments.

Also, Luger/Tatanka at KotR 1993 is my favorite forgettable match ever.

And God help me, I like his heel run toward the end of WCW, too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Luger trying to rack Roadblock and finally doing it to the pop of the crowd is one of my favorite Luger moments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I think opinions on Luger have largely been poisoned by shoot interview comments from other workers and Scott Keith opinions.

I’ve never really had a problem with his work but the only time he’s ever really entertained me was his brief run as Narcissist

SK actually loved Luger's pre-motorcycle accident stuff. He didn't really start slagging on Luger until he got to the WWF. SK liked Luger's pre-nWo smarmy heel "fake face" stuff with Sting in 95 and 96 but soured on his work again in 96/97. I can't say I blame him. I can't really think of too many good Luger matches from 96-99.

8 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I loved Flair joining up with Luger in Team Package. Flair had some ridiculous promo where he said something like, "I have 3 beautiful children, a big house, millions of dollars, 16 world titles but now...Woooooo....I'm on Team Package. Team Package....Yeah!......Team Package...Wooooo!" I really need to track that down on The Network.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Things I liked about Lex Luger:
- selling Great Muta's mist like he had been blasted with a shotgun
- the way he yelled "DOW!" every time he was punched

Things that confused me about Lex Luger:
- the nervous tic he had about constantly touching his groin during matches

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Back in the day, there was a feeling among Wrestling fans that small athletic wrestlers were good wrestlers, and that jacked up muscle guys were clumsy idiots. Which, whilst it might have been true in a lot of cases, a lot of guys got lumped in who might not have fit. Whether it's super athletic guys who weren't good, or pumping iron guys who were.

This is in no way confined to "back in the day."

• Like 3

I think this board is cured of it nowadays. But a lot of your "mainstream smart" fans who think Ziggler is better than Roman, yeah, they're stuck in the small = good mindset.

Edited by AxB
"of it", not "out if". I always used to spell episode epsidoe, but that was before he had edit reasons

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Things I liked about Lex Luger:
- selling Great Muta's mist like he had been blasted with a shotgun
- the way he yelled "DOW!" every time he was punched

tenor.gif?itemid=12106509

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

This is going to be one of those things I’ve never noticed that I’ll never be able to not see from now on isn’t it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

HBK never stopped being a dickhead, he just turned into to a different type of dickhead.  He was still the petulant unprofessional fuck he always was post going Born Again.

Isn't the only know case of HBK being an unprofessional dick post Born Again the Hogan match? 

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

His babyface promos after the Horsemen fucked him over are some of the best babyface promos you'll see. Wildly inconsistent on the mic (YOUR T-SHIRTS ARE TOO TIGHT, BILLY!) and as OSJ said, played to the level of his opponent but Luger rules. Shades of grey '96, being the WCW torchbearer during the early days of the nWo invasion while Sting was in the rafters (that fucking incredible ending of WW3 and of course the pop for him beating Hogan), the great '89 run, the Yokozuna feud... So much good shit. Always seemed to have his legs cut out from under him right when he was on the verge but I'm not entirely sure he would've been a mega star had NWA/WCW/WWF fully committed. It's almost like he was just a bit too clever for his own good and would over-complicate his verbiage where it wouldn't sound great or he'd trip over his words. Brother should've just kept it simple, stupid (like Hogan).

Plus, his legacy will live on forever in this fashion statement:

Image result for lex luger nitro debut

You can wear white after Labor Day and this show was on Labor Day I believe.  But damn he looks like MacGyver 2.0.     Go back and watch the old WCW Family Feud episodes from the early 90's and Luger always gave really thoughtful smart answers.  The guy is pretty smart. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I remember liking Luger vs. Pillman.    Fuck,  I think I like everything from Luger from like '87 through '97.   What's wrong with people?  He was awesome in the horsemen,  he was awesome as a singles heel act,  he was awesome as a babyface United States champion ass kicker,  he was awesome as a backstabbing son of bitch "friend" of Sting, he was great in the whole Lex Express thing and the feud with Yoko..   it's just that he didn't go over in a real way. 

I don't remember much about him as The Narcissist. 

Him taking the title off Hogan for a week was the highlight of Nitro that year. 

100% this

One of my all time favorites, always great to see Luger get some praise around. the Luger/Flair matches are some of my all time favorites, love GAB 88. Huge fan of the whole Call to Action Campaign with the Lex Express... the hidden Gem on the Network documenting the whole thing is greatness. SummerSlam 93 is one of my favs to rewatch. One of the all time great pops for the title win over Hogan. I wish he would've been able to continue wrestling longer or how he would've fit in the Invasion. Also I'm pretty sure Steamboat talked one time about a match he had with Luger where he let Luger call the match since he was the heel and it was one of their best matches together. Super underrated/often overlooked. The aforementioned promos after kicked out of the Horsemen were fantastic.  He comes off super cool in his most recent shoot from this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

No. My parents bought me WCW Halloween Havoc 1990 VHS. WCW VHS were difficult to get unlike readily available WWF. That was my introduction to Stan Hansen. Me and my Dad couldn't believe Hansen would defeat Lex Luger yet he did.

Same here.

At least in regards to it being my intro to Hansen. Not so much your parents buying me the VHS.

• Like 1