DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

3 hours ago, PB-13 said:

Apologies for the direction of the discussion. Back to the preferred topic at hand. #yaywrestling

Why apologize for something that was blessedly civil? You've done no wrong which stood out so much that it merits apology. 

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So I'm the only one who likes the Luger/Hansen feud in late '90? 

It's unfortunately difficult to find anyone who wants to praise something Luger was involved with. 

JBL just tweeted this. So can we finally start recognizing him as a great guy who has obviously grown?

"So glad Bermuda has sent a message to their homophobic, xenophobic government that enough is enough. Tomorrow I will march in Bermuda’s first Pride parade. Equality for all! Welcome to a dawn out of the dark ages." 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 11

46 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

JBL just tweeted this. So can we finally start recognizing him as a great guy who has obviously grown?

"So glad Bermuda has sent a message to their homophobic, xenophobic government that enough is enough. Tomorrow I will march in Bermuda’s first Pride parade. Equality for all! Welcome to a dawn out of the dark ages." 

Dude, this is the internet. Someone does something bad one time, they are crucified for life. 

Dude has been helping build all sorts in Malawai including a sports facility, as well as being a long time patron of a rugby club aimed at getting kids in Bermuda off the streets.

If anyone honestly thinks he’s a bad guy because of his political leanings or because he stiffed someone in a ring decades ago they need to have a word with themselves 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I follow him on Twitter. He does a ton of charity work. Have to respect him for that.

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So I'm the only one who likes the Luger/Hansen feud in late '90? 

No. My parents bought me WCW Halloween Havoc 1990 VHS. WCW VHS were difficult to get unlike readily available WWF. That was my introduction to Stan Hansen. Me and my Dad couldn't believe Hansen would defeat Lex Luger yet he did.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Why apologize for something that was blessedly civil? You've done no wrong which stood out so much that it merits apology. 

It's unfortunately difficult to find anyone who wants to praise something Luger was involved with. 

I'll give Lex Luger praise for his match with Ricky Steamboat at The Great American Bash 1989, beating Fuck Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight Title on WCW Monday Nitro in August 1997 and those noises he made when selling. Ooh, aghh. 

Edited by The Natural

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

People like to pretend they personally know wrestlers based on something they read in WON 15 years ago. They will likely be hitting those same talking points in the "RIP JBL" thread.

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'll give Lex Luger praise for his match with Ricky Steamboat at The Great American Bash 1989, beating Fuck Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight Title on Nitro and those noises he made when selling. Ooh, aghh. 

Don't sleep on the pre-nWo Jimmy Hart "heel behind Sting's back" run.

• Like 4

Lex "heel behind Sting's back" Luger is on my short list of favorite angles of all time.  In no small part due to the fact that Luger never actually turned on Sting, just consistently let him down like the unreliable friend he was.

Does anyone know of another situation/promotion where this was done?

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 2

would definitely like to know if this was done anywhere else because my hypothesis has been that it basically could only be done with Lex Luger and Sting because it relied so much on their kayfabe history in WCW/with each other

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

would definitely like to know if this was done anywhere else because my hypothesis has been that it basically could only be done with Lex Luger and Sting because it relied so much on their kayfabe history in WCW/with each other

I watched New York Knockout (the Clash with the Flair/Funk I Quit match) the other day. The second half of the show is basically a Luger/Sting angle that's awesome. The buildup to Starrcade: Future Shock compared to the actual show is night and day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'll give Lex Luger praise for his match with Ricky Steamboat at The Great American Bash 1989, beating Fuck Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight Title on WCW Monday Nitro in August 1997 and those noises he made when selling. Ooh, aghh. 

Don't forget always pointing and making lines with his finger while doing promos. Tony Schiavone pointed that out while riffing on Luger in his podcast and I can't unsee it now.

• Like 2

I remember liking Luger vs. Pillman.    Fuck,  I think I like everything from Luger from like '87 through '97.   What's wrong with people?  He was awesome in the horsemen,  he was awesome as a singles heel act,  he was awesome as a babyface United States champion ass kicker,  he was awesome as a backstabbing son of bitch "friend" of Sting, he was great in the whole Lex Express thing and the feud with Yoko..   it's just that he didn't go over in a real way. 

I don't remember much about him as The Narcissist. 

Him taking the title off Hogan for a week was the highlight of Nitro that year. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Don't forget always pointing and making lines with his finger while doing promos. Tony Schiavone pointed that out while riffing on Luger in his podcast and I can't unsee it now.

Now I can't :). 

I think opinions on Luger have largely been poisoned by shoot interview comments from other workers and Scott Keith opinions.

I’ve never really had a problem with his work but the only time he’s ever really entertained me was his brief run as Narcissist

Luger was one of those guys who was as good as whoever he was working with. Put him in with a ring general, he would rise to the occasion, put him in with a stiff, he would stink the joint up. The idea of calling a match apparently never occurred to him.

His babyface promos after the Horsemen fucked him over are some of the best babyface promos you'll see. Wildly inconsistent on the mic (YOUR T-SHIRTS ARE TOO TIGHT, BILLY!) and as OSJ said, played to the level of his opponent but Luger rules. Shades of grey '96, being the WCW torchbearer during the early days of the nWo invasion while Sting was in the rafters (that fucking incredible ending of WW3 and of course the pop for him beating Hogan), the great '89 run, the Yokozuna feud... So much good shit. Always seemed to have his legs cut out from under him right when he was on the verge but I'm not entirely sure he would've been a mega star had NWA/WCW/WWF fully committed. It's almost like he was just a bit too clever for his own good and would over-complicate his verbiage where it wouldn't sound great or he'd trip over his words. Brother should've just kept it simple, stupid (like Hogan).

Plus, his legacy will live on forever in this fashion statement:

Image result for lex luger nitro debut

• Like 1