DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As an outside observer, blue cities surrounded by a sea of red seems to apply to a lot of your map, not just the Mason-Dixon line. 

Yeah, but most of what lives in the red is cows and national parks. 

Which is not bad. I like cows, and I like national parks. Maybe we could use fewer cows because of methane release into the atmosphere, but every cow I've ever met has been friendly, and many of them have also been delicious.

I kind of enjoyed some of that Hansen/Spivey stuff, but I don't love how it was structured as a whole. I was more there for individual moments with stiff shots. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

7 hours ago, Log said:

I live in Kentucky.  Mississippi is the only state we're allowed to make fun of.

Alabama says hello.

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As an outside observer, blue cities surrounded by a sea of red seems to apply to a lot of your map, not just the Mason-Dixon line. 

I live in Houston. We haven't elected a Republican mayor in 30 years. San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin all have Democrats for mayors. But the state has two of the dirt-worst Republican Senators, a useless Republican Governor, and tends to vote red in the Presidential elections.

8 hours ago, Log said:

I learned two things today from this thread that surprised me. One is that Hansen and Vader faced each other in WCW. The other is that Mississippi has a department of education. 

That's a damn lie and you know it! There's no department of education in Mississippi. It's just some moonshiners.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

After the eyeball incident Vader and Hansen agreed to take it easy in their WCW matches haha.

as for that Smackdown trailer... why have I never thought to RKO a mannequin? GENIUS. I think the only wrestling move I’ve done in adulthood was elbow drop my suit jacket when it fell off a chair. WOOOO

Because you'd have to take a back bump on a department store floor? Not a lot of give.

5 hours ago, PB-13 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why I see houses in southern ILLINOIS flying the Confederate flag. Not only did we not secede, but a guy used to live here who put that flag out to pasture.

I live in North East Wisconsin. We get them up here. They fly them in POLAND, so you figure it out.

8 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Alabama says hello.

I live in Houston. We haven't elected a Republican mayor in 30 years. San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin all have Democrats for mayors. But the state has two of the dirt-worst Republican Senators, a useless Republican Governor, and tends to vote red in the Presidential elections.

Why do you think they're doing anything they can to prevent non-white people from living there by any means? That's enough political crap. We need this thread open for another day!

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I see those fucking things in New Hampshire, can't get too much Northern than that ☹️

I've seen in southern Jersey, but southern Jersey is very different from north and central Jersey.

• Like 1

Aw, but I wanted to talk about why Ann Richards should have gone over Dubya in 1994 so that Dubya could have instead gone on to feud with Bud Selig over the MLB commissionership. 

• Like 1

Before I head out tonight I'm watching some old stuff on NJ World. It's a crying shame how bare bones their archives are. So far I've watched:

Sasaki vs Takayama G1 8/8/04

Chono + Muta vs TenKoji 1/4/07

Yano + Makabe vs Tenzan + Iizuka 5/27/08

Tenzan vs Iizuka Dog Collar Deathmatch 10/13/08

Anderson + Bernard vs TenKoji 5/3/09

Apollo 55 vs Golden Lovers 10/11/10

Suzuki ve Nakamura 8/14/11

10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Aw, but I wanted to talk about why Ann Richards should have gone over Dubya in 1994 so that Dubya could have instead gone on to feud with Bud Selig over the MLB commissionership. 

Wouldn’t have made any difference. That picture of Braun and W suggests both he and Selig like ‘me big. 

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've seen in southern Jersey, but southern Jersey is very different from north and central Jersey.

I thought Central Jersey was a myth?

So, Wrestling Chat. I'm watching Impact from Mexico and they've got the overhead camera looking straight down on the ring. They've used it once and we're an hour into the show.

Golden Magic is a good wrestler. So is Taurus, but I think that's more common knowledge.

4 hours ago, PB-13 said:

At any rate...HEY, busy weekend. All Out, Royal Quest, AAW Jim Lynam Tournament, and UK Takeover. Going to Dynamo Pro tomorrow night and will catch up on the rest on Sunday.

Just wanted to say, I am feeling particularly blessed this weekend with the current state of wrestling, you can’t move without bumping into top quality matches and engaging, talented wrestlers, and a new weekly show round the corner too.

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

I thought Central Jersey was a myth?

So, Wrestling Chat. I'm watching Impact from Mexico and they've got the overhead camera looking straight down on the ring. They've used it once and we're an hour into the show.

Golden Magic is a good wrestler. So is Taurus, but I think that's more common knowledge.

Not a myth

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Alabama says hello.

Huh, never realized this. Its always depressing voting in the presidential elections knowing my vote means so little because the state votes red. Its nice to know the major cities don't necessarily do so.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:37 PM, mattdangerously said:

Hansen and Sid teamed up to murder a couple of jobbers on an episode of Worldwide in 91. And his WrestleWar 91 match against Vader was fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That was a solid squash elevated by the stretcher spots. 

Sid remains the Vince Carter of pro wrestling; you look at his gifts for pro wrestling (size, mega-star charisma, dope Powerbomb) and wonder how he stuck around so long and didn't rack up rings. 

Though I maintain that his two title runs in 1996/1997 WWF were hugely important in the company's history by helping them bridge the early '90s doldrums and the revitalized, money-making (but pretty terrible in retrospect IMO) Attitude era.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Log said:

As a native of Southern Illinois, I can tell you that, despite the location on the map, it is the South.  

If anyone doubts this, just watch In The Heat of The Night because that's where they filmed this movie set in "the deep south" and I'll be damned if anyone could tell the difference then or now.