DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Agreed. To me though, Jarrett was kinda the right guy, really wrong era. By 2000, I got tired of this motherfucker bouncing back between promotions being repackaged every other year and it not working. Is he suppose to be Stone Cold 2.0? Why is he coming out to a midi version of a Kid Rock song? Why is he making semi-shoot comments? What the fuck is up with him saying slapnuts? His work was never good enough to be the top guy, which was never the WCW criteria from 1994 on but in an era where the guys who can work are leaving a sinking ship, that worked heavily against him. He has a great match with Chris Benoit at Starrcade 99 and then Chris Benoit leaves WCW 3 or 4 weeks later. Jarrett felt like he got the role because everyone worth a damn had already left (or sat at home collecting paychecks), WCW's overall ineptness, and the godawful booking. It was so hard to buy him as being the guy because most of the stuff they had him do was so contrived.

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Agreed with the second, but I think it changes the right guy, wrong era thing on Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett is a great example of the Peter Principle more than "right guy, wrong era", and main eventer in the national era happens to be Jarrett's level of incompetence. On the regional scene he's a perfectly acceptable top guy. On a national promotion, he's an absolutely capable midcarder...but try him in the main event, he's going to be terrible. And do a damn fool thing like building the whole promotion around him? You get WCW in 2000 and TNA in its early run.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You don't want to be the top guy in a dying promotion especially one where is there is no sign of hope anytime soon. That's going to have a lasting impact on your legacy. If they had a booker who was willing to turn it into JCP circa 1983 or Memphis when Lawler was getting hot and the talent was there, Jarrett wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. However, with WCW being in the shape it was in and Jarrett already having that stigma and stench of repeated failed gimmicks over and over, they weren't going to get a proper handle on what he was suppose to be. So he comes off like this cartoony ECW lite manifestation, but in the ring, the same Jeff Jarrett we've always known but with 150% more random guitar shots. 

Jeff Jarrett was capable on the mic and in ring.  He was simply put a casualty of terrible booking.  Both his pal Russo’s and his own.  Worse performers have been crowned world champions.  WCW had such a laundry list of bad booking that it’s hard to even remember what Jerry’s kid was even involved in.  His legacy was made off of booking himself as a lame duck champion.  Endlessly running bad angles and finishes to hold his own company’s title.  He was in the position not unlike where AEW is now and he completely squandered it because he couldn’t see the errors of his and his booking committee’s ways.  And made clear his ego was not able to be kept in check.  I didn’t endure that smelly brown streak that was his TNA run but I read about it and completely get the hate ppl have for him.  But again, in the right hands Jarrett was very capable.  Just not a main event draw - few are.

I like the Memphis highlights and I think his WWF runs were really good.  I thought he was a great mid card heel.  His last run as intercontinental champion, tho very distasteful, was a lot of fun.  Also, dug seeing him pop up in the Harmony Korine summer classic ‘Spring Breakers’.  

To me, the issue is that Jarrett was almost always booked as a heel when his best work is as a fiery babyface (Memphis) or as a sympathetic babyface (TNA). 

He's kind of a shitty heel, tbh, but as a face, he's really quite good. That "widower dad trying to raise his daughters and do his best" period in TNA was a re-revelation to me about how effective a face he can be. 

I also think he has great facial expressions and body language as a face, but as a heel, he's total mediocrity, IMO. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Alternatively, the new Freebirds will be Bam Bam Bayley, Mandy P. S. Rose and Billie Kay Roberts.

The thought of Mandy Rose wearing nothing but the confederate flag is pretty hot. Then, she takes it off and drops a steamy dump on it.

...or she gets Michael Hayes levels of fucked up and pisses all over it

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd add Edge to The Undertaker as the Undertaker couldn't sit up with what happened to him, made for a good visual that and Seth Rollins on Brock Lesnar but that's a divisive one.

Y'all forgot Ambrose finally getting his hands on Rollins and Daniel Bryan cashes in. The Carmella one was good, too...

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 6:38 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The cash ins make no sense and help nobody. It was fine with Edge because he was a scum bag exploiting a contractural loophole nobody had ever thought of before. Now? Why hasn’t the loophole been closed? 

Not only has it not been closed, it now seems like that's the only way you can cash in. At least, that's the only kayfabe explanation I can come up with for Braun not cashing in on Brock immediately the year he won it. Other than Braun being a pussy who's scared of Brock, which presumably was not what the writers were going for.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Okay, I need this full episode now.

I got you. ?

Loved those Double Dare clips. I'll watch the full ep later. I watched me a lot of Double Dare/Nick growing up, but I've never seen those clips. Gorilla was huge next to Marc Summers (who totally undersold that intro), but then Brain comes down the steps, remains 2-3 steps above Monsoon and Summers, towering over both of them! Kids seemed to pop well for them. Tremendous!  

15 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I got you. ?

Marc: What do you want to be when you grow older?

David: I want to be an actor.

Marc: You want to be an actor? Well you gotta talk to Bobby.

What a fucking shoot. He got Bobby good, with that one.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Career based:

Arn Anderson

Bobby Eaton

Steve Austin

Larry Zybysko

Rick Rude

Funny thing is Rude probably had the best 2 year peak. All 5 were amazing.

Man, I'd put Zbyszko dead last.  I know his stalling was legendary but that works when you are in the arena live and have nowhere to go.  As a little kid, I can't tell you how many ESPN shows I switched channels on once I figured out that Larry was going to spend five minutes stalling.  And sometimes I didn't go back.  And he really did seem to spend the 80s living off the Bruno angle.

Austin, Eaton, Anderson, Rude, Zbyszko.  If this is all-inclusive, Bobby Eaton in Memphis (and World Class) destroys Arn's pre-Crockett career.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I thought about this match then wondered if it ever happened - did Curt Hennig and Chris Jericho ever wrestle in WCW?

It happened and it was almost the last match of Chris Jericho's career:

• Like 5

I'd put Rude's 1992 up against anyone else's best year and feel good about the comparison. 

It's too bad that it didn't end in a WCW Heavyweight Championship reign because of injury.

That whole Rude/Steamboat feud is fire. 

• Like 4