DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Jeff Jarrett was closer to WCW’s Matt Taven than WCW’s Roman Reigns. Total midcarder in the right place at the right time to become the top guy. And as others have said, people weren’t as mad because by 2000 you had to keep your expectations of WCW pretty low already so nobody really cared.

Agreed. To me though, Jarrett was kinda the right guy, really wrong era. By 2000, I got tired of this motherfucker bouncing back between promotions being repackaged every other year and it not working. Is he suppose to be Stone Cold 2.0? Why is he coming out to a midi version of a Kid Rock song? Why is he making semi-shoot comments? What the fuck is up with him saying slapnuts? His work was never good enough to be the top guy, which was never the WCW criteria from 1994 on but in an era where the guys who can work are leaving a sinking ship, that worked heavily against him. He has a great match with Chris Benoit at Starrcade 99 and then Chris Benoit leaves WCW 3 or 4 weeks later. Jarrett felt like he got the role because everyone worth a damn had already left (or sat at home collecting paychecks), WCW's overall ineptness, and the godawful booking. It was so hard to buy him as being the guy because most of the stuff they had him do was so contrived.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only time Jeff Jarrett was ever worth more than a wet fart was when he was bleeding in Memphis

The MMA enthusiast angle was fun while it lasted. And the feud with Kurt Angle had some good promos, and even matches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Agreed. To me though, Jarrett was kinda the right guy, really wrong era. By 2000, I got tired of this motherfucker bouncing back between promotions being repackaged every other year and it not working. Is he suppose to be Stone Cold 2.0? Why is he coming out to a midi version of a Kid Rock song? Why is he making semi-shoot comments? What the fuck is up with him saying slapnuts? His work was never good enough to be the top guy, which was never the WCW criteria from 1994 on but in an era where the guys who can work are leaving a sinking ship, that worked heavily against him. He has a great match with Chris Benoit at Starrcade 99 and then Chris Benoit leaves WCW 3 or 4 weeks later. Jarrett felt like he got the role because everyone worth a damn had already left (or sat at home collecting paychecks), WCW's overall ineptness, and the godawful booking. It was so hard to buy him as being the guy because most of the stuff they had him do was so contrived.

Agreed with the second, but I think it changes the right guy, wrong era thing on Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett is a great example of the Peter Principle more than "right guy, wrong era", and main eventer in the national era happens to be Jarrett's level of incompetence. On the regional scene he's a perfectly acceptable top guy. On a national promotion, he's an absolutely capable midcarder...but try him in the main event, he's going to be terrible. And do a damn fool thing like building the whole promotion around him? You get WCW in 2000 and TNA in its early run.

3 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Agreed with the second, but I think it changes the right guy, wrong era thing on Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett is a great example of the Peter Principle more than "right guy, wrong era", and main eventer in the national era happens to be Jarrett's level of incompetence. On the regional scene he's a perfectly acceptable top guy. On a national promotion, he's an absolutely capable midcarder...but try him in the main event, he's going to be terrible. And do a damn fool thing like building the whole promotion around him? You get WCW in 2000 and TNA in its early run.

You don't want to be the top guy in a dying promotion especially one where is there is no sign of hope anytime soon. That's going to have a lasting impact on your legacy. If they had a booker who was willing to turn it into JCP circa 1983 or Memphis when Lawler was getting hot and the talent was there, Jarrett wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. However, with WCW being in the shape it was in and Jarrett already having that stigma and stench of repeated failed gimmicks over and over, they weren't going to get a proper handle on what he was suppose to be. So he comes off like this cartoony ECW lite manifestation, but in the ring, the same Jeff Jarrett we've always known but with 150% more random guitar shots. 

On the list of "best things Jarrett has ever done..."

On one episode of TNA, Jarrett and his crew were cutting a promo and the smart marks kept chanting "DROP THE BELT!  DROP THE BELT!"

Jarret got a goofy grin on his face and literally dropped the belt.

The he picked it up and cackled like an asshole.  It was wonderful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Jumping off that point up above, does Larry Zbyszko's AWA reign toward the end of the promotion get talked about as a black mark on his legacy? 

Actually, what is his legacy? Basically, I only really ever hear people talk about two other things besides his days on top of the dying AWA: his feud with Bruno and his awful commentary in mid-'90s WCW. 

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Jumping off that point up above, does Larry Zbyszko's AWA reign toward the end of the promotion get talked about as a black mark on his legacy? 

Actually, what is his legacy? Basically, I only really ever hear people talk about two other things besides his days on top of the dying AWA: his feud with Bruno and his awful commentary in mid-'90s WCW. 

What about his great feud with Lord Steven Regal and him standing up to Eric Bischoff and the NwO?

• Like 3

Just now, Infinit said:

What about his great feud with Lord Steven Regal and him standing up to Eric Bischoff and the NwO?

This is a good post, and I should clarify that there are other things that I like about his work (most notably the Dangerous Alliance stuff), but I'm just talking about what I see people saying about him more than the nuanced sort of viewpoint on his career that you'd see here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Tonight on Raw

Sasha Banks vs Jobbin Nat
Bayley vs Nikki Cross

So, with Heyman "at the book", we might could assume that Nikki pulls off the win against Bam Bam Bayley for the belt?

1 minute ago, nate said:

So, with Heyman "at the book", we might could assume that Nikki pulls off the win against Bam Bam Bayley for the belt?

Don't bersmirsh Bam Bam like that!

Either of them!

• Haha 1