DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

2 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I’m bored: Time Machine Booking. 8 match card. Pick the wrestlers and what year they’re from. Best cards get a trophy like.

Koji Kanemoto & Shinjiro Otani vs Art Barr & Eddy Guerrero

Bruiser Brody & Cactus Jack vs Atsushi Onita & W*ING Kanemura

Hana Kimura & Jungle Kyona vs Akira Hokuto & Manami Toyota

David Starr vs Bret Hart

Marty Scurll & The Young Bucks vs Will Ospreay, Jushin Liger & Great Sasuke

Toshiaki Kawada vs Fit Finlay

Vader & Bigelow & Samoa Joe vs Steiner Brothers & Michael Elgin

Kenny Omega & Rich Swann vs Dynamite Kid & Rollerball Rocco

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I’m bored: Time Machine Booking. 8 match card. Pick the wrestlers and what year they’re from. Best cards get a trophy like.

One night Battlebowl tourney, featuring teams comprised of random pairings of these 16 wrestlers:

Peak Vader.  Peak Danielson.  Peak Samoa Joe.  Peak Sting. Peak Bret.  Peak Savage.  Peak Hennig.  Peak Owen.  Peak Liger.  Peak Eddie.  Peak Angle.  Peak Lesnar.  Peak Muta.  Peak Flair.  Peak Steamboat.  Peak Punk.

Battle Royal of the winners as the main, where the last two have a standard one-fall match.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nate said:

One night Battlebowl tourney, featuring teams comprised of random pairings of these 16 wrestlers:

Peak Vader.  Peak Danielson.  Peak Samoa Joe.  Peak Sting. Peak Bret.  Peak Savage.  Peak Hennig.  Peak Owen.  Peak Liger.  Peak Eddie.  Peak Angle.  Peak Lesnar.  Peak Muta.  Peak Flair.  Peak Steamboat.  Peak Punk.

Battle Royal of the winners as the main, where the last two have a standard one-fall match.

Then I got curious, so I ran this three times:

Random trial 1:

Flair/Muta vs. Eddie/Danielson

Vader/Owen vs. Bret/Joe

Angle/Sting vs. Hennig/Steamboat

Liger/Punk vs. Lesnar/Savage

Random trial 2:

Vader/Steamboat vs. Liger/Bret

Sting/Joe vs. Savage/Lesnar

Hennig/Danielson vs. Angle/Flair

Owen/Eddie vs. Muta/Punk

Random trial 3:

Liger/Muta vs. Flair/Punk

Savage/Joe vs. Angle/Steamboat

Vader/Lesnar vs. Bret/Owen

Eddie/Danielson vs. Hennig/Sting

That Savage/Lesnar team, though.

THAT EDDIE/DANIELSON TEAM, THOUGH.

Edited by nate
Yeah, I don't know how I fucked that up.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Suplex City? Yeah, blame the fans for that one.

Well I think that was more the WWE’s literal interpretation of Suplex City to mean ‘ten German suplexes and an F5’.

When Brock shouted out ‘Suplex City, bitch!’ it was a cool statement that summed up the inevitable arse kicking to come. So folks started chanted it.

It would be akin to seeing ‘Austin 3:16’ catching on and then WWE making Austin stand in a pulpit every week giving a sermon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I never want to see that stupid briefcase or cash-in gimmick ever again.

Contrarily, I LOVE the MITB briefcase and cash-ins.  There’s no easier way to pop the crowd than to tease a cash-in.  Sure they often lead to short-term pops that result in long term storyline problems but you can most of that on WWE/Vince not plotting things out long term (Seriously have they planned anything long term since Reigns-Lesnar which they scrapped at the last second anyways).   

Changes I’d make to the MITB to make it more...better:

1. Go back to guys/gals carrying the case long term.  The last few they get rid of the whole thing in a hurry. Part of what made the Edge one so exciting was that he held it for soooo long.  

2. MITB winners should be younger, up and comer type wrestlers.  Lesnar, Bayley et al. are much less interesting picks than, say, Big E and Ember Moon.  Even if it’s just a flash pin situation guys like Punk and Ziggler using it felt like bigger moments than Bayley and Lesnar.  

3. The MITB case should be defended on occasion like a belt.  Heck, you could make it a belt.  

04. For the love of all that is holy, stop calling the case holders “Mr. Money in the Bank” or “Ms Money in the Bank” (Or Monster in the Bank, ffs)! It sounds so stupid and always reminds me of this:

• Like 1

I could do with fewer ladder matches in general. 

There is no way to consume wrestling without doing so in a way that derives enjoyment from guys having mini-car crashes every time they bump, but even knowing that, I just can't get into these ladder matches where guys are taking bumps from way up, plummeting through tables or other gimmicked ladders or what-have-you anymore. 

I think my tastes have skewed toward wrestling that isn't so fast-paced AND bump-heavy at the same time. I basically watch old-school WoS and a lot of slower-paced '70s stuff. I went on a '70s AWA run on YouTube just recently. This has also happened to me with sports, as I don't watch American football anymore and I really only watch soccer and basketball (and yes, I know soccer players get CTE from heading the soccer ball, but there aren't a bunch of Richie Incognitos running around the sport, either). 

I'd much rather watch Jerry Lawler work a match around a cut eyebrow and a bunch of punches than watch dudes kill themselves falling from height. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

While we’re at it, I could do with fewer car crash ladder matches. 

Fuck yeah... I can’t stand multi-man ladder matches, with all the contrived set-ups just to create contrived spots. Like when somebody is going to climb a ladder, but before he does that, he decides to wedge another ladder in there for no reason at all.

Those Mania 3-ways from the early 00’s age like the Pepsi inside the golden Yoda collectible can.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

I still have a fondness for those wild ladder matches of nearly two decades ago. But that freshness has long since disappeared. That NXT tag match couple months back was the dirt worst. Too close to MITB to stand out. Too many teams without any serious heat. Too many risks in a match nobody remembered two weeks later. I felt nothing positive watching that. 

I quite used to love those Hardys/E+C/Dudleys matches too, but knowing how Edge and Christian both had to retire because of neck issues and how Jeff's got a narcotics problem now, that makes them hard to watch for me.

The closer that I creep toward forty, the more my tastes change, and in some pretty significant ways. I think the only two things about wrestling that I will continue to think until I'm dead is that Randy Savage was awesome and 1992 WCW is amazing.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

Heck, with all the questions of the problem of MITB, I'm just shocked that WWE hasn't done the Breakthrough Battle Royal since the one time they did it to build to Sheamus/Cena.

The concept of: "Qualifying matches to go to a battle royal, winner gets a shot at the champion for the World Title, and only people who would be a first-time World Champion are eligible to qualify"  would have all the benefits of MITB at its best, and none of the problems MITB has at its worst.

Present Walter vs 1995 Bret Hart
WarGames: 1989 Sting, 1983 Hulk Hogan, 1987 Road Warriors and 1996 Shawn Michaels vs. 1993 Vader, 2005 Samoa Joe, 1978 Andre The Giant, 2006 Big Show and 1992 Ric Flair
1998 Chris Jericho vs 1988 Randy Savage
1992 Mick Foley vs 2006 John Cena
The Fiend and 1986 Jake Roberts vs 1989 Ricky Steamboat and 1992 Brian Pillman
1978 Roddy Piper vs 2004 Eddy Guerrero
1987 Tully and Arn vs 2006 London and Kendrick vs The Viking Raiders vs 1992 Steiners
Current Day Koko B Ware and Future Dustin from Stranger Things vs 1993 AC Slater and 1993 Dick Slater

• Thanks 1

Rey Misterio Jr vs Tiger Mask

Owen Hart & Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho & Eddy Guerrero

Hulk Hogan vs Walter

Mr Perfect & Rick Rude vs The Kings of Wrestling 

Toshiaki Kawada vs Samoa Joe

Bret Hart vs Brad Armstrong

Shinya Hashimoto vs Jumbo Tsuruta

Steve Austin vs Harley Race

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you were to nominate matches where either:

a) two good workers simply wouldn't mesh together and it results in an unexpected trainwreck (think Hennig/Michaels at Summerslam)
b) a match featuring one great to good worker with the biggest challenge for them to get a good match possible

What would they be?

For a), I don't understand how Bret/Angle is constantly trumpeted as a  dream match - I genuinely think it'd be a trainwreck watching Bret try to work a slower pace, only for Angle to be popping up during every single one of the five moves of doom, and trying to turn them into suplex sequences or Angle Slam reversal two counts.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Ric Flair/Captain Lou Albano match for B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

If you were to nominate matches where either:

a) two good workers simply wouldn't mesh together and it results in an unexpected trainwreck (think Hennig/Michaels at Summerslam)
b) a match featuring one great to good worker with the biggest challenge for them to get a good match possible

What would they be?

A) Basically anybody prior to 2002 North American wrestling Vs. 90’s AJPW’s top roster in the US. If these guys bitched about DDP, and Savage scripting, just wait till foreigners ask them to plan spots before matches.

B) Back to 90’s AJPW... Savage, or DDP Vs. 90’s AJPW. Specifically DDP, who I know would mesh well with those guys since DDP loved to choreograph counter spots into his matches.